Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sweet Charity

(38 Posts)
silverspoon125 Thu 13-Oct-22 16:07:04

AIBU when I go shopping at the petrol till and wilko being asked by the till whether I wish to donate to xyz charity. 25p at the petrol till not sure how much wilko wanted me to donate.

I get frustrated enough at the tills especially Wilko where a man/woman stands behind a till advising you how to serve yourself why can't he/she serve me. Anyway, I digress.

Charities

I object to this.

AIBU - I don't think I am

M0nica Thu 13-Oct-22 20:35:15

Sago It is only like 'public shaming' if you decide it is. If you refuse to feel shamed, there is no public shaming.

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Oct-22 22:43:24

Oh yes the dreaded raffle tickets sent in the post !
I’m sure I speak for a lot of people when I say there is no way I’m going round knocking on my neighbours doors, pestering them to buy some.

What a waste of money they must be as the majority will surely end up in the bin.

We all have charities we support which mean something to us personally without having others foisted on us.

biglouis Fri 14-Oct-22 00:55:06

It used to be the same before self service tills and the internet. You would would choose a charity to donate to and they became ever more greedy and demanding, sending begging letters every few months. In the end I just binned them. I dont shop in person now so I miss out on all that. One of the joys of shopping online.

harrigran Fri 14-Oct-22 09:11:42

Getting us to donate at the tills means they can collect without having to do any legwork.
I refuse to be guilt tripped into giving, I donate on my terms.
A charity that pays their CEO £200,000 a year does not need pennies from my supermarket shop.

volver Fri 14-Oct-22 09:24:29

It's a funny old world.

People getting indignant at being asked to donate to charity. Say no, pass on by, or don't open the envelopes they send you. You won't go to hell for it and neither will they.

You don't have to justify your refusal. That's just a guilty conscience, or lack of self-confidence, or something.

nadateturbe Fri 14-Oct-22 09:54:06

I get indignant too. When stores declare what they have donated to certain charities, our donations at the till will be included. I do not like others taking credit for public donations.
I say no. I don't feel guilty. I choose to whom I will donate.
Sometimes I pay for raffle tickets myself as a donation. Otherwise I bin with other mail asking for donations.

volver Fri 14-Oct-22 10:00:02

pandapatch

What I really object to is being ambushed by charities at the door of shops. Great Ormond Street had a stand inside the foyer at M&S yesterday and I feel so mean declining (we do give regularly to charities of our choice)

My DF and his friends regularly had a stall for an ex-servicemen's charity at the door of a local supermarket. Luckily many shoppers don't let their personal and self inflicted feelings of shame get in the way of actually donating to something worthwhile. Here's an inside tip - they generally don't care if you don't donate, they are more interested in those who do.

nadateturbe Fri 14-Oct-22 12:42:51

I don't feel ambushed by charity stalls. There's no pressure to give.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 12:51:56

volver

pandapatch

What I really object to is being ambushed by charities at the door of shops. Great Ormond Street had a stand inside the foyer at M&S yesterday and I feel so mean declining (we do give regularly to charities of our choice)

My DF and his friends regularly had a stall for an ex-servicemen's charity at the door of a local supermarket. Luckily many shoppers don't let their personal and self inflicted feelings of shame get in the way of actually donating to something worthwhile. Here's an inside tip - they generally don't care if you don't donate, they are more interested in those who do.

Here's an inside tip - they generally don't care if you don't donate, they are more interested in those who do.

Your DF and his friends are not chuggers.
They're volunteers like DH and his friends.

They don't accost people in the street, prevent them walking past, walk alongside them, quiz them and tell them the charity they donate to is not worthwhile, best sign up to theirs. They're young chuggers, paid on per signature basis.

I think we know the different, don't need inside tips.

volver Fri 14-Oct-22 12:56:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Oct-22 12:58:04

Silly post ?

volver Fri 14-Oct-22 13:00:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.