Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone else think the no knitting needle rule on airlines is stupid

(82 Posts)
NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:22:00

Hi all knitters and crocheters. Just travelled back on a turkish airline. I was happily crocheting in the depart lounge and for 3 hours on airline when a young male trolley dolly tried to take my 2.50 hook off me. The female dollies were amazed and took my side. I kept my hook! The border controls allow these and wooden needles thro. I spoke with a stewardess and she has told me to lobby relevant aviation authorities - which I shall do

NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:29:11

Discussing with others, it would seem that a belt or a heel of a shoe or a duty free bottle could be used as a far better weapon. Is it me? I love needlework and even give free lessons to all who want to learn.

Bags Wed 02-May-12 21:36:01

I agree, nanachrissie. I bet nobody has ever been injured (or even threatened) by a crochet hook on a plane. Airlines have just got paranoid.

Trying to imagine a hold-up by The Crochet Hook Kid......

Nah.

Maniac Thu 03-May-12 09:28:08

There was a time when charity shops were not allowed to sell knitting needles because they could 'offensive weapons'!

absentgrana Thu 03-May-12 09:38:40

I'm not sure about crochet hooks, but you could inflict serious damage by stabbing someone through the eye with a knitting needle.

On my recent flight duty free bottles were not allowed in the cabin and had to be collected on disembarkation.

I think the security stuff has got seriously out of hand and serves little or no real purpose.

whenim64 Thu 03-May-12 09:57:00

The way I knit, there would be no elbow room for the knitting needles, nor for someone to sit next to me! [grin}

pompa Thu 03-May-12 10:16:26

I'm happy for anything that could be used as a weapon to be banned from carry on baggage. The strict controls are there to make it safer for everyone, however low the risk. Apart from which the clicking of knitting needles on a long flight would drive me insane.

JessM Thu 03-May-12 10:35:32

Can't have it both ways can we. If we want to be treated as equals that includes us being potential terrorists. grin

Gally Thu 03-May-12 11:23:30

I think we should be grateful that security is so good, especially in this country. Be assured, terrorist attacks are just waiting to happen. In Australia on domestic flights, you are allowed to take bottles of water, no problem, but not on International flights from there. Ok to blow up a domestic flight then? On the other hand a couple of years ago at Gatwick I had an almost used lip balm removed 'for forensic tests' by a very officious female security person. It was returned with much ceremony hmm

AlisonMA Thu 03-May-12 12:26:15

I sympathise but on the whole think I would prefer the security. Even on a long haul flight it is not very long to be without your knitting or crochet (I speak as a knitting addict!) and a good book is an alternative.

Jacey Thu 03-May-12 13:57:31

Yes ...but!! There are not 'universal' rules about this!! confused

In North America ...Air Canada allows you to knit ...unless you've embarked/disembarked via London Heathrow!!

Watched someone knitting socks ( four double ended needles) Quantas flight from NZ to Australia. Told Air NZ allows people to embroider too.

Bought an embroidary kit in Sydney ...last minute so had to go in hand luggage ...declared it going through security to ask if I could keep the needle ...that was OK ...but took away the scissors ...which had already gone through on outward journey from Heathrow!! hmm

It is the BAA that sets such tight regulations ...not necessarily the airlines...and I reckon if I was that way inclined ...I could stab someone in the eye with a pencil or pen ...I wouldn't need a knitting needle!!shock

Ariadne Thu 03-May-12 14:14:40

I'll put up with all the security, and be thankful for it too!

I have to say that I have twice had the misfortune to sit next to a knitter on a plane, and it's a good job I'm a polite sort of person, because the sound, especially when I was trying to sleep, and the wriggling arm drove me up the wall.

letty Thu 03-May-12 14:18:35

I would love to be able to knit at the airport as it would help me relax while waiting for the plane. I have had tweezers taken from me at security so I don't hold out much hope for getting knitting needles or crotchet hooks through.

granjura Thu 03-May-12 14:42:14

I really do hope you won't succeed- airport security is a nightmare, and knitting needled used for the wrong reasons could indeed be deadly weapons. They have to be consistent surely?

Yummygran Thu 03-May-12 15:36:41

Ah but AlisonMA...a book could be a deadly weapon too.....you could inflict serious injury with copy of War and Peace!!! grin

When we were returning from Italy last year my partner was told he had a dangerous weapon in his hand luggage and was confiscated...... a pizza cutter, a gift for my son!!!

Annobel Thu 03-May-12 16:36:12

The tweezers I had taken from me once at Manchester Airport were so tiny as to be completely harmless and yet I got through Edinburgh Airport security wearing a brooch with at least a 3 inch pin. Evidently they just didn't notice it. Is anyone else fed up with being patted down because of their joint replacements? Manchester Airport has now got a total body scanner which let me off the hook nicely but at Paris CDG I was again patted down. I call it humiliating!

absentgrana Thu 03-May-12 16:42:03

In spite of putting belt, keys, small change and anything else he can think of in the trays, Mr absent always sets off the alarms at airports. I once nearly left him at LA standing on printed footprints in his knickers with four burly men pointing guns at him because I was desperate to catch a connecting flight. And I'm the one with a screw in my ankle to hold my foot on!

Annobel Thu 03-May-12 16:55:27

absent shock

Butternut Thu 03-May-12 17:07:36

The ruling seems pretty pointless to me.....grin

absent grin.

Anagram Thu 03-May-12 17:11:23

Butternut! grin

Jams Thu 03-May-12 19:59:58

Having worked in a medium secure unit - I soon learned about a range of seemingly inocuous items that could be used as weapons. One woman (whom called herself 'the impaler') even deliberately scewered herself with a wax crayon through her navel (OUCH) I still cringe to this day when I see wax crayons.

Sook Thu 03-May-12 20:31:26

On one of the knitting sites there is a badge available to buy 'Warning! Armed with pointy sticks grin

pompa Thu 03-May-12 20:47:45

I always get the personal treatment (hip sets it off), full body search, I think it is really objectionable -- I always get the guy, why can't I have the attractive lady.

Anagram Thu 03-May-12 21:04:32

That's probably what he's thinking, too, pompa! grin

Jacey Thu 03-May-12 21:07:15

pompa shock