Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Has anyone taken up something new?

(156 Posts)
mollie Sun 08-May-11 09:04:08

Now that I have a lot of time on my hands I want to try something new...after a working life using my brain I'd love to use my hands to be more creative but can't decide what or how to begin...I've signed up for courses locally but inevitably they are cancelled 'through lack of interest'...

Has anyone taken up a new interest - how did you start? Are you enjoying it?

maryjane Thu 26-May-11 10:05:51

I started a new business after seeing the need from my new dribbly grandson. I am the designer of the original dribble bib Dribblebuster which is sold from my online shop at www.dribblebuster.co.uk

maryjane Thu 26-May-11 10:08:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maryjane Thu 26-May-11 15:24:04

Oh I love machine embroidered textiles, it
looks so effective. Where is your shop?

patann Wed 08-Jun-11 18:52:16

I tried zumba also GrannyTunnocks and loved it.
Its the music really makes it differant.
I also linedance and would recommend it to anyone, its not how it used to be, yee ha and cowboy boots, its modern linedancing to modern music, its a brain workout as well as a body workout, remembering the steps and sequences.
The great thing about it is you dont need a partner.
I look forward to each class.

bikergran Wed 08-Jun-11 19:09:41

"patann" I really loved my laindance classes and the social side of it...and yes the hats and lassoos have long gone lol except for the socials etc......I would love to take it up again...but since grandson has come along and daughetr works odd nights..then.I will have to wait a little longer.....have had a look at Zumba on youtube lol not sure if im quite ready for that lol..but good luck to all..{smile}

patann Wed 08-Jun-11 22:35:46

yes bikergran family comes first, Im lucky that I can look after grandchildren and still go to classes during the week.
you can always go back to linedancing when youve more time,
most classes are very friendly and welcoming.

newforestnan Tue 14-Jun-11 21:00:05

When we have a special trip or event I use my photos to make a simple story to read to the children and then for them to read to me as they get older. I use the folders with plastic wallets in so they last longer. They love them! The older children are beginning to make their own now.

AmberGold Wed 22-Jun-11 15:07:25

I've been setting up a new business and have also enrolled on a short course at the V & A Museum in September.
Busy busy.

frida Thu 23-Jun-11 11:44:22

I'm having a go at making a lampshade, I can't find the correct size in the shops or online so decided to make my own, it's for a floor lamp and I like the base and don't want to throw it out. It looks quite straightforeward on the internet tutorial but 'proof of the pudding' and all that.

pinkhater Fri 01-Jul-11 20:10:29

I don't know where you live but have you thought about trying an activity break?
The WI has a lovely residential college near Oxford, called Denman college - find it on the internet. They do all sorts of short courses and they're not just for WI members.
The last time I looked there were also many activity breaks around, from 1 day workshops to a week.
I have had your experience of signing up for something and then it doesn't happen. So keep trying. I think a new interest is so uplifting for the spirits.
Good Luck

nipsmum Thu 07-Jul-11 20:32:32

I retired about 10 years ago. I had nursed and brought up 2 daughters and needed to have something to do. I started cardmaking and as I wasn't at all artistic or imaginative I found inspiration from magazines tv and the internet (i had just enrolled in a computer course as 1 of my daughters had given me for my 60th birthday) I foung a great deal of satisfaction making cards for family friends and neighbours. I still make Christmas cards but little else now.
I have however restarted knitting and at present knit for 3 granddaughters, charity and knit shawls to sell on ebay. I still can't sit and do nothing

davinator Wed 27-Jul-11 14:52:47

like the sound of the sock monkeys, can anyone give me advice on how I get started and what they are? Do lots of crafts which involve my sewing maching, would like something where I can just sit and listen to the radio or watch TV and be creative.

Caro1000 Sat 20-Aug-11 19:43:13

Have you looked at the ARCA website, they hold details of many venues that hold a huge variety of day and short residential courses. I can highly recommend them, I often go on them and have the most wonderful time and meet a lot of lovely people. Website is: www.arca.uk.net/

Caro1000 Sat 20-Aug-11 19:57:42

Perhaps I should have added a bit more detail, Belstead House in Suffolk is very reasonable if you are within driving distance and Knuston Hall at Knuston is not too badly priced, some are bit expensive but when you have learnt you can then carry on at home, I have recently done stained glass, silversmithing, silver clay, watercolour and all of them can be done at home. Not sure about the prices further away from London, those are my two nearest which are about 1½ hours drive away.

alexphotog Sat 20-Aug-11 22:11:57

I have just finished a Fine Arts Degree at the age of 60. Very pleased as I got a First. Interesting and challenging particularly as I lived in a student hall of residence with 19 year olds. I learned a lot from them! Am starting an MA in September as don't want brains to rust. Also got sewing machine out after 35 years and learned to hula hoop. Still can't get the hang of knitting.

carosanto Fri 18-Nov-11 23:23:27

Love crafting, from patchworking to cardmaking, to mosaic to decoupage and oh yes papier mache a favourite with kids.

