Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Has anyone taken up something new?

(156 Posts)
mollie Sun 08-May-11 09:04:08

Now that I have a lot of time on my hands I want to try something new...after a working life using my brain I'd love to use my hands to be more creative but can't decide what or how to begin...I've signed up for courses locally but inevitably they are cancelled 'through lack of interest'...

Has anyone taken up a new interest - how did you start? Are you enjoying it?

Anya Sun 08-Feb-15 22:33:49

No not going to blow my own trumpet yet Anno apparently the band has spare instruments I can use for the time being. I mean how hard can it be? It's only one note at a time.

I was having second thoughts Jane but you've just given me an incentive.

Galen Sun 08-Feb-15 22:49:31

[hm] darling daughter took it up. We banished upstairs with a mute for practice!
When I was young I played the violin.
My brother called it the vile din, and the Alsatian howled every time I tried to practicesad

annodomini Sun 08-Feb-15 22:58:02

Good luck with that, Anya. You must be a good musician already to have the confidence to take up a new instrument.

Anya Sun 08-Feb-15 23:12:36

Thanks Anno I play the piano but wind/brass instruments are completely alien to me (except for the recorder). Hey ho, nothing ventured???

rubysong Sun 08-Feb-15 23:54:24

I have done a few decorated cakes and recently (with the aid of YouTube) learnt how to make sugar paste roses. I needed them for a cake for the wi party and enjoyed making them. I shall try carnations next.