Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you have a ‘helpful’ husband?

(112 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 03-Aug-22 15:32:51

Oh how I wish my DH would not be so helpful! This morning he came outside to ‘help’ me hang out a large basket of washing. This means he keeps spinning the rotary line just as I am pegging something on and stretching items such as T-shirts when pegging them himself.
While I was out this afternoon he had brought in the washing and put it away - fantastic! Except for the fact that he has put away all the things that need ironing (he never helps with that) and has carefully folded all my pants (who folds knickers?)and put them away in my underwear drawer. Great except that they are not quite dry! I am sure that he really thinks he is helping but most of the time it just makes more work.

Fennel Sun 07-Aug-22 17:53:56

My husband is a very practical man and I don't know what I'd do without him.
He does all washing up, laundry and ironing.
On Friday my 'puter died and he somehow fixed up a replacement.
That used to be his job.

Kathmaggie Sun 07-Aug-22 20:22:40

Yeah it was my Mums logic but certainly does help to minimise creases . I pop dresses over the line and also peg under armpits - passed this on to the kids and if they’re in doubt how to hang something it helps to quote G’ma ?

Nightsky2 Sun 07-Aug-22 20:46:26

Grandma70s

What happens in these households with distinct roles for man and women if one of the partners is ill, or even dies? Surely both sexes need to be capable of looking after themselves, including cooking.

I’ve got one of those!. I always say that it’s very good (excuse) that the other person can take care of most things as one of us will go first and the other person has to be able to manage on their own?.

Cooking,
Laundry,
Shopping,
Pay the bills etc,. etc.,

Mistyfluff8 Mon 08-Aug-22 17:11:50

My husband is useless does not see what too clean.His mum was known for having 2spoilt boys and their dad couldn’t even heat a bowl of soup uo he refuses to learn .They never ever helped her so life is so tough as he was brought up lazy she left nothing to be pro off

Lovetopaint037 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:55:03

Until he retired my dh did very little in the house but once he was no longer at work he changed completely. For example dear Gransnetters could you believe I have been doing so many things wrong and I needed help. All those years I had been stacking the dishwasher incorrectly, so I never do that now ??.
I was better in bed in the morning rather than up and about quite early. (I was told this)so I lie in looking at my iPad until he brings my breakfast up plus a variety of drinks. Lovely. He cleans upstairs while I do downstairs, that is on a Saturday. When my shopping is delivered between 9 and 10 in the morning he doesn’t want any help as he has his way of doing it. Lovely as my old back isnt up to bending down to pick it all out of the tray they bring. He also does all the gardening (which he loves) while I like to draw or paint. In all he really looks after me and has made up for all those years of inactivity around the home. We have been married for 62 years so it is very nice.

Regina65 Wed 10-Aug-22 16:11:44

My hb does all the washing putting it away.cooking and gardening I don't really do much except the occasional meals when I'm not working .if I cook he will wash up bless him

alchemilla Sun 28-Aug-22 16:35:06

This is all a bit individualistic, this thread. Everyone is different. I do think parents need to bring up children to cope with domestic stuff and importantly bills and budgeting, whatever their sex. I would hate to land a DiL with someone incapable of looking after themselves, or a SiL with someone who couldn't cope either.

jeanie99 Wed 31-Aug-22 19:56:13

NO I don't have a helpful husband.

fiorentina51 Thu 01-Sep-22 08:58:45

Yes, I had a very helpful husband. He was raised well by his mum. He and his father were able to keep the house clean and tidy, wash and iron clothes and cook a basic meal.
This was because his mum often went to Belgium to visit her family, leaving the menfolk to care for themselves,
In later years, once they got a freezer, she left it well stocked when she went away.
During our long marriage of almost 49 years, we slid into a routine that suited us both.
To be honest, he spoilt me rotten at times, especially when I became the main wage earner and worked very long hours.
He became an excellent cook so he took, over that and the shopping. After some disasters dealing with the washing, I kept control of that and the ironing and cleaning, whilst he did most of the gardening.

Now, sadly, it's all up to me.

OxfordGran Wed 07-Sep-22 14:33:58

read elsewhere : Husbands are like puppies - you have to get them young and train them.

sodapop Wed 07-Sep-22 17:59:47

My husband does all the shopping, cooking and house maintenance. I do cleaning, admin, laundry etc. This suits us both.

I do find patronising comments about 'training' husbands to be annoying. No one ever says a wife needs this training.