Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog Poo - but if a rant - again.

(76 Posts)
Georgesgran Sat 13-Aug-22 12:57:52

I know we all hate it, but can I run this past you? Recently, I have started to have DD2’s older dog a few days a week and take him (late at night) to a nearby area where DH and I used to walk our own dogs - long since gone. The area has now become swamped by professional dog walkers and their vehicles who come and go non-stop throughout the working day. When this first started, DH campaigned for a dog poo bin, but because of the location the council said they couldn’t site it where it was actually needed, but in a nearby pub car park instead. DH often spoke to the dog walkers who would bag the poo then leave it on the ground. He was told that they would collect it later, but of course that rarely happened. One walker would put the bags of poo on her back bumper, claiming she would stop at the poo bin, but in reality driving up the bumpy track meant the poo bags simply fell off and were left.

So my question is this – would you bag up other dogs’ poo and would you pick up other peoples’ poo bags and dispose of them? Would this then lead those who deliberately discard the poo to believe that there is actually a Dog Poo Fairy ?‍♀️ after all?

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 14:14:00

Frankly, if they are stupid, selfish and ignorant enough not to pick up after their dogs, I don't think any amount of spray paint or notices will make much difference. they don't think about anyone but themselves. I don't know if they just don't care or if they think picking up poo is beneath them. but irresponsible owners like that give the responsible ones a bad name.

Chestnut Sun 14-Aug-22 14:28:47

But if you read the article the spray paint does work. I have heard of this before so it's an established practice. Apart from highlighting the problem (literally) it does stop people treading in it which is a bonus.
if I were a dog walker and kept noticing piles of poop on my walks I would definitely go round spraying them.

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 14:42:30

It may have worked in some areas, Chestnut - it didn't here where I live. As soon as the local environmental group which started the spray paint project stopped doing it, the poo went back to being as bad as ever, if not worse.

RichmondPark1 Sun 14-Aug-22 15:29:55

Dogs are banned from our local beach in summer. This morning there is a human poo where someone obviously sat on the sea wall and pooed all down the wall and then left dirty loo paper. Probably done by one of the many visitors who park their camper vans up around our seaside town as they are too mean to pay to stay in the local campsites.

Isn't that grim.

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 15:31:14

My husband first started it in the early 1980s - 1981 or 1982 I think.
There was a log of dog mess in our local park and we had a toddler. It started out as just making her aware of it. There was even a "dog toilet" in that park.
It worked in less than a fortnight and there was no fall-back that summer.

He has since done this where we are living now, and a friend was successful near Leicester.

Maybe your area needs a "reminder" Blondie?
How annoying.

Fleurpepper Sun 14-Aug-22 15:34:09

Bad enough when it is individual dog owners- but if I witnessed this from an official dog walker/business, I'd take photos and send to council, and name and shame.

SueDonim Sun 14-Aug-22 18:38:37

I must have been Googling the wrong thing, as I couldn’t find an eco-friendly spray paint. However, I’m moving on Friday so it’s a bit too late now. sad

Jackiest Sun 14-Aug-22 19:41:17

I am looking forward to a time when they not only microchip all dogs but also take a DNA sample. Then any dog poo not picked up can be matched to the dog and the owner sent a large fine in the post.

Tizliz Sun 14-Aug-22 19:43:23

I complained to the council that a large lay-by was full of rubbish and asked why there was no bin. The reply was that if they put a bin there it would be full straight away and as he only had the budget to empty bins once a week by then it would be overflowing. But trying to get people to take their rubbish home was a lost cause.

There are people out there who think it is the council’s job to pick up after them

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 20:07:56

Jackiest

I am looking forward to a time when they not only microchip all dogs but also take a DNA sample. Then any dog poo not picked up can be matched to the dog and the owner sent a large fine in the post.

And who's going to foot the bill for that? The police are already struggling with massive cutbacks and huge backlogs of work at forensic services, and that's for fairly serious crimes, so there's no way I can see that happening in the foreseeable future.

RichmondPark1 Sun 14-Aug-22 21:50:38

This thread has reminded me of an idea my friend's son came up with when he was a little lad. He thought they should put something in dog food which would make their poo a bright, florescent colour. That way it would be easy to find and pick up in the dark and, if you didn't pick it up, other people would notice immediately and could tell you off. I think he was on to something. grin

MayBee70 Sun 14-Aug-22 21:57:31

Tizliz

I complained to the council that a large lay-by was full of rubbish and asked why there was no bin. The reply was that if they put a bin there it would be full straight away and as he only had the budget to empty bins once a week by then it would be overflowing. But trying to get people to take their rubbish home was a lost cause.

