Gransnet forums

AIBU

Too many toys

(80 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Thu 10-Mar-22 07:51:00

Spent yesterday at daughters house helping with change around of bedrooms so that grandchildren have a room each. Previously they were sharing with bunk beds and 3rd bedroom was a playroom. They are 6 and 4 years old.
I was shocked by the amount of toys they have. I know I have contributed at Xmas and birthdays but it's not until you get to empty a playroom that it hits you. Rather disappointed that remote controls are not with expensive toys so don't get played with . Somewhere in a toy box mum !
Think there is going to be a trip to a charity shop to declutter at some time. Just want to go back today and find remotes but don't think I should interfere.
Maybe it comes from having very few toys myself as a child. A doll, stuffed rabbit and a troll horse were cherished along with a couple of board games and a scooter.
What do others think about toys for grandchildren ? Do they have too many ?

Farmor15 Thu 10-Mar-22 15:47:22

I had a lot of toys as a child, compared with others. But I was an only child and I think the toys were meant to compensate for lack of siblings. Our own children also had a lot of toys, but we were quite careful with them and kept all the ‘bits’ together. As a result, the better ones were kept and now played with by grandchildren.
It looks to me as if grandchildren’s houses are full of toys - one daughter in particular is a shopaholic! However, she does sort them now and then and try to keep the bits together, as I did and it’s not my place to judge.
To some extent I blame the ‘middle aisle’ of Lidl and Aldi where there are always some toys to tempt!

mumofmadboys Thu 10-Mar-22 16:53:28

Although children have too many toys, we only have to look in our wardrobes to see we have too many clothes!

Beswitched Thu 10-Mar-22 21:22:06

I wonder if it affects their imaginations? Although I suppose ipads and tablets do that anyway. Just remembering the ways we could create games and scenarios out of very little.

Apparently toys are old hat to most children nowadays by the time they're about 7. I find that terribly sad.

Sara1954 Fri 11-Mar-22 06:36:35

Beswitched
I too find it sad, we have three living here. The boy in particular can barely be parted from his gadgets and can be quite stroppy when he has to put them down.
The oldest girl loves her IPad but a lot of that is chatting to friends and making videos, not ideal, but at least a bit of variety, just the little one still playing.

M0nica Fri 11-Mar-22 07:11:37

We have always taken direction from DS &DDiL as to what to buy for birthdays and Christmas and they generally asked us not to buy toys, and generally we haven't.

Their big problem is that they had children quite late and have a social group which is mainly childless or with grown-up children, so their children have been 'adopted' by the whole group, who shower them with presents at Christmas and birthdays

However, now both are at secondary school, this flow is easing off - a little -

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Mar-22 07:44:51

We all have too much stuff, which is why the world is in the state it is in.

H1954 Fri 11-Mar-22 07:48:54

Some years ago, as a family, we set some rules for birthday and Christmas gifts - NO plastic tat and a strict budget. The budget was necessary because one particular relative always spent more than anyone else and made sure everyone knew.

Parents are always consulted in advance and now the GC are older more often than not it is money instead of toys. Two of the GC are musically gifted and instruments aren't cheap, it's a lovely feeling hearing them play something that we've contributed to.

All the parents regularly sort through the toys, those that are in good condition/complete/still in boxes are donated to a women's refuge or another charity locally. I know they plan to sort through the soft toys for the Ukraine refugee appeal this weekend.

Esspee Fri 11-Mar-22 09:20:20

I solve that problem by giving intangible gifts such as dance lessons or passes to Virtual Reality and the like.

Amalegra Fri 11-Mar-22 11:52:23

Yes my grandchildren are given /acquire too many toys! My daughter is very organised, she keeps all the bits together so they are all ready to be played with and regularly has clear outs which go to friends with younger children or to the charity shop. So she doesn’t get too overwhelmed! I ask for suggestions as to what to buy or give money to put towards a larger item, such as last years super duper trampoline for the garden. I also buy clothes along with a smaller toy. This year for Easter all four of them are getting new sweatshirts rather than Easter eggs (again, they get too many!) or a small toy. I keep toys at my house for them and have just bought yet ANOTHER play kitchen for my youngest granddaughter as I did for the others as those were played with inside and out to the point of destruction! I have found, and so has my daughter, that being a little more discriminating can also help to keep the clutter down.

Roddi3363 Fri 11-Mar-22 11:55:43

Children love loose parts such as large cardboard boxes, den making and imaginative play. Smaller stuff like sticks, shells, cones, pebbles to create with are also great inside or out when adapted to the developmental phase of the child.
Rather than presents try experiences and opportunities.

cc Fri 11-Mar-22 11:59:03

What I can't understand is the huge number of soft toys, particularly the bigger ones. They don't really play with most of them, though I know some children play more imaginatively with dolls.
We have a lot of Orchard Toys games at our house, the three year old particularly enjoys playing with them, but I keep them here as I know that they'd get mixed up and lost at their house.
I wish toy manufacturers would sell games in sturdy plastic boxes, even the stronger cardboard ends up falling apart so bits get lost.
I bought a lovely little wooden garage for the three year old at Christmas, it's small enough to store easily and has a carrying handle. There are no plastic parts to break and the little toy cars store safely inside.
I don't think this is a new problem though. I had four children, three years between each, so they were never at ages when they would share toys - hence quite a few toys for each.
When I was a child my mother used to have regular clear-outs to keep the quantities down and I remember being very upset when I found my rabbit soft toy at a local bring and buy.

pamdixon Fri 11-Mar-22 12:21:20

My grandchildren have vast quantities of toys I have to admit. Perhaps now would be the time to get each child to donate a few things for the poor Ukranian children?

