Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog Poo - but if a rant - again.

(76 Posts)
Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 12:57:52

I know we all hate it, but can I run this past you? Recently, I have started to have DD2’s older dog a few days a week and take him (late at night) to a nearby area where DH and I used to walk our own dogs - long since gone. The area has now become swamped by professional dog walkers and their vehicles who come and go non-stop throughout the working day. When this first started, DH campaigned for a dog poo bin, but because of the location the council said they couldn’t site it where it was actually needed, but in a nearby pub car park instead. DH often spoke to the dog walkers who would bag the poo then leave it on the ground. He was told that they would collect it later, but of course that rarely happened. One walker would put the bags of poo on her back bumper, claiming she would stop at the poo bin, but in reality driving up the bumpy track meant the poo bags simply fell off and were left.

So my question is this – would you bag up other dogs’ poo and would you pick up other peoples’ poo bags and dispose of them? Would this then lead those who deliberately discard the poo to believe that there is actually a Dog Poo Fairy ?‍♀️ after all?

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Aug-22 20:11:34

Take some (non toxic) powder paint out and draw a circle round each dollop/bag. It worked some years ago when we got sick of it all. It also worked for a friend in a more built-up area.
Dog-walkers recognised their deposits and removed them/walked dogs elsewhere.
We used a different colour each day.

Razzamatazz Sat 13-Aug-22 20:47:36

I might do that NotSpagetti.

I live near a path alongside the fields, and some dirty sod leaves his dog poo in the middle of it, regularly. As my dog is in a stroller I have to be extra alert as I don't want to bring poo into the house, has already happened once and took forever to clean off.

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 21:19:17

I regularly have to pick up dog poo after dirty, disgusting owners let them crap all over the grass outside my flat. angry

It really does turn my stomach, but I don't want it outside my door.

gma Sat 13-Aug-22 21:56:11

Several years ago a geriatric dog owner on our street would walk as far as our house and then allow his large German shepherd dog to poo on our grass verge, large dog and equally large pile! I did ask politely that he pulled the animal into the gutter to perform this task so avoid my children stepping in when they go in/out of the car. This plea fell on deaf ears and it continued! Fed up with scrapping dog poo from my childrens shoes I gave her an ultimatum! Either you retrain your dog to poo in the gutter or I will post each deposit through your letter box! Funnily enough I only had to do it once!! Simple ?

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 21:58:15

I'm going to make up a mixture of hot pepper steeped water, and spray it outside.

I'm hoping that might deter the dogs.

Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 23:16:37

I like the paint idea. I might get my SinL to print and laminate cards that I can stick in the ground near the offensive stuff too.
In reply to other posters - it’s a strange area - used to belong to the NCB as did a lot of land around here and known as Colliery Woods. Think the council own it now as one of their country side wardens is supposed to oversee it, but various organizations have dug ponds, built a bird hide and planted a variety of hardwood saplings. When DH was alive he got to know the original warden very well and they bounced ideas off each other which were often adopted. Since he retired the current warden has allowed horses to use the area - strictly against the rules - but he seems to know the riders and despite objections says his word goes! As a result horses are trotting a couple of miles on the footpath along a busy dual carriage way from their stables to this area on a daily basis. DH did take our local councilor and (luckily) witnessed a dangerous incident but turns out his boss wasn’t bothered. Greased palms methinks.
Now DH is gone and I only use the area infrequently, I’m only bothered by the piles of poo.

Luckygirl3 Sat 13-Aug-22 23:16:48

It is all so gross.

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 23:20:06

It absolutely enrages me!
We had a funeral last week which left from this block, so, the night before, I had to go out and clear up the grass where the mourners would be.
So disrespectful!

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 23:24:21

I'm being very careful here because because dog owners have been unhappy with my comments on here before. When I said I couldn't have any creature where I had to pick up it's poo in the street, one poster said 'but you were happy to change your baby's nappies.' Sigh

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 23:28:51

I entirely blame the owners.
If they loved their dogs, why would they be happy to know everyone dreaded the sight of them?

I (bravely, I feel!) stand at my back door and watch people fetch their dogs around here.

