Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gluten Free

(110 Posts)
1summer Mon 12-Feb-24 10:19:02

I am organising a brunch at home for my daughters baby shower - I don’t particularly like them but don’t want daughter to miss out.
I have invited my SIL who has decided she wants to eat a gluten free diet. I told her most things she will be able to eat but could she bring her own gluten free bagel, croissant, bread - whatever she prefers.
Well - she is very upset with me saying to be invited to my house then being asked to bring her own food is rude. She then said could someone pick her up and take her home as it’s only 2 weeks after her knee replacement and won’t be able to drive, she has also asked me to stay with her for a week after her knee replacement to look after her. So I am very good to her.
AIBU to ask someone with dietary requirements to bring own food.

flappergirl Wed 14-Feb-24 20:06:34

icanhandthemback

undines

I'm GF and while I get a bit irritated at pubs and restaurants that do not have GF (it's SO easy to provide) I know it can be hard for friends. I think SIL sounds demanding and is quite rude also! GF is dead easy to find even in small supermarkets, so you might like to have a few rolls in the freezer. It's not easy to cope with all the food preferences and sensitivities, and I almost always take my own. No biggie!

I am diabetic and just can't understand why they cannot provide sugar free drinks other than Cola which is stuffed with caffeine. There is rarely a dessert which is suitable either. 1 in 16 people is diabetic. It's the same in Supermarkets. I can access gluten free (1 in a 100 have an intolerance) where they have a special stand for gluten free products but you have to read all the backs of packets for sugar free.

I remember when I was a child that Boots (the large one in our city centre) used to have a range of diabetic products including jams, marmalade, biscuits and I'm pretty sure there were chocolates as well. This was in the 60's.

Our lovely elderly neighbour was diabetic and my mum always made the pilgrimage at Christmas to buy her something from this range of products. I do remember mum saying how expensive they were.

Rainnsnow Wed 14-Feb-24 20:10:10

I can’t have gluten and it would be easier for me to buy my own as some are awful. A loaf can be upto £3.50so I would make a sandwich and bring that . Also I know it’s not been near anything I can’t eat . Jacket spuds are my go to as it’s a comfort to eat those . Friends are good about it all but I’m used to navigating it all . Your relative sounds fed up and after a fuss .

Sarahr Wed 14-Feb-24 20:25:58

You have plenty that she can eat. It isn't unreasonable for you to ask her to bring her own bagel, bread etc to accompany the food you have prepared. SIL may decide not to come and you are then left with bread products that nobody else eats.
I once catered a whole buffet because one invited guest was gluten free. The gluten free guest never came, but everyone else enjoyed the buffet.

Hobbs1 Wed 14-Feb-24 21:07:41

It’s really easy to pick up gluten free bread, snacks, cakes etc, all the big supermarkets stock a good range. My DiL is vegan, gluten free and I can always cater for her at family meals.
I think I would be upset if I was asked to bring my own food to a gathering/party.

jocork Thu 15-Feb-24 11:58:31

I have had one of my son's friends to stay a few times. He is coeliac and always brings his own breakfast items. The first time he stayed with me I was unaware of his condition but on recent occasions I have cooked suitable foods for him, though he still brings his own breakfast! If you know in advance it is easy to buy gluten free items these days but many coeliacs prefer to take their own items rather than risk a mistake. My son's father in law is coeliac and was ill last weekend after a takeaway meal we had that turned out not to be gluten free as expected! If your relative is coeliac then maybe you should be accommodating, but if she is not diagnosed but just choosing to eat less gluten she can surely bring her own.

grannyro Thu 15-Feb-24 15:34:40

Glutton free food is available in most supermarkets. As you will probably be doing a large shop before the event I don't see why you couldn't pick up a couple of glutton free things for her. Would you ask a vegetarian to bring their own food?

merlotgran Thu 15-Feb-24 16:13:47

Glutton free food is available in most supermarkets

Oh I wish! 😂😂

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Feb-24 19:54:21

merlotgran

^Glutton free food is available in most supermarkets^

Oh I wish! 😂😂

Yes, I had a giggle at that typo or autocorrect!

BlueRuby Fri 16-Feb-24 17:35:35

I'm coeliac. The boom in gluten free food has really helped, although it's expensive. Although I am a bit miffed that people who need a gluten free diet seem to be lumped together with vegans. Regarding your question, tbh, if someone I know invites me to eat with them I do expect them to provide the appropriate food. M & S do really good GF bread, and you can freeze whatever she doesn't use for her next visit.