Gransnet forums

AIBU

Too many toys

(80 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Thu 10-Mar-22 07:51:00

Spent yesterday at daughters house helping with change around of bedrooms so that grandchildren have a room each. Previously they were sharing with bunk beds and 3rd bedroom was a playroom. They are 6 and 4 years old.
I was shocked by the amount of toys they have. I know I have contributed at Xmas and birthdays but it's not until you get to empty a playroom that it hits you. Rather disappointed that remote controls are not with expensive toys so don't get played with . Somewhere in a toy box mum !
Think there is going to be a trip to a charity shop to declutter at some time. Just want to go back today and find remotes but don't think I should interfere.
Maybe it comes from having very few toys myself as a child. A doll, stuffed rabbit and a troll horse were cherished along with a couple of board games and a scooter.
What do others think about toys for grandchildren ? Do they have too many ?

Marydoll Mon 10-Apr-23 13:59:57

dragonfly46

My DGC have too many toys so I try and buy them something more useful for birthdays and Christmas. My DS and DiL really appreciate this.

This is what we do too. DGD was becoming overwhelmed, she got so much. A token gift or cash to go in her bank account.

GagaJo Mon 10-Apr-23 14:12:28

I try to buy my DGS STEM toys. He's an engineer at heart and plays for hours with building / making. The other stuff is just window dressing, but boy, is there ever too much of it. I'm currently filling bags for the charity shop, aiming to get rid of 1/3 of it, but he has a birthday around the corner so it'll just get added to again.

Ali08 Tue 11-Apr-23 21:56:43

Open bank/savings accounts for them and put birthday, Christmas or whenever money in them. The money is then there if they want or need something, or for the future!
Little gifts can still be given but ot ones that overload the house!

Primrose53 Tue 11-Apr-23 22:16:29

The thing is kids now get toys on every shopping trip rather than just Christmas and birthdays. I see it every week …. Toys go in the trolley along with the rest of the groceries.

My niece and her partner go totally overboard on their kids on birthdays and Christmas and they buy and receive from all their friend too. Imagine the piles of toys! 6 months later their brand new unopened toys are on car boot sales. Crazy.

I used to volunteer in a charity shop and the beautiful toys and books that were donated was heartbreaking. I know the charity benefited but I wonder where this will all end.