Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Turning a cardigan pattern into a jumper - advice please?

(8 Posts)
frankie74 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:55:22

How's the cardi conversion going?

I'm currently trying something similar. The pattern is for a cable-knit boy's cardi, and I'm turning it into a cable-knit sweater dress for DGD. Luckily the sleeve shaping is the same front and back, so I'm doing 2 backs, and will start the neck shaping for the front when I get to the right point (a bit of trickery will be required I think).

I'm obviously making it longer too, and have done a picot hemline, to be folded back and stitched in place. To keep the cable pattern but to create a slight flare, I started on size 5mm needles, doing the hem and first 10 rows, then did 10 rows more on size 4.5mm, and then the rest up to the neck on size 4mm, which is the right size for the pattern, so that the chest measurement comes out right. I'll probably do a little picot edge to the neck and on the cuffs, to make it a bit feminine.

Just hope it turns out OK. I've got till Christmas!!!

littleflo Tue 07-Oct-14 18:47:24

You are welcome Icyalittle. Hope it turns out OK. I am currently knitting dolls clothes

Icyalittle Tue 07-Oct-14 12:40:42

Oh thank you, littleflo. I think I will just have to give it a try. I will use my common sense hmm or failing that come back for more advice....

littleflo Tue 07-Oct-14 08:41:50

I should add that if you go for the boat neck option, you will still have to start the front shaping earlier otherwise the front will come too high up the neck.

littleflo Tue 07-Oct-14 08:37:18

I don't see why you cant follow the back pattern until the neck shaping and then follow the instructions that would have been the shaping. You could do this to the top or just make a small 3 button opening like a polo shirt.

Icyalittle Mon 06-Oct-14 22:15:13

Tried Ravelry, tanith but there really aren't many patterns for it. It's Bergere de France Goomy 50, which self-stripes as you knit.

tanith Mon 06-Oct-14 21:59:09

That might not work Icyalittle as the sleeves are often different front and back, could you not find a different pattern for the same wool. If you look on Ravelry.com they have lots of free patterns and you can search for the wool that you already have .

Icyalittle Mon 06-Oct-14 21:55:52

I've got some really nice wool, but the pattern for it is a cardi. My DGS prefers jumpers (well my DD does grin ) - do you think I could just do 2 backs and make it a boat neck jumper?