Gransnet forums

AIBU

Nachos at the cinema

(40 Posts)
Vintagejazz Mon 04-Apr-22 08:47:37

I realise cinemas make most of their money from food nowadays. But do they have to include something that has such a strong and pervasive smell?

I was nearly gagging at the weekend when we went to see Belfast.

Anyone else wish they'd ban really greasy and strong smelling food, or at least have a few performances that are food free zones.

Vintagejazz Mon 04-Apr-22 08:51:16

Sorry I meant to put this in chat. Also meant yo add that I realise this is a 1st world problem.

ElaineI Mon 04-Apr-22 11:32:56

Not been for years but sounds bizarre. What if you spill the greasy food in the dark! What's wrong with popcorn and sweets?

JaneJudge Mon 04-Apr-22 11:37:12

I think they should stick to non smelly food too. I went in February half term to see something with my son and was really shocked at the price of popcorn! They are so strict on checking whether you have taken your own stuff in too (luckily I don't feel the need to eat when i go to the pictures)

AGAA4 Mon 04-Apr-22 11:46:52

One of the reasons I rarely visit the theatre is the sound of eating and the smells. It is really off putting.
Can't people manage for a few hours without snacks?

Lucca Mon 04-Apr-22 11:49:14

JaneJudge

I think they should stick to non smelly food too. I went in February half term to see something with my son and was really shocked at the price of popcorn! They are so strict on checking whether you have taken your own stuff in too (luckily I don't feel the need to eat when i go to the pictures)

I always take my own dark chocolate covered raisins…and snacks for the grandchildren.

I think the nachos thing is disgusting.

JaneJudge Mon 04-Apr-22 11:52:02

there is a bearded man at ours that checks your bag quickly and comes in with a torch
he irritates me

Lucca Mon 04-Apr-22 11:56:07

Do they have the right to stop you and check your bag for sweets ?

JaneJudge Mon 04-Apr-22 11:58:35

I don't know but he does. I wont tell you what I call him I call him the bearded snack fondler

Lucca Mon 04-Apr-22 12:02:55

I bet legally that’s not allowed. Is it a odeon ?

JaneJudge Mon 04-Apr-22 12:07:01

cineworld

TerriBull Mon 04-Apr-22 12:13:49

My local cinema is an Everyman they practically serve up a meal if you so wish, personally I don't go to the cinema to have my face in a trough, watching a film isn't synonymous with grazing, either or, go out for a meal or watch a film! I agree Nachos and the like have too strong an odour to inflict on other people around you.

My grandchildren are coming to stay over the Easter holiday sometime, so if there's an opportunity to take them to the cinema I will, as before with them and my own kids I've taken our own goody bags, I think I was asked once, years ago at an Odeon whether we had any of our own sweets, because they weren't allowed, damn cheek! better not go through my bag, I'd regard it as an invasion of my privacy shock

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 12:15:07

I love the smell of all the food. smile
It makes me want to take out a mortgage and buy some too.

Chestnut Mon 04-Apr-22 12:16:19

If someone tried searching my bag I'd get my money back and leave the cinema, telling them in no uncertain terms why!

I'm not an eater in the cinema. I went a few times in 2019 (pre-pandemic) and had no problem with food smells or sounds, but maybe because we went mid-week in the daytime. Perhaps the munchers are in the evening?

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 12:19:18

I remember a trip to the cinema years ago.
An ex, his mum, my mum, me and my daughter.

His mum suggested the film title should have been changed in honour of our food consumption.

'Beauty and the feast' grin

Bignanny2 Mon 04-Apr-22 12:19:32

What do they do if they find something in your bag. Refund your ticket price. Because surely they have no right to take stuff from you that you have paid for ?!?!

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Apr-22 12:23:24

Just looked this up
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2022/mar/21/own-snacks-cinema-food#:~:text=For%20years%2C%20smuggling%20food,watch%20films%20in%20public%20places.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Apr-22 12:24:17

Sorry didn’t post very well, basically you’re allowed.

Vintagejazz Mon 04-Apr-22 12:36:13

Chestnut

If someone tried searching my bag I'd get my money back and leave the cinema, telling them in no uncertain terms why!

I'm not an eater in the cinema. I went a few times in 2019 (pre-pandemic) and had no problem with food smells or sounds, but maybe because we went mid-week in the daytime. Perhaps the munchers are in the evening?

Yes I think it's mainly in the evenings and at the more popular films.
I've stopped going to one cinema because it's so bad.
Also people seem incapable of staying in their seat for the duration of the film anymore - in and out.

Elizabeth27 Mon 04-Apr-22 12:37:09

Our cinema is next to Poundland, most people buy their sweets and drinks from there. They do not check anything, people openly carry their products in.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 12:39:32

I think you must be allowed.
The food outlets are different businesses from the cinema, so it's up to the customer where they purchase their munchies from.

Iam64 Mon 04-Apr-22 13:35:47

The cost of taking our grandchildren to the cinema must double because they’re used to,sweets and popcorn as part of the fun.
I’ve accepted the noise thst goes with people eating at the cinema.m I was shocked to see the same happening at a live performance of the lion witch wardrobe recently. I know it’s snotty of me but I expected theatre audiences to be able to last an hour or so without noisy eating, sweet unwrapping. ?

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 13:37:52

Did you purse your lips in their direction? grin

Iam64 Mon 04-Apr-22 13:58:15

Do you know Miss A, I may just have done that. I was super pleased with our 6 year old boys who were entranced by the production - but yes, they did have sweeties before and after the production

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 14:02:24

Strange, isn't it, how things change?
All this extra food and drink between meals is almost compulsory now.