You can see the dogs trying to squat, as they have been used to, and their owners trying to drag them on a bit further, because I'm there.

Baggytrazzas Sat 13-Aug-22 23:29:51

I know that you couldn't have dumped the dirty nappies in the street for others to pick up and dispose of for you, so can't understand why others would see this as comparable to picking up dog poo?

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 23:33:02

I wouldn't have wanted the contents of my babies nappy stuck all over the soles of my shoes, or in steaming piles all over any grass in the area.

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 23:35:18

Dogs are not babies. No matter how much some people think they are their babies. Yes I understand that they love them but they are not their children.

Baggytrazzas Sat 13-Aug-22 23:35:48

i have very occasionally come across a dirty nappy dumped in a carpark, where the occupant has clearly changed it and chucked it out rather than find a bin. i def would not pick that up.

Kate1949 Sat 13-Aug-22 23:37:07

Yes I've seen nappies too. Disgusting.

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 23:46:48

We have nappies here too, which spill out of the bins (which are right outside my kitchen window)

There is only one flat with an occupant who has a toddler, but they never pick up any nappies that escape.

MissAdventure Sat 13-Aug-22 23:53:20

I don't mind at all if people want to baby their dogs.
It makes no difference to me, and I appreciate the love a dog gives it's owner is unconditional and wonderful.

I just don't want to tread in poop!

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 12:05:48

Razzamatazz and others. Hope paint works for you. ?
My daughter says a friend of hers used a chalk spray-paint which made a big fat powdery circle.

Would be wary of notices because technically I expect they are littering and also might make people feel cross/vengeful.
I think the paint thing worked by embarrassment.
...Of course, some people probably don't get embarrassed!

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 12:06:29

Just googled chalk-based spray paint!
Guess what:

www.mumsnet.com/talk/the_doghouse/2994702-What-on-earth-is-this-spray-painted-dog-poo-about

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 12:09:23

Oh. And an official campaign in Cheshire/Chester...
www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/streets-and-open-spaces/pink-poo-tool-kit

SueDonim Sun 14-Aug-22 12:13:54

Where I’m currently living in temporary accommodation, there’s a dog mess problem. I think it’s mainly just one dog, because, to put not too fine a point on it, the piles of mess are massive. It must be a huge dog because there was even a pile partly on the ground and partly on someone’s street-facing low windowsill. Can you imagine? ?

I wanted to use some non-toxic spray paint to highlight it but couldn’t find any. The council has been informed but there’s been no action from them yet in clearing it up.

Caro6699 Sun 14-Aug-22 12:18:53

My husband and I often pick up other dogs poo. It’s not the nicest thing to do but at least it gets cleared away.
We also pick up rubbish that others have carelessly discarded.
The alternative is that our local sports/play field becomes a disgusting mess.

Dottynan Sun 14-Aug-22 12:58:43

Maybe print this of and leave in strategic place

There are no Dog Poo Fairies
There are no Dog Poo Elves
So if you dog poos please
pick it up yourselves

We do not want to wipe it of our shoes or
of our children's hands
Dog poo is harmful to children
We hope you understand

Please keep this area clear

Thank you

kircubbin2000 Sun 14-Aug-22 13:45:11

There is a nasty big dog poo on my back lawn. No one in this street has a dog and my back gates are shut so how did it get in?
There are also several small black poos which could be fox but I know they are agile and can get in.

Chestnut Sun 14-Aug-22 13:59:01

SueDonim

Where I’m currently living in temporary accommodation, there’s a dog mess problem. I think it’s mainly just one dog, because, to put not too fine a point on it, the piles of mess are massive. It must be a huge dog because there was even a pile partly on the ground and partly on someone’s street-facing low windowsill. Can you imagine? ?

I wanted to use some non-toxic spray paint to highlight it but couldn’t find any. The council has been informed but there’s been no action from them yet in clearing it up.

Check out the link to the campaign in Cheshire just posted. It sounds excellent, and the paint is a great way to sort the problem in your area. The article says to Google 'chalk spray non-marking paint eco-friendly' to find the right paint.
Go for it! Sounds great fun spraying round the offending piles, almost like a treasure hunt!