Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Just finished this blanket!

(144 Posts)
Indinana Fri 11-Sep-15 12:01:36

I saw this idea online of crocheting around a piece of fleece to make a baby blanket and had to give it a go!

stillhere Mon 26-Oct-15 22:56:00

Yes, I look at that blog occasionally, but although I do crochet I prefer to knit. Having said that, I have just finished a double-sided cushion cover using a combination of Tunisian and double crochet. I had a whole load of offwhite wool oddments that needed using up, and a large ball of aran weight heather-coloured wool, plus far too many single buttons needing a home. Tunisian crochet produces a tweedy effect, it's very thick so uses a lot of yarn.

rosequartz Mon 26-Oct-15 23:35:28

They look very impressive, I love the flower one stillhere.

I have been a bit lazy lately (well, not lazy but not knitting or practising crochet much). There seemed to be a mistake in my knitting pattern so I emailed the firm and was awaiting a reply. However, although it seems odd it is apparently correct.

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 11:16:49

They do often make mistakes in patterns, though. You think you are going mad.

Indinana Tue 27-Oct-15 12:24:41

That is lovely stillhere and looks very strong, as though it will hold its shape and last well - unlike the cabled cushion cover I made with a size 10mm circular needle and super chunky yarn. After about 3 months it looked so baggy and shabby that I threw it out. And it was such a b****y fiddle to do angry.

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 12:36:01

Oh that's dreadful when it happens, I bought a knitted cushion cover that did that and vowed never again, I would do my own in something I could de-bobble. Not all yarns seem to like being stripped of their bobbles.

Yes, it's incredibly thick, my grandmother said people with access to lots of knitting wool were able to make thick winter coats out of it during the war using the process. I wish I could see a photo of one.

rosequartz Tue 27-Oct-15 20:04:28

stillhere they have emailed me back very promptly and assured me that the pattern is correct.
I still find it odd, though, it is picking up stitches around an armhole for a waistcoat and there is an increase of 4 stitches each time between ages 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 then suddenly a 15 stitch increase for age 9-10.

I have a photo of me in one of those knitted swimming costumes .... I will not post it on here grin

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 20:07:23

grin I just escaped knitted ones, my mother made ruched ones which were almost as bad - they would fill up with sand and you would have a baggy bottom.

rosequartz Tue 27-Oct-15 20:09:04

I progressed to one of those but I think it was a bought one (very posh!)

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 20:22:42

I bet you never had to wear one made out of towelling - that had formerly been the bathroom curtains! grin

rosequartz Tue 27-Oct-15 20:23:29

grin that's very thrifty!!

stillhere Tue 27-Oct-15 20:37:00

I was almost 14 and mortified. It was thick and bulky and made my bust look huge, with all the darts. It was bright turquoise with yellow fishes swimming all over it. blush It was almost by way of punishment for having had the temerity to grow out of the previous year's.

rosequartz Tue 27-Oct-15 20:46:33

I would have been huddled up in a towel blush

Indinana Wed 28-Oct-15 11:40:48

Oh no, stillhere, the thought of wearing something like that! I feel your mortification blush. I remember hinting that a wanted a new swimsuit for my birthday when I was about 10. What I really, really wanted was a sleek, black, stretch nylon 'regulation' swimming costume, which seemed very modern and grown-up to me. What I got was an elasticated cotton thing, green printed with seashells and crabs. I had to pretend to be pleased with it, but I was so disappointed sad

stillhere Wed 28-Oct-15 19:54:33

I did manage to mortify my mother in return though - we were going abroad and I wore a bra and pants set to the beach instead!

ninathenana Thu 29-Oct-15 00:36:27

I'm late coming to this thread as I haven't knitted since my DC were small and it was always fairly basic.
Mum however was brilliant and could adapt a pattern to suit your requirements.
She made the same shawl as mcem at least it looks the same. She also made a long coat and a bonnet in the same pattern as the shawl for DD' s christening these were adapted from a matinee set pattern.

ninathenana Thu 29-Oct-15 07:55:50

My memory playing tricks. It's not the same as mcem's but it is similar

rosequartz Thu 29-Oct-15 19:39:00

Gransnet is bad for craft.

stillhere Fri 06-Nov-15 16:36:06

I do manage both - just!