Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone else think the no knitting needle rule on airlines is stupid

(83 Posts)
NanaChrissie Wed 02-May-12 21:22:00

Hi all knitters and crocheters. Just travelled back on a turkish airline. I was happily crocheting in the depart lounge and for 3 hours on airline when a young male trolley dolly tried to take my 2.50 hook off me. The female dollies were amazed and took my side. I kept my hook! The border controls allow these and wooden needles thro. I spoke with a stewardess and she has told me to lobby relevant aviation authorities - which I shall do

NanaChrissie Sat 05-May-12 22:24:28

Last post to absent... I meant to sat the meccano screwdriver.

SuzieB Mon 14-May-12 19:47:48

Bamboo or wooden knitting needles don't make a lot of noise. I'd rather listen to a fellow passenger's clicking knitting needles than a loud ipod. And pens, pencils or chop sticks could do just as much damage as knitting needles.

I too want to be secure, but this flying thing is ridiculous. I read about a guy recently who had his shaving kit confiscated, but then was able to buy razor blades in duty free.

FlicketyB Tue 15-May-12 16:42:47

A year or two back DD and I went by ferry to our house in France. Ours was one of the cars selected to go through the security check and some concern was expressed when they saw we had an electric chain saw in the boot. In the end they let us on and DD and I had an enjoyable and silly time imagining how we would hijack the ferry using said saw. One of us wielding the saw, the other clutching the lead and plug we would rush the bridge and the one with the saw would make whatever demands we might decide to make, while the other rushed round the bridge trying to find somewhere to plug the saw in so that it could be used. Both of us could see the flaw in our plans.

Ariadne Tue 15-May-12 17:13:34

But, as we were told when in Northern Ireland with the army in the 80s, never underestimate the ingenuity of a terrorist. It is a serious issue, and if it discomfits some people, well, tough! (Not given to arguing, but...)

nanachrissy Tue 15-May-12 17:18:27

I agree Ariadne, if people can manage without smoking for a few hours when that's an addiction, I'm sure knitters can manage without their needles.
The mere thought of someone being stabbed with a needle is horrible.

Ariadne Tue 15-May-12 20:46:00

nannachrissy exactly!

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:25:41

Ariadne. Also have that t-shirt. You will know what I mean when I say "dangerous knitting needle found in dustbin...". Or another one... "dangerous knitting needle spotted under suspicious stationary vehicle which was being checked with mirror by security forces". In my day, it was usually explosive devices. But perhaps there is another ethnic joke somewhere to finish that sentence.

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:35:11

From one to another, NanaChrissy. Wouldn't know about addiction - I don't smoke. Come to think, the only time I knit or crochet is when travelling. Usually winding down and looking forward to holiday. I just cannot be idle for one thing and I do enough reading at work. I also envy people who can sleep on an aeroplane or train. I have no problem on a boat or in a car, strangely enough.

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:38:07

FlicketyB. ROFL smile ( ROFL - rolling on floor laughing )

JessM Thu 24-May-12 06:43:12

I remember landing off the Irish ferry in Fishguard once, child in tow. I was obviously dressed like a terrorist in my leather biker jacket and mirror shades cos I got pulled over by special branch. smile I think they have got a bit more sophisticated since then and a good thing too. It is hard for them to know where to draw sensible lines. I was also at Luton the first day they brought in the "no liquids" rule, with no prior notice. People arguing about having to put their lipsticks in the bin.
I hope the Olympic park security will be slick - it will be very much like airline security with some extra rules (I mugged up) : no excessive amounts of food and no T shirts with political messages, or large letters of the alphabet!
You'd have to go some wouldn't you, to actually get enough seats with your friends to mount an effective T shirt demonstration from the stands.
I have a very old T shirt somewhere with RELAX on it. Must make sure I don't dig it out, although it would be an appropriate message for the athletes.
Well actually I hope that the other spectators will read the info in advance and not slow things down. Getting 10s of thousands of people through the turnstiles quickly is going to be a real challenge.

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:47:11

SuzieB. Good one. Another to post to the CAA. Also, you can purchase aerosol sprays with shaving cream. And then we should mention spray perfume. And aerosol toothpaste. Just imagine, NanaChrissy, what would happen first - being blinded by a spray of perfume or shaving cream or being stabbed with a wooden knitting needle? As I have said before - we will soon be travelling in orange all in one's, secured to the seats by hand and foot.

