Gransnet forums

AIBU

Women athletes’ clothing

(118 Posts)
Nannymags27 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:00:43

AIBU in thinking that what the women wear in, for example, gymnastics and athletics is verging on the obscene? I understand the need for streamlined clothing but some of them might as well be wearing nothing ?‍♀️.

Summerlove Tue 02-Aug-22 18:17:36

halfpint1

Well when the female gymnastics do their stuff often their
all in one , which is skin tight to begin with, does go up their
bottom. Thats a bit too uncomfortable to look at.
Many moons ago one of my daughters was in a volleyball
team, shorts and a tea shirt, she was about 15 and it was a
biggish competition, she remarked to me afterwards how
she hated some of the male spectators who 'leered' at them.
So even the competitors are uncomfortable with their attire
at times.

Was she uncomfortable because of fit? Or because of men being gross? Its two different things to tackle.

Oldnproud Tue 02-Aug-22 18:30:05

I really don't see anything 'verging on the obscene' in what these athletes are wearing.
They are displaying no more than would be visible in beachwear, and I dont consider that obscene.

That said, I felt too exposed even in my school PE shorts in the 1970s, and would have hated to wear today's skimpy sports clothing, but that was down to my lack of confidence and poor body image.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:37:06

They are displaying no more than would be visible in beachwear, and I dont consider that obscene.
I was just going to st that.

Are there any complaints about the swimmers and divers?

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:37:30

Say not st
?

Fleur20 Tue 02-Aug-22 19:12:44

My comment was about the disparity between male and female gymnastic competitors outfit when they are essentially doing the same sport.

CanadianGran Tue 02-Aug-22 19:30:07

I agree there is disparity, and some of the women's uniforms look uncomfortably skimpy. Women in racing wear very brief bottoms, verging on bikini bottoms, but the men wear shorts.

Have you seen the diving suits? Very uncomfortable looking with very high leg openings. I think there should be a choice for athletes.

nadateturbe Tue 02-Aug-22 20:17:28

Nannymags I agree. If men can compete in shorts I don't see why females have to wear such revealing clothing.
I have just googled, and really some are ridiculous.
Females nowadays have a different attitude to clothing. Some of the leggings look like they have painted their skin.
It's just not attractive.

Iam64 Tue 02-Aug-22 20:26:26

Obscene ?! Really?

No.

Cold Tue 02-Aug-22 20:47:11

MissAdventure

Not knowing anything about athletics, are the women given a choice on what to wear?
If not, then of course they should be.

I've seen UK athletes wearing many different outfits today during the heats - vests and shorts, leotards and shorts, crop tops and shorts and also leggings and cycling-style shorts

Cold Tue 02-Aug-22 20:57:54

Fleur20

My comment was about the disparity between male and female gymnastic competitors outfit when they are essentially doing the same sport.

Well it's a choice for the women - the rules do allow for log legged leotards (the Germans famously competed in them at the European Championships in these a few years ago) however in women's gymnastics many competitors feel that it is easier to show the required hip/knee/ankle extension in the traditional leotards as the long legged ones emphasize small errors and result in deductions.

Ironically female gymnasts often train in a lot less than they compete in (most train in crop tops and tiny shorts)

Baggytrazzas Tue 02-Aug-22 21:15:08

nadateturbe

Nannymags I agree. If men can compete in shorts I don't see why females have to wear such revealing clothing.
I have just googled, and really some are ridiculous.
Females nowadays have a different attitude to clothing. Some of the leggings look like they have painted their skin.
It's just not attractive.

Hi, I don't know a lot about athletic bodywear but I don't think it should matter to spectators whether its attractive or not. its not a Miss World contest after all.

Jackiest Tue 02-Aug-22 21:38:54

Providing their clothing does not give them an advantage I think it should very much be left up to the athletes what they wear.

Elizabeth27 Tue 02-Aug-22 21:54:03

I have never really thought about their clothes, I suppose they are the best outfits for the sport being done, I am sure there are experts in what is beneficial for each activity.

I do not see anything wrong with people showing parts of their body we all have one.

LadyStardust Tue 02-Aug-22 22:16:39

Oh for goodness sake. Obscene? * searches for eye rolling emoji *

MawtheMerrier Tue 02-Aug-22 23:21:07

Of course.They should be attired like this

Summerlove Tue 02-Aug-22 23:27:30

Fleur20

I responded to that

imaround Wed 03-Aug-22 04:02:04

Not obscene. Not any different than swimwear.

I agree with those about the disparity between men's and women's. THAT is what is obscene. Women are forced to wear smaller and form fitting clothing.

My oldest child did volleyball in middle school. She was incredulous because the required uniform did not meet school dress code standards, which are very sexist in the US. Her required shorts for gym class also were not dress code compliant. But go back to class in a tank top and boy oh boy would that be bad. angry

Oldnproud Wed 03-Aug-22 07:07:37

imaroundWed 03-Aug-22 04:02:04
Not obscene. Not any different than swimwear.
I agree with those about the disparity between men's and women's. THAT is what is obscene. Women are forced to wear smaller and form fitting clothing.

I agree with what you have said - though some of the male runners wear such close-fitting shorts that nothing beneath them is left to the imagination, swaying from side to side as they run!

snowberryZ Wed 03-Aug-22 07:44:40

I agree with you.
I wouldn't say it's obscene.
But, I think its a bit disturbing the way women's gymnastic clothing is so skimpy compared to men's gymnastic clothing.
I feel sorry for the women doing the splits. How would men feel if they risked their meat and two veg falling out the sides because theyre forced to wear skimpy bits of narrow gussetted high cut frabric? All unde the excuse of wanting to see 'form'.hmm
No problem for them - they get to wear the leotards with lycra shorts style that covers everything with no risk of wardrobe malfunction.
I believe a lot of gymnast mums ate trying to change things, as there's a lot of bullying that takes place towards gymnasts such as their body weight and the clothes they're forced to wear.

Elegran Wed 03-Aug-22 07:57:25

The word gymnastics comes from the Greek words “gymnos” (γυμνός - naked, nude, bare, stripped) and “gymnazo” (γυμνάζω - meaning roughly to train or exercise naked.)^

Elegran Wed 03-Aug-22 08:00:40

In the original Games in Ancient Greece, EVERY competitor was naked.

Caleo Wed 03-Aug-22 08:04:09

It's a funny use of the word 'obscene'.

Maggiemaybe Wed 03-Aug-22 08:54:07

If it were the women’s choice to wear revealing outfits fair enough, but it often isn’t. Modern athletes should be able to choose clothing they want to perform in and not have to wear skimpy outfits imposed upon them by their governing bodies.

The Norwegian women’s beach handball team wore shorts instead of the required bikini bottoms in competition last year and were all fined. This led to protests and a long overdue change of rules by the International Federation so that women can now compete in shorts. I doubt their performance has deteriorated.

Chardy Wed 03-Aug-22 08:54:52

There was a movement a few years ago encouraging countries to have a selection of women athletes' attire as some of the runners didn't like the skimpier clothing.
Am I correct in thinking the female runners are clothed differently from the throwers? Long and high jumpers different again? I will keep an eye out in the next few days.
In answer to the question, no I don't find it obscene. But I do feel it might put some females off pursuing athletics.

Galaxy Wed 03-Aug-22 09:06:48

Thankyou Maggie, I couldn't quite remember which team it was but yes Norway. I remember the case and support their stance.