Gransnet forums

AIBU

children left home alone

(79 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Thu 16-Jun-22 11:28:33

How old would you say a child needs to be before they can be left alone for a few days? I know someone who has gone away with work for 4 days and has left her son (only just 14). Grandparents are estranged, as is the father. No neighbours to help. The child is getting his own meals, seeing to his own laundry, getting himself off to school, etc.

DiamondLily Sun 28-Aug-22 15:31:20

There's no legal age, but if a child comes to harm, under 16, then parents can be prosecuted.

I wouldn't have left my 14 year olds alone. God knows what I'd have come back to..?

Joy241 Sun 28-Aug-22 16:11:03

I was 15 when, living in London, my father was taken critically ill in the Lake District (on exercises while serving in the army), My younger sister 8 1/2 years younger) was whipped away to stay with relatives, while my mother went to be with my father. I was left at home so I would not miss school. I don’t remember how long she was away, but it was at least two weeks. I was fine.

What I didn’t know, of course, was that friendly neighbours in the married quarters were secretly ‘looking out for me’.

paddyann54 Sun 28-Aug-22 16:34:13

You can get married here at 16 without parental consent but it would depend on the child if I'd leave them at 14 ,maybe one night as a trial .I have friends who left theirs at that age and they came home to a wrecked kitchen and loads of damaged carpet and furniture.Apparently a party got out of hand !