Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Punch needle

(5 Posts)
tattynan Fri 17-Aug-12 22:59:02

I have just been on a punch needle embroidery course and had a great time. It's so easy to do and you can create some lovely crafts.I've already finished one project of an angel and have just started a new one today on a winter theme.I'm hopeless at trad sewing but the punch needle technique is easy for me and gives good results.

Nonu Sat 18-Aug-12 08:27:49

That sounds very good , glad u had fun , it is always nice to learn something new

Zengran Sat 18-Aug-12 09:14:05

What is punch needle embroidery? Sorry, I only know knitting and crochet! It sounds interesting and something I might like to do.

tattynan Sun 19-Aug-12 19:56:01

Punch needle embroidery is some times called Russian punch needle as it originated in Russia.You work on an embroidery hoop and use a threaded punchneedle to literally punch through the weavers fabric.You keep punching the thread forward which creates a running stich on the top of the fabric and small loops under the fabric. The looped side is the right side of your embroidery that you will display. It's v easy to do and gives great results. You can google punchneedle and get lots of info on it and there are tutourials on youtube.

petra Thu 18-Oct-12 17:16:05

My Father gave us one of these kits when we were children. I'm 66 now and I was probably about 7 then.
He was a sailor and I have no idea where he got it. I have never seen one since until the other day when I saw it on TV.
It really is very simple.