Nannashirlz Fri 11-Mar-22 12:38:22

My sons give them to charity or sell when outgrown toys. Yes we didn’t have some many as kids but unfortunately nowadays kids don’t know how well off their are. But I’m guilty for overbuying them too. Specially with covid hit. Couldn’t see them so got toys etc sent. But when my youngest grandson was born I born him some sketchers and have done for last few years. Daughter inlaw liked that can go into washer machine and come out looking new. So follow year she asked me to get them again if I didn’t mind. So I have done ever since. For his birthday which is Jan 1st. Other grandkids get pjs etc.

GoldenAge Fri 11-Mar-22 12:39:21

Too much of everything really, but that's capitalism for you. If things weren't in the shops or online, they couldn't be bought. In terms of toys, I believe they're as valuable as books in stimulating imagination and in providing counsellors and psychotherapists observing children' play with useful insights into developing personalities/insecurities etc.

sazz1 Fri 11-Mar-22 12:46:11

My DIL gives me good condition outgrown toys and games to sell on FB or Eb. The money goes into DGCs savings account and it gives me an interest now I'm retired

Soozikinzi Fri 11-Mar-22 13:11:27

I'm not being a know all because I know we like giving our DGCs presents but we pay for ours to do an activity like forest school or a dance class for Xmas and birthday presents. That seems to work well and I do remind their parents from time to time to let them know the club whatever is from us .

knspol Fri 11-Mar-22 13:32:37

I think my GD accumulated lots of stuff after birthday parties. Invite a dozen children and there are a dozen boxes of presents most of which are never touched and eventually go to the charity shop. Such a shame but who would let their child show up without a present?

Happysexagenarian Fri 11-Mar-22 13:35:49

Yes, too many toys, too much technology, too many clothes and too much junk food.

Mummer Fri 11-Mar-22 13:52:26

Back in the day when I had contact with my 3gk my son sorted their huge amount of playthings into boxes then stored them high on shelves out of reach Nd rotated them when he noticed them getting bored and stuff being discarded.i bought a junior magazine sub fro my GS aged 7 at the time of AQUILA but I'm not sure he actually got it or if son and nasty partner binned them! Anyways I think subs. Are a great way to gift, they can be educational and for little ones twinkle and others available are great. I remember my Look and Learn mags and annuals well, I just loved them and learned so very much, in fact more than I did at my private posh but useless prep school!!! Our little neighbour gets a tenner for his piggy bank from us for birthdays and Christmas he's nearly 2!! (granpa is a retired banker so I'm certain he'll have one!!) Toys should be for parents to buy and nobody else in my view.

MaggsMcG Fri 11-Mar-22 14:15:34

Part of the problem from the previous post I think. Too many toys not enough educational encouragement. Not enough proper interaction. Not accusing the OP or her grandchildren just a general fact. Same thing happened to me about 5 years ago. Took us two whole days to clear out the "spare" room so my granddaughters could have a room each.

oodles Fri 11-Mar-22 14:31:27

Children need appropriate toys, not necessarily educational ones, but ones that encourage their interests, imagination and are fun
Children don't go out and buy toys, it's a parent's responsibility to make sure they have ones that will be played with, it's good if grandparents give money to go towards swings, bikes and adding to construction toys or suchlike, an instrument or dancing lessons and help older children learn to sew or knit, do woodwork or gardening or do other crafts, if that interests the children,

grandtanteJE65 Fri 11-Mar-22 15:14:10

I suspect that as long as life expectancy has been long enough for people to actually see their grandchildren, grandparents and great aunts and uncles have voiced the complaint that children these days have too many toys and clothes..

I know the elder generation of my family said this when I was little.

If toys lie around unplayed with, it is not necessarily because the child has too many other toys. It might just as well be because some loving adult bought the child what he or she thought the child would like, or what he or she would have liked but never had as a child, rather than what the child wanted!

These kind grown-ups persistantly gave me colouring books and paint boxes although I never was interested in colouring, drawing or painting. Then they wondered why I didn't play with the things they had given me!

Some of them even gave me a book I ALREADY HAD, rather than the one that I had mentioned on a wishing list. One aunt even gave me Grimm's Fairy Tales twice, although my mother had mentioned that they were not at all to either my or my sister's taste.

Rant over.

Hithere Fri 11-Mar-22 15:26:18

Good rant

Cossy Fri 11-Mar-22 15:40:08

Yes far too many but lots bought for me

Cossy Fri 11-Mar-22 15:40:21

By me !!!