Gransnet forums

AIBU

Further to wearing shoes indoors...

(90 Posts)
CanadianGran Fri 14-Apr-23 21:04:44

If you wear shoes indoors, when do you put them on, and then take them off? Where do you keep them?

We don't wear indoor shoes, so all shoes are kept in the closet by the front door, other than dressy shoes which are in our bedroom closet.

I do wear slippers, stored either in the bedroom or front closet.

If you do wear shoes all day inside, what about when you put your feet up in the evening... shoes on the couch or ottoman?

Franbern Sat 15-Apr-23 09:20:45

I wear good quality slippers with orthotic insoles in them in my flat. When I go out, I collec tmy handbag, put on my coat AND shoes When I come back indoors I take off shoes, and jacket and put away my handbag ensuring keys and walking stick are hung up. Not difficult. SHoes all kept in my bedroom in wardrobe.

Although I have Karndean hard flooring, throughout the flat, I expect people to remove their shoes when visiting, Do not want dirt from outside spread inside. When I visit anyone I always have a pair of slippers with me.

No problems with people putting their slippered feet on my sofas.

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:23:28

Redhead56

No shoes are worn indoors here they are kept in the hallway we take shoes off when we come in and put our slippers on. If we go in the garden shoes go back on I don’t think that’s too complicated or is it?

As I pointed out above putting shoes on and off is hard for people with back or hip problems, so it can in fact be complicated for some.

LRavenscroft Sat 15-Apr-23 09:38:04

No offence to anyone but we started to wear good solid slip ons after some friends walked dog's muck all over our carpets, up our stairs into our bathroom and into our kitchen. All shoes stop at the front door in racks now.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:47:43

No offence at all, I don't wear the same shoes indoors as I wear outside the house.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:48:50

Redhead56

No shoes are worn indoors here they are kept in the hallway we take shoes off when we come in and put our slippers on. If we go in the garden shoes go back on I don’t think that’s too complicated or is it?

Well, it is if you can't wear slippers.

Redhead56 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:49:53

I was talking about the practicality of where shoes go. I agree it can be awkward I sit on the stairs to put mine on. I have started looking at easy on slip on shoes.

Aveline Sat 15-Apr-23 09:59:57

I wouldn't dream of asking visitors to remove their shoes. I wear slippers at home for comfort.
We have carpets throughout and many Persian rugs. I also have a good hoover and use it. Amazingly, we seem to have survived.

harrigran Sat 15-Apr-23 10:02:41

I have a shoe rack in my hall cupboard where the coats are hung. When family visit they leave their shoes in the porch, they always carry slippers with them.

Fleurpepper Sat 15-Apr-23 10:07:14

Exactly the same Aveline.

Granmarderby10 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:46:31

Good hoover. Good doormat outside and inside front door. In wet dirty conditions a couple of clean “dog towels” of which I have many to wipe down and soak up umbrella drips etc

Us what lives here put muddy/wet/smelly? Wellies/boots into a sturdy carrier bag before going upstairs. (Quality air fresheners and disinfectant spray in one and wet wipes make the job much easier)
We have no space inside the front door as it’s straight upstairs to the flat, so a “nice” extra mat at the top to catch anything else

Croc type mules are brilliant for this as can be easily washed under the shower with some shower gel and hung up to dry in no time.

I cart far to much stuff in my bag around already because I don’t drive so slip on house shoes on a “just in case” basis is out of the question.
I think generally people are way too fussy about floors.
I don’t think I’ve ever caught anything because of a none sterile floor but the vacuum cleaner and Flash spray and a Vileda mop are 2 of my best friends.
Sadly 😢…… not really.

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:55:08

I think generally people are way too fussy about floors.

Definitely this - life is just too short to be fussing about a bit of dirt.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:57:29

I wear slippers in doors,shoes go on when going out,then off when back.
Never put feet on furniture it`s a house rule.

Granmarderby10 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:59:27

Just out of interest time to go ….Who made that rule ?

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 11:04:12

Luckygirl3

*I think generally people are way too fussy about floors.*

Definitely this - life is just too short to be fussing about a bit of dirt.

I agree - but there's a big difference between 'a bit of dirt' and someone trailing dog muck into your house, for instance. And you don't have to change into slippers if you don't like them (although you get all kinds of slippers these days - even ones which are pretty much indoor shoes), just take off your outdoor shoes at the door.

grannysyb Sat 15-Apr-23 11:14:11

Tend to change into slippers when I've been out, but don't mind if others keep their shoes on when visiting. We used to have dogs, they didn't put slippers on when indoors!

crazyH Sat 15-Apr-23 11:17:44

Slippers worn indoors - shoes worn outdoors - simples 😂

Grandma70s Sat 15-Apr-23 11:18:58

Floors are intended to be walked on. I wouldn’t dream of removing my shoes, or expecting others to, unless they are muddy. Seems over-fussy and prissy to me.

I’ve only once had a visitor who routinely removed his shoes. He was a great deal younger than me. Is it a generational thing?

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 11:32:20

I don't think it's a generational thing at all. I was taught to remove my shoes as soon as I came home, as were my children and now my GS too. I'm far from fussy or prissy, believe me - I was brought up around horses and dogs, but who wants someone trailing god knows what all over their carpets?

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Apr-23 11:54:04

just take off your outdoor shoes at the door.

OK - walk in door; find something to sit on; find a grabber and a long-handled shoehorn; struggle in pain to get shoes off; ditto to get indoor shoes on; take some more painkillers.

Need to pop out again? - do it all again in reverse.

Come back home? - do it all; again.

No thanks.

I would clearly not drag dog shit through the house, but neither do I want to go through that palaver every time I come into my house.

MrsKen33 Sat 15-Apr-23 12:02:16

Slippers indoors and we have two wicker baskets under the hall table for the outdoor shoes.

Norah Sat 15-Apr-23 12:04:16

Blondiescot

I don't think it's a generational thing at all. I was taught to remove my shoes as soon as I came home, as were my children and now my GS too. I'm far from fussy or prissy, believe me - I was brought up around horses and dogs, but who wants someone trailing god knows what all over their carpets?

Indeed. We all just take off shoes when coming in from outside. We also dip small feet in a little basin and dab off with flannels.

Mollygo Sat 15-Apr-23 12:05:59

I change shoes for slippers unless I’m taking our dog out in a short while after I get in from work or shopping.
Shoes are in a cabinet by the front door. Hiking boots are on a rack and never come indoors.
I don’t ask my guests to remove their shoes.

Aveline Sat 15-Apr-23 12:15:58

We used to live above my Dads surgery. Literally hundreds of patients over the years traipsed in and sat in our dining room as it was also the waiting room. No question of removing shoes. No problem.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Apr-23 12:57:31

Luckygirl3
Perhaps it isn't a palaver for some people who find it's easy to slip out of shoes, slip into slippers every time.

It's not so easy for some of us, though, is it.

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 12:57:52

Luckygirl3, I understand that it can be more difficult for some people than others, and I'm not having a go here, just genuinely curious - what would you do if you went to someone else's house and they had a 'no shoes indoors' rule?