Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Has anyone taken up something new?

(155 Posts)
mollie Sun 08-May-11 09:04:08

Now that I have a lot of time on my hands I want to try something new...after a working life using my brain I'd love to use my hands to be more creative but can't decide what or how to begin...I've signed up for courses locally but inevitably they are cancelled 'through lack of interest'...

Has anyone taken up a new interest - how did you start? Are you enjoying it?

tiggy Sun 08-May-11 09:11:34

Join a local art group, I started painting seven years ago and it has opened up a new world, meeting new friends and it's something you can learn, there's loads of information on the net, painting holidays etc.

mollie Sun 08-May-11 09:17:08

Glad to hear it's been a success, tiggy...what sort of painting? Watercolours or something more mucky?

bikergran Sun 08-May-11 09:28:24

Yes!! riding a motorbike lol not quite nightclass material but lol.smile

Joan Sun 08-May-11 09:56:32

Well, apart from food gardening, keeping chickens and getting a dog, I've joined a writers' group run by U3A.

This is so much fun - you'd be amazed at the talent of some of the people I have met there. I even got inspired to write a play - well, I'm part way through. Also the local U3A is putting on a Winter Expo in August and I'm in it. Never before have I done any of this stuff.

I'd like to get back to knitting and embroidering too, but never seem to get round to it. I do have to make myself a Victorian dress as I'm Gwendoline in an extract from The Importance of Being Earnest. So I'd better blow the dust off my sewing machine................

HildaW Sun 08-May-11 10:03:23

Yes U3As are a jolly good idea.they have a National Web site that can point you to local groups.

mollie Sun 08-May-11 10:43:59

Bikergran! I am inspired!!! Go girl!!!

Joan: I've looked at our U3A and it does have a huge range of interesting subjects - sadly the ones I might be interested in have a waiting list and I'm hopeless at waiting...

I really fancy doing something like weaving or letterpress printing or splashing the paint on a huge canvas but can't find any courses to fit the bill...but I won't give up!

grannyrosie Sun 08-May-11 11:14:41

Since retiring two years ago I have attended water and oil painting courses, singing, cookery, sugarcraft and cake decorating courses and have now volunteered to help out at our local NHS hospital - nice to keep busy!

I look after my son and daughter-in-law's dog during the day and am looking forward to helping out with a new grandchild due in November.

My sewing machine has come out of the garage after 10 years and have just made a summer skirt! Am now knitting frantically and oh.....must finish the tapestry I started in 1982!! Never a dull moment.

mollie Sun 08-May-11 12:40:11

Ooh, you've been busy, grannyrosie! My first grandchild arrived in January and I took up the knitting needles for the first time! The end results weren't perfect but they were made with love!

prudencepotts Sun 08-May-11 12:50:38

According to David Brooks, in his new book, 'The Social Animal', "joining a club that meets once a month produces the same happiness gain as doubling your salary." My fortnightly Writers group meetings certainly fill me with joy, so eager am I to write my piece and read it out at the next meeting. Being creative, no matter how, is what matters.

Nannyliz Sun 08-May-11 14:12:23

I started card making around 4 years ago and absolutely love it. I really didn't realise how creative I was, although I've been crafting (knitting, sewing, embroidery) since was a small child. I'm retiring in just over 4 weeks (not that I'm counting the days or anything!) so hopefully will be able to spend more time on my hobby.

Any other cardmakers out there?

nanamo Sun 08-May-11 15:25:23

Hi every body new girl on the block.
I have just started doing encaustic art, go on google it.

mollie Sun 08-May-11 17:03:19

Yes, me too Nannyliz ... smile

I've been looking at encaustic art as a possibility, nanomo ... how's it going? Having fun?

nanamo Sun 08-May-11 18:56:34

yes having lots of fun, and the grand children also enjoying it.
It isn't cheap to buy so you need to be sure its for you. I had a practice with a friends first. Also got book from library, and watched a video on line. Last but not least what are you going to do with your finished works of art?

Lorsfaffy Sun 08-May-11 19:11:21

I have been scrap booking, using lots of family photo's, I make up books for the family. they are very well received, and the children learn things about themselves about when they were growing up. they make lovely gifts too. I made one for my parents 60th wedding anniversary, started with photo's when they were young right through to the grandchildren.

mollie Sun 08-May-11 19:55:59

Folks just love that sort of personal gift don't they Lorsfaffy... I gave my son a box of keepsakes I'd gathered through his life when he turned 30 and he was really pleased to be given in ... a scrap book must be a lovely to receive...

Nannyliz Sun 08-May-11 21:08:50

I saw encaustic art demonstrated on a "crafty" shopping channel yesterday, it looked absolutely amazing. I do wonder whether it's as easy to do as it looks though. I'd love to have a try.

Grumpyoldwoman Sun 08-May-11 23:02:31

Last winter during bad weather I made a few ''Sock Monkeys'' for grandkids and daughters...then it ''took off''. I made over 250 last year and had a stall at an Agricultural show.
I spend a lot of time in the house as I have a disabled husband so it is an ideal hobby.......I have booked another stall this year.
Marks & Spencer must wonder what on earth I do with the dozens of pairs of socks I buy at a time online !!
I donate some of the profits to charity.
Don't you wonder how you found time to go to work ???

mollie Mon 09-May-11 07:19:19

What a lovely idea, grumpyoldwoman! Good luck to you ... perhaps M&S would be kind enough to give you a discount as it's in a good cause!!! (I know, probably not...)

Grumpyoldwoman Mon 09-May-11 09:30:04

Thank you Mollie.
I really enjoy making them as they involve a lot of hand sewing which I love.
Not sure about M&S discount ...but I make the most of their sales and just bought lots of 'camouflage' welly socks to make 'soldier' monkeys.
I gave one to my 6 yr old grandson and he was delighted ....10 ins later he whispered ''but Nana I'll need two so they can fight !!'...can't argue with that !!!!

Grandmacool Mon 09-May-11 11:35:22

I took up painting about 7 years ago and I love it, I taught myself from books. Some like my stuff and some don`t. As long as I am happy while painting then that is all that counts.

Good luck with finding something that suits you.

nanamo Mon 09-May-11 16:04:27

nannyliz, if you stick to abstract pictures then yes its childs play anything else takes time.

grumpyoldwoman, would love to see some of your soldiers, any chance of a picture?

mollie Mon 09-May-11 16:50:14

I would love to have a go at a number of things but would certainly appreciate 'taster' opportunities before shelling out for materials and equipment...my local area isn't great for arty stuff but I live in hope!

Photos would be good - go on, show us your talents!!! :0

lesleyanne Mon 09-May-11 18:53:11

Hi everyone I'm new on this site but looks like fun. I have been retired for 3 years and started scrapbooking at that time but have now gone into digital scrapbooking which is great fun. Have 4 grandchildren aged from 17 to 6 and the 6 yr old has cystic fibrosis which keeps us busy and I dog walk.

heleena Mon 09-May-11 19:13:53

I enroles at college and did fashion textiles. This inspired me to make machine embroidered pictures and felt items I have since moved into making fleece clothing for children and ladies and have opened a shop selling my wares - and wears!