Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone else think the no knitting needle rule on airlines is stupid

(83 Posts)
NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:22:00

Hi all knitters and crocheters. Just travelled back on a turkish airline. I was happily crocheting in the depart lounge and for 3 hours on airline when a young male trolley dolly tried to take my 2.50 hook off me. The female dollies were amazed and took my side. I kept my hook! The border controls allow these and wooden needles thro. I spoke with a stewardess and she has told me to lobby relevant aviation authorities - which I shall do

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:25:41

Ariadne. Also have that t-shirt. You will know what I mean when I say "dangerous knitting needle found in dustbin...". Or another one... "dangerous knitting needle spotted under suspicious stationary vehicle which was being checked with mirror by security forces". In my day, it was usually explosive devices. But perhaps there is another ethnic joke somewhere to finish that sentence.

Ariadne Tue 15-May-12 20:46:00

nannachrissy exactly!

nanachrissy Tue 15-May-12 17:18:27

I agree Ariadne, if people can manage without smoking for a few hours when that's an addiction, I'm sure knitters can manage without their needles.
The mere thought of someone being stabbed with a needle is horrible.

Ariadne Tue 15-May-12 17:13:34

But, as we were told when in Northern Ireland with the army in the 80s, never underestimate the ingenuity of a terrorist. It is a serious issue, and if it discomfits some people, well, tough! (Not given to arguing, but...)

FlicketyB Tue 15-May-12 16:42:47

A year or two back DD and I went by ferry to our house in France. Ours was one of the cars selected to go through the security check and some concern was expressed when they saw we had an electric chain saw in the boot. In the end they let us on and DD and I had an enjoyable and silly time imagining how we would hijack the ferry using said saw. One of us wielding the saw, the other clutching the lead and plug we would rush the bridge and the one with the saw would make whatever demands we might decide to make, while the other rushed round the bridge trying to find somewhere to plug the saw in so that it could be used. Both of us could see the flaw in our plans.

SuzieB Mon 14-May-12 19:47:48

Bamboo or wooden knitting needles don't make a lot of noise. I'd rather listen to a fellow passenger's clicking knitting needles than a loud ipod. And pens, pencils or chop sticks could do just as much damage as knitting needles.

I too want to be secure, but this flying thing is ridiculous. I read about a guy recently who had his shaving kit confiscated, but then was able to buy razor blades in duty free.

NanaChrissie Sat 05-May-12 22:24:28

Last post to absent... I meant to sat the meccano screwdriver.

NanaChrissie Sat 05-May-12 22:22:10

They have probably made a radio out it by now. Or, hopefuly, retractable knitting needles.

NanaChrissie Sat 05-May-12 22:14:19

Evening all. Watching tommy lee jones and wesley snipe film the other week. Con air flight don't appear to have searches carried out. An object - pen look alike - caused explosion, blew hole in plane which crashed and wesley snipes escaped to later prove his innocence. Is it the old, weak,defenceless who are easier targets.

NanaChrissie Sat 05-May-12 12:23:05

Hi all. Just to advise that I have also posted on the "Unreasonable" forum. Just seen something else to add here. I had in fact forgotten about loose change which can be put in a sock and used as a cosh. Although I am sure that a trained terrorist would be laughing his head off - he will probably have more sophisticated and inventive means to hijack a plane. I intend to lobby Aviation Authorities. It may well be that we will have to start travelling naked or in an airline orange all in one. Why do I do this. It is one of the very few times that I can actually pick up my needles. Cannot even access GN - which I have only recently joined. Thank you for reading this.

absentgrana Fri 04-May-12 16:25:33

The Jackal's gun was designed to look like crutches and he made himself look disabled (one-legged), a veteran and ill. He tested the gun's sighting by using watermelons hung from the branch of a tree. Don't go there jeni. We'd miss you. On the positive side (je quois), he didn't succeed in assassinating le Général.

jeni Fri 04-May-12 16:20:47

No, explain!

absentgrana Fri 04-May-12 16:15:34

jeni Crutches – have you read The Day of the Jackal? Certainly don't bring watermelons back on the ship with you as well!

jeni Fri 04-May-12 15:28:39

wine

jeni Fri 04-May-12 15:28:17

grin

nanachrissy Fri 04-May-12 15:16:38

Jeni it's that naughty twinkle in your eye that does it! wink

Annobel Fri 04-May-12 14:42:41

No saying what you could conceal inside one of those hollow crutches, jeni. Vodka probably. grin

jeni Fri 04-May-12 14:22:27

With two replacement hips and a large screw in my ankle, iset any metal detector into dancing a fandango. I always use wheelchairs at airports, so I don't go through the scanner now. I get frisked instead! And also on cruise ships when coming back from shore excursions. They even insist on putting my crutches through the scannersmile

Jacey Fri 04-May-12 13:49:57

Had one of those handbag hand's clean gels in plastic bag ...less than 100mls ...had a ratty woman at security take it out for forensic testing!! shock and have had the full drugs test sensor over my ruck-sack too!!

But ...you don't smile at them, engage in conversation with them, crack a joke in their presence and certainly never argue with them!! They have the ultimate power ...and some of them love to use it!!

ho hum!! I have no desire to miss my flight!! So ...go with the flow

absentgrana Fri 04-May-12 11:14:31

A couple of years ago, I sent a Meccano set home to New Zealand with my daughter as a present for my eldest grandson. In Hong Kong, the security people confiscated the tiny screwdriver, which no-one had worried about at Heathrow, thus rendering the present unusable.

This time, I carefully packed liquids, all less than 100 ml, in a transparent bag as required. However, I completely forgot about the complimentary pack of moisturiser, toothpaste, handcream, perfume, etc. given to me on the plane. In fact, at one stage, I had two of them in my hand luggage.

It's all completely mad.

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 06:39:54

Of course, as soon as they took my good tweezers off me, I felt a wire-like hair on my chin!
My GD was bringing two girls to stay with me in France and they ignored all my advice (what would I know, I only flew back about six times a year) and put expensive, unopened hair products in their hand luggage. I guess the staff at Leeds/Bradford did not have to buy many toiletries or cosmetics for a year or two.

NanaChrissie Fri 04-May-12 01:28:34

Forgot to mention Jacey. I take a thread cutter. I put it in the tray with other stuff that goes thro machine. It was looked over once and then pushed through the scanner. So I now just leave it in my purse.

NanaChrissie Fri 04-May-12 01:21:19

A sincere thank you for all comments. My apologies if I am annoying - I had a cup of coffee about 4pm and am still wired and, unusually, cannot sleep. I should have had cocoa or Ovaltine. Time to get the needles out!

NanaChrissie Fri 04-May-12 01:18:28

Hi Greatnan and all tweezer users. Perhaps we should take our own personal "threaders" instead. Being silly now. I was walking through the shopping centre today and two ladies were "eyebrow threading". Has anyone seen this? It is a long thread held in either hand and pulled by the teeth of the threader. I remember a story about an escaped convict who used dental floss to cut through cell bars. So. Can we take dental floss on the aircraft?

NanaChrissie Fri 04-May-12 01:13:16

Hi Annabel. Also forgot that jewellery is dangerous too. Thank you for that mention.