Gransnet forums

AIBU

Perhaps I expect too much?

(65 Posts)
mrsmeldrew Wed 12-Apr-23 17:30:30

Just wanted to gauge opinion. Had a recent visit from husband's family over Easter - two nights/3 days. Son from husband's first marriage of two years, short-lived in late 1970's DIL and 2 teenage GC. We don't see them very often due to distance and lack of enthusiasm on our part, although we did have visits before the pandemic but after that rather let visits lapse. I've always felt guilty about this and its because I don't really feel anything, and don't feel any closeness with DIL who is quite cold. SIL is a bit more forthcoming. My husband feels the same as me. It's difficult because my husband didn't have a lot of contact with son since the divorce 45 years ago now, and his son made contact when he got married. Since then we have always sent gifts of cash, not huge amounts at Christmas and birthdays, but what we could afford, and contributed to savings accounts but never once have we received a thank you note, phone call, or even a text or email from parents or GC. They send us a joint gift at Christmas and cards on birthdays. We travelled down once to do a week's childcare (caravan) when GC were smaller, when we were both working full time, and we weren't once invited to their home, have never even been there. Anyway... I did a lot of cooking and hospitality for this visit, bought wine and other things. I thought they might have bought some flowers, wine or chocolates but they arrived with nothing. We were also expected to have arranged outings etc. We are retired and live on our pensions, a lot less income and this time I held my tongue as they like to go out and have drinks, cakes, chocolate snacks morning and afternoon, and previously I used to say "We'll get these" each time, but now it adds up to £30+ each time and then the GC won't eat lunch or dinner. I also had to do separate meals as one GC is very picky, well TBH both of them are! Oddly, they don't like vegetables and salad etc but do like sweets, chocolate, puddings and cake! I bought Easter eggs but no thanks for those either. Also, one has to sleep in the living room as they refuse to share a room which is quite inconvenient. I suppose the final straw was when the parents went to our local shop and purchased some alcoholic drinks which were drunk and rest put in the fridge. After they had left I saw that they had taken them with them! I feel guilty because the GC have some MH issues, but I really don't feel like doing this again and next time they suggest a visit want to say yes, but we can't put you up but welcome to come for meals. I would have to come up with a reason. When they visit the other side of the family, husband's ex, they rent somewhere, but because we have a 3 bedroom house I guess they expect us to offer full hospitality. A bit of a long post, it's my first one on this forum! So, in conclusion AIBU??

Hetty58 Fri 14-Apr-23 20:47:50

As you so obviously didn't like hosting them - perhaps don't do it again or keep it to one night only.

You do seem a little selfish and inflexible to me, though. OK, they might seem rude and thoughtless - but please don't reject your husband's son. It's as if you've calculated (and resented) everything you've done for them. You don't know their financial situation and maybe they're struggling.

Still, manners cost nothing and they do seem lacking from them. All families are different, though, some very relaxed - so cut them some slack.

OmaforMaya Sat 15-Apr-23 00:42:48

paddyann54

I'm going against the grain here ,your husband didn't have much contact with his son for decadesmthe son reconnected probably in the hope of having some kind of meaningfull relationship with his dad and a grandfather for his kids .
Seems to me he's being rejected again!
What a shame you cant find it n you...either of you...to make an effort and make them feel welcome and part of the family .
He's probably better off without you but I'd bet he still tries to make some kind of relationship with the dad he doesn't know .Sadly I think your more bothered about your own feelings !

Have you posted the above purely to be abnoxious because that is exactly how you seem to be. Maybe you should reread the original post.

mrsmeldrew Sat 15-Apr-23 09:51:37

I love the way (some) posters on here make sweeping and judgemental assumptions!

Thanks for the responses but perhaps this thread could now be closed?

Yammy Sat 15-Apr-23 10:07:04

Two grown-ups should have more sense than to land for a holiday with what are two elderly people they barely know.
Next time I would change the dates to suit you and keep away from holiday weekends.
I would also tell them that neither of you is up to hosting for this length of time and all costs and outings including alcohol have to be shared as you are pensioners.
One thing did occur to me do you have children with your husband? How do you and they act when they visit if you do?
Both families should be treat the same.

icanhandthemback Sat 15-Apr-23 10:08:10

OmaforMaya

paddyann54

I'm going against the grain here ,your husband didn't have much contact with his son for decadesmthe son reconnected probably in the hope of having some kind of meaningfull relationship with his dad and a grandfather for his kids .
Seems to me he's being rejected again!
What a shame you cant find it n you...either of you...to make an effort and make them feel welcome and part of the family .
He's probably better off without you but I'd bet he still tries to make some kind of relationship with the dad he doesn't know .Sadly I think your more bothered about your own feelings !