But recently went on a one day beadmaking course. I'm hooked, what a great idea for presents, and doesn't matter if you screw up, each bead is individual and each necklace, bracelet, etc is unique. Try it, it's fun and relatively cheap. Caro

Greatnan Sat 19-Nov-11 07:05:24

I have no interest in craft and I can't join any clubs because I live in an isolated part of France. However, after nearly 40 years of taking no exercise (I gave up roller dancing when I was pregnant at 22) I discovered snorkeling when I was 58 and visiting my daughter in Malaysia. Since then, I have travelled the world finding coral in tropical seas.
Since retiring to France, I have also discovered the joys of mountain walking and usually walk for a minimum of two hours a day, even in snow.
I have tried white-water rafting (wonderful) and this year I am going to start skiing - seems daft not to, as I live in a little ski resort.
I will be spending most of the next two months in a lovely part of New Zealand and my daughter has lots of long walks lined up for us, plus lovely places for swimming, in the sea and also pools in rivers.
I feel much fitter at 71 than I did in my 40's and 50's, when I drank too much, ate too much and drove everywhere.

grannyactivist Sat 19-Nov-11 07:13:45

Greatnan those are impressive achievements.
I recently tried salsa lessons, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but the teacher moved so swiftly through the steps that I constantly found myself adrift with no idea what came next - fortunately there were others finding it even more difficult to keep up than me, so I didn't feel completely foolish.
Last winter I spent a few days on a Christmas craft course and discovered that if I follow a demonstration exactly I can produce some interesting things, but don't seem to be able to come up with anything original.

Butternut Sat 19-Nov-11 13:55:36

Writing word pictures on The Joys of Winter thread.....

supernana Sat 19-Nov-11 14:07:08

Butternut Beauty is all around. We only need the eyes to see...

starrygal Sun 04-Dec-11 21:13:52

I quite fancy taking up Morris dancing. I reckon it would be a good way to keep fit, and I'm very interested in traditional English customs.

I've heard about mixed dancing groups (ie men and women), but can't find any near me. If anyone knows of a mixed Morris dancing group looking for new members in Cheshire, could they let me know please?

Greatnan Mon 12-Dec-11 17:58:15

I am about to take up kayaking, here in New Zealand, but it is rather rainy at the moment, although warm. My daughter and SIL have bought two two-seater sea kayaks - they live about 12 miles from the coast near Richmond, on South Island. I love anything to do with the sea, on it, in it or under it!
When I return to France, I am determined to find a dance school in my nearest town so I can once again experience the sheer delight of ballroom dancing with a good partner.
I salute anyone who enters high-level studies at a more mature age - I became a trainee tax inspector at 50 and I have to admit that I found the immense amount that needed to be committed to memory much more daunting than I would have when I was 30 - 300 tax cases and the entire contents of the various taxes acts. I think it would have been easier if I had been studying something like psychology or anthropology, which deeply interest me. Now, I just enjoy reading about the things that I like.

jogginggirl Mon 12-Dec-11 18:14:14

Oh brilliant Greatnan - I love it that you are so adventurous. I'm not keen on water sports of any sort but love walking. We spend time in SW France each year and never tire of the views offered by the Pyrenees. Like you, I am determined to take up ballroom/latin dancing in the New Year. In fact I am hoping for some introductory lessons in my Christmas stocking.......nudge, nudge wink wink to o/g.....grin I danced years ago and loved it. The great thing is that we have a very good dance school within 25 minutes of home, the surprising thing is that we do indeed live in the middle of nowhere, how lucky is that? Good luck with the kayaking and finding a dance school when you return to France.
Happy holidays and Christmas smilewine

glammanana Mon 12-Dec-11 18:20:40

No wonder she is called Greatnan is there no stopping this woman she is terrific,I hate to just get water in my eye's.wink

Greatnan Tue 13-Dec-11 09:47:11

Thank you, jogginggirl - there is great excitement here at the moment as two of the three adult children left in England are on their way here for Christmas - it reminds me of A Christmas Carol!