There are people out there who think it is the council’s job to pick up after them

That’s what a local councillor told me when they removed a bin from the car park. He said bins create rubbish. I said I thought people should be given the chance to put their rubbish in a bin.

Jackiest Mon 15-Aug-22 04:42:12

Blondiescot

Jackiest

And who's going to foot the bill for that? The police are already struggling with massive cutbacks and huge backlogs of work at forensic services, and that's for fairly serious crimes, so there's no way I can see that happening in the foreseeable future.

At £500 a time for every dog poo found I think it would be very easy to fund. Infact I think it would be a lucrative money earner.

Blondiescot Mon 15-Aug-22 08:00:54

Sorry, but not going to happen...

nanna8 Mon 15-Aug-22 08:58:49

My mum used to rush out of her house, up the garden path and spray water hard on dogs who lifted their legs or pooed outside her house. Filthy owners.

Maya1 Mon 15-Aug-22 09:48:44

We are quite lucky here in Cambridgeshire. We have plenty of bins and dog wardens that will enforce if they can catch people.
However my friend and l do see plenty of people, young and old who will not pick up after their dogs, when out walking our dogs.
What annoys me more though are these thoughtless mums and grans that take the dogs into the play parks. I do confront them and tel, them that they are not allowed in there.
Do they not realise that the children are in danger of catching diseases from the dog poo if they fall whilst playing.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 15-Aug-22 15:16:45

I've used fluorescent orange hair dye spray on piles of poo. It washes off in the rain after a while (as it does off hair), but does highlight the piles to stop people walking on them and to shame the dog owners.

Chardy Mon 15-Aug-22 18:33:28

I walk the beach or the prom every day, and rarely see dog poo or poo bags. What I see maybe a couple of times a week is broken glass.

Crazymum Tue 16-Aug-22 13:05:43

I witnessed a couple walk their dogs across my elderly parents front garden and let them poo and walked off. Next day it was the same ( so not an accident) . Third day I waited and as usual they stood while their dogs did their business. As they walked off I opened the door , said " excuse me ! Can you show the sign that says this is a dog toilet ? Just so I know to arrange a poop scoop for dog owners . " lady said oh it was just this once but I hadn't noticed , I'll do it now . When I said I'd filmed them every day ,they hurried off and never came back .

nanna8 Tue 16-Aug-22 13:10:29

Not many do it here, can’t remember the last time I saw any bags or poos ? But this is The Land of Civic Obedience. Quite good for once.

ExDancer Wed 17-Aug-22 11:53:13

Hedgehog poo is black and about 3-4 ins long. I see it on my lawn although don't see any hedgehogs, sadly.

Hellogirl1 Wed 17-Aug-22 16:47:27

I have 2 gates to my backyard, a normal side gate, and a wider one at the far end, that leads out onto an alleyway with houses down the side opposite to us. I only rarely use that gate, only when I put the wheelie bins out, but yesterday I went to bring the bin back in, and there was dog poo from one side of the gate to the other, not in the road, just next to our gate, and looked to be all from the same dog. It`s going to have to stay there, because I can`t get down to clean it up.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 16:50:24

I used to walk past a property on my way to work, where they had very obviously had enough.

On their gate were diagrams, photos, the addresses of who had left what pile of poo where (with photographic evidence of the poo, with flags stuck in each pile)

Baggytrazzas Sat 20-Aug-22 08:55:02

MissAdventure

I used to walk past a property on my way to work, where they had very obviously had enough.

On their gate were diagrams, photos, the addresses of who had left what pile of poo where (with photographic evidence of the poo, with flags stuck in each pile)

Sounds like a buffet........

StoneofDestiny Wed 28-Sep-22 00:05:31

I've seen the spray painted piles of dog poo in a number of different towns and cities. Only goes to emphasise that it is a hell of a big 'minority' of dog owners who do not pick up after their dogs. Utterly gross behaviour. It's about time seriously hefty fines were issued with dog wardens hired to catch the perpetrators - paid for out of compulsory dog licenses and registration.