Have you posted the above purely to be abnoxious because that is exactly how you seem to be. Maybe you should reread the original post.

And yet, paddyann54 doesn't seem to be alone in her views but may post a bit more bluntly than others. Had her post not arrived just as I was thinking what to write, I would have been going against the grain too.
Blended families are never easy and it takes the adults from a broken relationship to ensure continuity in the relationships with the child. When this doesn't happen, it is far more difficult for the parent and child to reconnect so it is incumbent on the parent to make more of an effort to make up for their failing (imo). I say failing because the child would not have had a choice in the matter. Any understanding wife would accept that, (once again imo).
At the very least, from what she has said, mrsmeldrew is being unreasonable which is the question she asked.

JaneJudge Sat 15-Apr-23 14:37:59

I was wondering if those of us who are in blended families don't see it as such a black and white issue and can understand the unspoken difficulties.

mabon1 Sun 16-Apr-23 14:35:31

My son and his partner, grandson,n wife with baby came for roast lunch. I always go a lot of trouble. They never ever bring flowers, wie or chocs. At 82 it's hard work.

pascal30 Sun 16-Apr-23 14:44:11

mabon1

My son and his partner, grandson,n wife with baby came for roast lunch. I always go a lot of trouble. They never ever bring flowers, wie or chocs. At 82 it's hard work.

unbelievably poor behaviour..

Hithere Sun 16-Apr-23 14:44:28

Mabon1

You have a common denominator in your posts - you choose to continue to do things that are not appreciated properly

Do they seem to be rude? Yes
If you know they won't thank you, why keep hoping they will?

Franbern Mon 17-Apr-23 11:57:31

Can I just say that I really do not like the accepted idea of whenever being invited to someone else's home (be it for lunch, dinner or overnight), there is an expectation of taking something with - flowers, chocs, etc. I do not want my guests to arrive with anything - never know what to do with these things anyway.
Okay, if someone's whole family is coming to stay for two or three days, the most useful thing would be to offer some money towards costs - usually the host has already done the shopping and planned the meals. or, in advance say they will treat the hosts to a lovely meal out one evening - asking them to book somewhere suitable.

Children are not taught to make gratitude noises for any pressies these days. So, in the past we were made to send handwritten notes saying Thank You - did we mean them? In most cases NO!!

And many children are called 'picky' with regards to food, but they are permitted to say what they like and do not like, NOT just clear their plates regardless as many of us were forced to do back the past. Treated like human beings not some second class animal.

It is always difficult to have your home crowded out with a family who do not usually live there. Extremely exhausting for the hosts and not usually the most comfortable for the guests.

So, why not send a nice note saying how lovely it was to see them all, but at your ages you found it rather too much for them to stay. Do hope they will continue these visits, and would they like you to sort out some cheap B&B's or Airb&B's locally.

Wyllow3 Mon 17-Apr-23 12:09:01

I recently stayed with loved and loving DS and DiL for 4 days.

Crowded, lots of small children, not a lot of space, when we had an honest discussion afterwards it was agreed too much all round. And this is a situation without the issues in the O/P.

and the truth is that it would have been easier 5 years ago when I was active and could sleep on uncomfy beds et al.

its simply too much even in my favourable circumstances for all.

As others have said, say - its all getting a bit much now you are both getting on, and you'd be delighted to see them when they stay in a hotel or are bnb. And will enjoy cooking one meal a day early evening. Be loving, but absolutely clear. If you can help out with hotel costs so much the better that'd depends on circumstances but - be clear and stick to it.

You might be surprised - many people respond well to loving but clear boundaries.

Cabbie21 Mon 17-Apr-23 12:13:50

This.

2020convert Mon 17-Apr-23 12:24:13

mrsmeldrew

I love the way (some) posters on here make sweeping and judgemental assumptions!

Thanks for the responses but perhaps this thread could now be closed?

I think we should respect the OP’s wishes

Ali08 Mon 17-Apr-23 21:17:07

I wonder if the children know about the savings funds, or are the parents dipping into them to splash the cash on them?
How old are the children now?
If you're in touch in the interim, you could start hinting at B&Bs, hotels, AirBNBs which are near you. "Oh we saw there is a lovely little B&B opened in town. People staying there can't gush enough about it..."
Tell them someone gave you a small gift to say thank you for your help (may be a little white lie) and how much you appreciated their lovely thoughts & appreciation!
Not everyone brings flowers or gifts, but I'd not stay with someone and not at least leave a thank you gift or give them a little treat whilst there!