Gransnet forums

AIBU

How embarrassing ?

(107 Posts)
Poppyjo Sun 10-Apr-22 22:03:53

I was in the kitchen with the back door wide open. I was busy and talking out loud to myself! I turned around and there was a workman standing looking at me. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Trying to think of something to say so he would not think I was mad I turned around and began talking to an imaginary cat. I felt so awful.. please tell me I am not alone in this or is it too late for me?

ElaineRI55 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:05:17

Often in the car or out for a walk on my own, I will ( fairly quietly) talk to myself or maybe pray for someone. I've had the odd strange look, but it doesn't bother me ( it might have more when I was younger I suppose). I've often felt it is probably quite therapeutic and there seem to be a fair number of articles which confirm this. For example, www.thehealthy.com/mental-health/talking-to-yourself/
I think we should all carry on regardless smile

ElaineRI55 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:06:08

I do also talk to inanimate objects and shout at the telly!

jocork Tue 12-Apr-22 13:07:28

These days so many young people walk around with earphones in holding conversations so I assume if I'm talking to myself in public, people will assume I'm on the phone. I've have quite long conversations, especially practicing for a difficult conversation I need to have. I imagine the answers I get and reply accordingly! I think it's quite common as I've always done it, though I occasionally do get funny looks!

parky642 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:07:34

pretend you are on a hands-free. I had someone passing me in the street say "hello" and i thought he was talking to me until i realised he was on his phone!

NannaFirework Tue 12-Apr-22 13:10:57

…I’d worry if I didn’t talk to myself - perfectly normal! He (work an) may have given you a fright! ! !

hazel93 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:11:18

I do say "silly cow " or similar when I have done something stupid, not a rare occurence !
A very good friend of mine, a psychologist always asserts it is fine. That is unless you talk back !

usuallyright Tue 12-Apr-22 13:18:35

Some of the most wonderful conversations I have ever had have been when I am talking to myself, so do not be concerned at all.

Joesoap Tue 12-Apr-22 13:20:32

I am glad I am not alone I often talk to myself especially when I am mad about something/ someone.

Nannashirlz Tue 12-Apr-22 13:23:21

I started to do it when we were in lockdown. Being on my own I was talking to the tv and I’ve noticed I’m doing it outside. I did it one day and turned to see this man he smiled and I said sorry though my friend was behind me lol I was on my own But how does he no you were talking to yourself. You could have had someone out of his sight He probably wouldn’t have thought much about it. Many times I’m walking down street and think ppl are talking to themselves only to notice their air plugs.

Ktsmum Tue 12-Apr-22 13:34:22

I am well known for chuntering to myself, my colleagues got used to.it and stopped answering me ?

Sue450 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:41:38

I always talking to myself even shout at the television.

Shazmo24 Tue 12-Apr-22 13:50:47

I talk to myself as it helps me to put things into order and helps me work things out

gulligranny Tue 12-Apr-22 13:55:52

I talk to myself a lot, and recently I've taken to singing quietly to myself when I'm shopping ... eeek. Actually that was quite amusing as I was in Tesco when a lady I recognised, who runs a choir, told me that I had excellent pitch and did I want to join a choir!

Sjonlegs Tue 12-Apr-22 14:04:27

grin I always talk to myself - I'm the only one who answers anyway and who makes any real sense!

@Bella wearing a mask is wonderfully devisive ... dare I say those eyes might smile but the words uttered beneath that mask aren't always repeatable!!

Mystery cat or not - who cares ... it's good to talk wink

Beham1111 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:04:43

Poppyjo

I was in the kitchen with the back door wide open. I was busy and talking out loud to myself! I turned around and there was a workman standing looking at me. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. Trying to think of something to say so he would not think I was mad I turned around and began talking to an imaginary cat. I felt so awful.. please tell me I am not alone in this or is it too late for me?

I don't talk to myself. I often think aloud though!

GreenGran78 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:05:21

SueDonim your 'bra-cam' story reminded me of when our Parish Priest switched on his little voice mike, ready to begin Mass, then forgot it was on and went to the loo, mumbling to himself.
The resulting "water music" set the congregation tittering. A few moments later PP must have realised what he had done, as there was a muttered, "OMG!" before he made a rather flustered entrance.
I only talk to myself to tell myself off for doing something stupid, or to comment on the stupidity of quiz contestants.

Nana4 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:18:23

I am another one who talks to herself! Very satisfying conversations, without a doubt. Husband puzzled and thinks I am talking to him, no siree! I prefer someone who always agrees with me.

Summerfly Tue 12-Apr-22 14:26:25

Made me laugh and reminded me of a time back in the eighties. I was being really silly and talking in a loud American accent to the great amusement of my children. It was a lovely day so we had the door open. There was a tap on the door and my insurance man was stood there grinning away! I still blush when I think about it ?

PinkCosmos Tue 12-Apr-22 14:34:37

I have very often found my self talking out loud to myself in a shop when I actually thought my DH was standing beside me - actually listening!

I was talking to him but in turning around saw that he was at the other end of the shop out of earshot.

I have also asked complete strangers if they like this or that in a shop thinking it was my DH standing next to me

Audi10 Tue 12-Apr-22 14:41:33

I talk to myself all the time, I actually laugh at my own jokes too, as I’m telling them!

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-22 14:45:46

Trying to think of something to say so he would not think I was mad I turned around and began talking to an imaginary cat.

I'm not sure that would have helped. grin

Rosina Tue 12-Apr-22 15:01:48

jocork that would be my excuse - if caught talking to myself by a stranger I would press my ear and say how annoying my new mobile ear piece was - ' Now it's disconnected itself !' I talk to myself quite a lot - no arguments, complete accord, and the conversation ends when I've had enough - not always the case with other people.

Peaseblossom Tue 12-Apr-22 15:22:47

Glad it’s not just me!

Coco51 Tue 12-Apr-22 15:56:45

The important thing is that you always get the right answera!

Esmay Tue 12-Apr-22 16:24:01

Sorry :
Radiation is damaging to the phone, but not to you as previously thought .