Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone else think the no knitting needle rule on airlines is stupid

(82 Posts)
pompa Thu 03-May-12 10:16:26

I'm happy for anything that could be used as a weapon to be banned from carry on baggage. The strict controls are there to make it safer for everyone, however low the risk. Apart from which the clicking of knitting needles on a long flight would drive me insane.

whenim64 Thu 03-May-12 09:57:00

The way I knit, there would be no elbow room for the knitting needles, nor for someone to sit next to me! [grin}

absentgrana Thu 03-May-12 09:38:40

I'm not sure about crochet hooks, but you could inflict serious damage by stabbing someone through the eye with a knitting needle.

On my recent flight duty free bottles were not allowed in the cabin and had to be collected on disembarkation.

I think the security stuff has got seriously out of hand and serves little or no real purpose.

Maniac Thu 03-May-12 09:28:08

There was a time when charity shops were not allowed to sell knitting needles because they could 'offensive weapons'!

Bags Wed 02-May-12 21:36:01

I agree, nanachrissie. I bet nobody has ever been injured (or even threatened) by a crochet hook on a plane. Airlines have just got paranoid.

Trying to imagine a hold-up by The Crochet Hook Kid......

Nah.

NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:29:11

Discussing with others, it would seem that a belt or a heel of a shoe or a duty free bottle could be used as a far better weapon. Is it me? I love needlework and even give free lessons to all who want to learn.

NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:22:00

Hi all knitters and crocheters. Just travelled back on a turkish airline. I was happily crocheting in the depart lounge and for 3 hours on airline when a young male trolley dolly tried to take my 2.50 hook off me. The female dollies were amazed and took my side. I kept my hook! The border controls allow these and wooden needles thro. I spoke with a stewardess and she has told me to lobby relevant aviation authorities - which I shall do