Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Two ply knitting. Does anyone do it nowadays?

(36 Posts)
nanapippa Mon 09-May-11 15:17:19

I love knitting with two ply wool for new born babies, as it is so soft and not too warm. My problem is that I can't find any patterns for two ply wool except for a Sirdar shawl and there is a limit to the number of those a baby needs!! Can anyone help me please?

Maniac Sat 28-Jan-12 18:28:08

This takes me back.I knitted a 2ply shawl for my first daughter (now 52).
I don't know what happened to the shawl but I believe I may still have the pattern.I haven't seen any 2-ply wool for years.
I might try Ebay.Love knitting in 2ply and it will keep my hands busy whilst watching TV for a long time.

operacat Sun 04-Mar-12 11:22:47

If you mean lace-knitting, yes, I do this. Actually I knit professionally, and one of the items I make is Shetland Lace. You may like to have a look at my craft and textile blog:

leonora-textilecraft.blogspot.com

And here are some links to suppliers of lace-weight yarn...starting of course with Jamieson and Smith in Shetland!

www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk

www.fyberspates.co.uk/

www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/cart/ordermerino_lace.php

www.artesanoyarns.co.uk/Yarn%20Pages/manoslace.html

Another beautiful lace-weight yarn is MANOS DEL URUGUAY, I have used that as well.

pinkscorpio Fri 11-May-12 14:18:42

Since retiring I've been able to spend much more time on my knitting. At the moment I've knitted lots of socks in all weights of wool for friends and family. One of the problems is that some of them wear through quite quickly especially if they wear them around the house instead of slippers. Can anybody tell me if there is a specific type of wool I should use that is hardwearing?

Sandrada Fri 12-Oct-12 13:47:07

Because it is usually toes and heels that wear out, have you tried reinforcing them with "invisible nylon thread", as you knit? I have used this technique with success and simply knit with both the sock yarn and the nylon thread for the heel flap and toes.
I also reinforce heels and toes by k1 sl1 for one row and then normal knitting for the alternate row.

petallus Fri 12-Oct-12 14:18:07

I knitted a scarf using two lots of 2 ply in different colours at the same time(bright pink and beige).

Lilian Sat 02-Feb-13 11:19:32

Hi, I have just joined this site after a lot of problems trying to get registered, anyway I am here now :D

nanapippa, have you found the patterns you were looking for? I have some old knitting books that have patterns for baby and adults. I have looked through some of them and they use 2ply wool. I wonder if there is any patterns you would like?

lilian

judidoo Wed 05-Mar-14 10:22:28

Spinninggran - do you spin? I used to spin before the arthritis.

Maniac Wed 05-Mar-14 12:35:11

Last winter I knitted two lace shawl/shrugs from fine wool on cones left over from my machine knitting days.I'll try to put on 'Picture' thread
Our new wool shop in Nailsea has lots of machine knitting yarn on large cones -approx 2ply thickness .
It's rather expensive -probably better try e-bay.
With painful shoulder since Nov I'm finding knitting difficult.

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:45:37

This site had a couple of books, but I can't get any pictures to come up on my computer.

www.laughinghens.com/knitting-pattern.asp?patternid=3484

Maywalk Fri 20-Jun-14 21:22:40

I have one ot two old patterns for 3 ply yarn on size 11 and 13 old UK sizing which is 2.25mm and 3.0mm if they will be of any use to you.
Cardigans, vest, babies dress and little pants.
I dont want to part with the patterns but I could always send a copy to your e-mail address if you could get them printed off.