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:51:54

Which reminds me, FlicketyB. I bet if you were coming back into the UK from France...! You could well have been carrying extra passengers without even being aware. Weren't these "border controls" turning a blind eye to II's? Wonder if these illegals also had knitting needles with them. wink

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 06:59:59

Wonder if knitting needles and crochet hooks are allowed at the Olympics. I once went to Wimbledon and took my knitting in anticipation of rain - which it did. Actually, there were other ladies with the same notion.

JessM Thu 24-May-12 07:03:09

Most scary thing I ever saw in duty free was a giant bottle of brandy in the shape of an equestrian statue of Napoleon. (they like this kind of thing in China)
Most original item - in Dubai - a book of poems, in Arabic, by one of the government ministers.

Bags Thu 24-May-12 08:26:17

I don't count watching the world go by when I'm travelling as being idle.

Stansgran Thu 24-May-12 17:41:34

About time they started profiling. Infuriates me that at Manchester 2 weeks ago they dug out my very small amount of makeup -everything under 60ml-made me buy a nasty plastic ball with 2 plastic bags for £1-a nice little earner. Avoid the woman who looks like an aging Goth-white face dyed black hair in the xray area who seems to be enjoying holding people back. At Geneva airport they had people gazing intently at the xray machine and querying intelligently
and I would trust them far more. They totally missed a penknife on a key ring and a metal phial with perfume in it in my handbag in Manchester.

JessM Thu 24-May-12 17:50:25

Damned if they do and damned if they don't then stansgran confused
Who or what would you profile?
Suspect knitting needles would rightly be deemed a potential offensive weapon and confiscated at the Olympics.

NanaChrissie Thu 24-May-12 18:11:29

We are sorting out the possible potential weapons from biros to belt buckles to heeled shoes to the travel bags on wheels with metal handles, etc. I think we should give a prize for the best one. Knitting needles and crochet hooks are too obvious. The penknife disguised as a keyring is leading at the moment, but, wait a minute.... straighten out the key ring itself and, guess what, another potential weapon. shock

I was watching Grey's Anatomy for the first time a few months ago and one of the patients was a prisoner from the local "pen" who came for life saving treatment at SGH. One of the other prisoners had sharpened the end of a toothbrush to use it as a weapon - very effective, too. The patient died having been stabbed in a very tender spot. You can purchase a toothbrush from Boots at Stansted.

Actually, border control lets me through every time with the wooden knitting needles and crochet hooks. It was the Turkish male, trolley dolly (Turkish airline) who had the problem even though his female colleagues argued in my favour - so I was allowed to carry on crocheting. Who, in their right mind, would learn to do Aran knitting and lace crochet in order to have a potential weapon. See above posts for ideas for possible weapons from handbag handles to duty free bottles.

Now that I have made you all neurotic .... I'll just wander off to another forum.

Anagram Thu 24-May-12 18:16:39

I've just thought of another one - paper clips! Especially those large ones. Unbent, one of those could certainly so some damage....hmm

absentgrana Fri 25-May-12 09:45:17

Do you remember when, at the height of mainland bombing by the IRA, department stores, theatres, cinemas, museums, etc. all had security staff to search handbags as you entered? I have no idea how many times my bag was searched but I never saw anyone check the cigarette packets that I inevitably had with me in those days. Equally, I never saw anyone unzip and look inside my fairly sizeable make-up bag. I have also inadvertently boarded a plane with a cigarette lighter in my pocket – no one noticed it until I did and handed it over to a stewardess. They had, however, already taken away my nail scissors.

All this inspecting is only as good as the inspectors and I would guess that they quickly grow bored.

Did you know that you can buy a ceramic knife with a razor-sharp blade. Of course, it doesn't show up on X-rays.

sueaveyron Sat 02-Jun-12 17:22:35

The cabinet attendant was wrongly informed and over zealous. Knitting needles are allowed on planes. It used to just be plastic ones but that has now been relaxed. Excellent occupation for flights.

granjura Sat 02-Jun-12 17:30:43

Well I am one for sure who hopes there are no knitting needles on my flight on Tuesday. It would be so easy for someone to take said needles from the knitter to threaten staff or others. You can profile the original user, but not others who could take them and misuse. Put your knitting and needles in your case- surely you can wait for a few hours?

granjura Sat 02-Jun-12 17:34:36

Knitting needles are definitely not allowed on planes in France btw.

Jacey Sat 02-Jun-12 18:36:38

Seems they're not allowed in our local charity shops either ...they cannot sell potential weapons! shock

JessM Sat 02-Jun-12 19:25:01

Ah I know one where they do. OUr local hospice shop. Maybe they haven't heard.