Gransnet forums

AIBU

Separate bedrooms

(107 Posts)
lippyqueen Sun 14-May-23 08:45:40

Good morning everyone, I was wondering what you all thought about separate bedrooms. I am a very light sleeper and constantly disturbed during the night by noise and movement from my husband. Recently I have disappeared into the spare room and have had an amazing deep sleep! Have anyone else made the break to a different room for sleeping, and if so, what happens when you go on holiday or away to stay.

Saetana Tue 16-May-23 19:15:20

My parents sleep in the same room but in separate beds due to my mother's disabilities - a possible solution for those who are being disturbed at night by a fidgety partner. Admittedly that would not help for snorers but there is plenty of help available to deal with snoring and of course earplugs are always an option. Maybe if you are in your 70s and 80s the idea of separate rooms might seem more appealing, but I am in my 50s, so a fairly young widow, and would have hated to sleep in a different room than my husband.

seadragon Tue 16-May-23 19:59:45

We had the constantly coughing, totally exhausting virus from 2nd January to the end of March just as DH was recovering from 8 months of Covid and very very slow recovery. I moved out to sleep on the sofa in the living room for 2 months as we were keeping each other awake but was very relieved to be able to rejoin him. Convinced his days were numbered, he booked a 10 strong family gathering from all parts of UK , having not seen DD, DGS and DGS for 3 years.... Mercifully it perked him up no end though 10 folk and a dog under one roof was pretty exhausting. He has a long way to go to achieve full fitness (if he ever does) but he is noticeably better now we're home again and DD has organised another gathering for us all in August. Each to his and her own but for me, snuggling into his back is necessary prerequisite for a contented sleep even though he has to get up, often snores and frequently pinches all the bedclothes!

Kandinsky Tue 16-May-23 20:01:17

We have separate bedrooms. Reason being I can’t stand him.

kittylester Tue 16-May-23 20:13:07

That's a good enough reason Kandinsky

Saetana Wed 17-May-23 01:50:10

Yeah Kadinsky that is is totally a good reason for separate rooms xx

Saetana Wed 17-May-23 01:51:15

Same seadragon despite some issues with sleeping with my husband I would not have swapped those days for anything, especially now he is gone xx