Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What is your craft?

(174 Posts)
Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 12:46:18

I just said, on another thread, that I didn't take to card making because all my hard work gets thrown in the bin shock and it made me wonder what everyone else enjoys.

My craft seems to be "Christmas" which seems to suit my rather butterfly mind. It may, in any one year, include sewing, crochet (do knit but it's not a favourite), and original style decoupage - flat not 3D. I am currently learning to use a rather elderly embroidery machine which I bought second hand to personalise some gifts and decorations - it only has a small hoop but that is all I need and I am going to try folk art when there is a gap!

I am sure some of you are less inclined to flitter and I would love to know what you do.

ninathenana Mon 12-Oct-15 13:48:20

Like this

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 13:56:03

rosequartz I think we are easily put off because we think we may fail (that's me anyway smile ). I am just the opposite to you. I am good at small and neat - my hand hemming would please any nun but trying to work on a larger less defined project is something I find really difficult. I try to keep telling myself that the difference between art and craft is that craft can be learned. If you keep repeating what you are trying to learn you will get there eventually. I don't always believe it though and I expect to know something straight away hmm

kittylester Mon 12-Oct-15 13:56:42

Wow, that is good nina. We are thinking of starting a group in the library - I might go along!

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 14:09:01

Luckygirl I envy your quilting and photography. Quilting is one of the areas where I find difficulty with. It's freehand embroidery as much as anything - I want a line to follow. I did make a patchwork cushion for my granddaughter. She sent me a picture - well her mum did as she had said, in the shop, "Granny could make that". I have to admit that some of the seams on the picture had frayed edges and mine didn't smile. My quilting was straight line and a quarter of an inch from the seam on either side - pleasing to a neat freak. Strangely I love what Tilly Rose makes with her vintage look on things - but I think that is neat in an unconstructed way.(I'm not sure anyone will understand that!)

Photography is my downfall. I am so bad. It is one of the things I just don't get and I would love to have good photos of the things I make; they are just not I'm afraid.

janerowena Mon 12-Oct-15 14:09:12

I love the stripy rug, jings. The dotty effect is very effective.

Every year, my mother, from when I was about eleven, would get me to make her a new rug to stand on in the scullery, which was stone-flagged and freezing. She would either give me wool offcuts from a woollen mill to make a proper rug, or her old tights to cut into strips, which would then either become proddy rugs, a Tunisian crochet rug, or a plaited rug. I would try to surprise her each year. By the end of each year they were wrecked and filthy from all the spills, and as each new rug was presented at the end of the winter, the old one would be ceremoniously burnt. I wish I had a photo of them all.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 14:17:31

rosequartz I think we are easily put off because we think we may fail

I don't do much photography any more - DDs are professional photographers!

However, I think I am never satisfied completely with anything I make, am always conscious of the tiniest fault and think that other people will find the faults in it too!

I remember the rag rugs some of the much older generation had on their scullery floors and in front of the fire!

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 14:18:14

Macramé, janerowena that brings back memories – dad again I’m afraid. He used to teach it to the scouts - he was a scouter in his spare (?) time – and they made lanyards. It is now so popular in jewellery making I wish I had paid attention but I didn’t. It seems everything comes round if you wait smile

I love the sound of the cashmere throw!

Teetime Mon 12-Oct-15 14:26:30

I used to knit and sew but sadly Arthur-ritis has got the better of my hands so I do a bit of scribbling - just started another Creative writing course and I cook a lot. I do wish I was arty though - I have tried but its no good.

Elegran Mon 12-Oct-15 14:31:59

I think some of the things you make from leftovers come out better than an grand expensive planned design.

Some of these things are interesting - made from recycled junk. Never throw any materials out!

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 14:34:31

I have a house full of junk I could recycle

SIL learned macrame (with an accent), apparently he made hanging basket holders for his DM.

Right, off to do something more constructive grin

Auntieflo Mon 12-Oct-15 14:43:12

We have a Readicut rug that my parents made when I was living at home. I got married at 19 and am now 73, so not sure how old it is, but it is still going strong as a hall runner. I remember Mum and Dad sitting facing each other, each with an end on their laps, and working towards the middle. I did wash it once, in the bath by treading on it, and could barely lift it out when wet. So I thought you might like to see my nearly smile antique rug.

hildajenniJ Mon 12-Oct-15 14:43:44

I was never any good at anything crafty. I have made the odd soft toy from a pattern, but it was so laborious and I was so slow that I gave it up. I hated sewing at school, and I disliked knitting even though my mother tried her best to enthuse me! When I was in my twenties I went to evening classes to learn how to crochet. At last, something I could do that I enjoyed, and was good at. I've crocheted all sorts of things, afgans, sweaters and cardigans, baby's bootees, floor rugs. I really enjoy making doilies and pot holders. I haven't got anything going at present though, and evenings have something missing. I must look for something interesting to make.

chloe1984 Mon 12-Oct-15 14:44:53

Have to be honest I do not undertake any sort of craft work whatsoever. Did buy an adult colouring book and pens but got fed up after 15 minutes par for the course for me. Am in total admiration at others on here and their achievements.

ffinnochio Mon 12-Oct-15 15:09:11

I thoroughly enjoy nature photography. One day I'd like to have a super-dooper camera. Meanwhile, my point and shoot with a few options is good enough. It hasn't worked so well since I dropped it! shock

Katek Mon 12-Oct-15 16:25:04

My long time favourite are crochet and cross stitch but I also do tapestry, long stitch, black work and making felt soft toys, I also like cobbling together props and costume accessories for the panto

Katek Mon 12-Oct-15 16:27:05

What happened to that first sentence? Why can't we have an edit button?!?!

suzied Mon 12-Oct-15 16:45:35

I love dressmaking. I go to college one day a week and do dressmaking and pattern cutting. I have just made this jersey tunic dress which I will wear over jeans or leggings with a jumper underneath. I made the pattern so it fits! For some reason the preview only shows the midriff of the dress you have to tap it to see the colourful yoke!

Katek Mon 12-Oct-15 16:48:55

Lovely. smile

loopylou Mon 12-Oct-15 16:58:38

Gosh jingl, I'd snap up the striped one in a jiffy, it's lovely.

I did make jewellery (and have a shamefully enormous stash of beads sitting idle) but my eyesight isn't as good as it was. I knit mainly, crocheting evades me beyond the very basic stitches.
I have tapestry kits and fine cross stitch supplies hidden away - I very much doubt they'll ever be started let alone finished sad

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 17:01:52

I love the things you have shown on here so ... forgive the photograph but this is a dress, "pants" and bag - it also had a matching headband, that I made for my granddaughter.

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 17:04:33

Suzied lovely dress. Did you use an overlocker on the jersey or a sewing machine?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 17:05:17

That's very pretty. smile

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 17:14:49

Right, off to do something more constructive
I fell asleep instead shock

Now, somewhere in the glory hole understairs cupboard is a whole set of magazines called 'Discovering Needlecraft' which DD took years ago; there are lots of instructions on different crafts plus small kits to make things. I must dig it out, especially if we are going to have a cold winter.

The tunic dress is lovely suzied; I did sew with jersey years ago for the DC but I know it's not easy to work with.

Gracesgran, that is a lovely little outfit with great attention to detail - and unique. What a lucky little GD!

suzied Mon 12-Oct-15 17:31:47

Yes I have an overlocker which is great for sewing jersey. I am just learning how to sew knitted fabrics properly and avoid all that puckering and waving that can happen, it's not that difficult after a bit of practice.

apricot Mon 12-Oct-15 19:16:17

I made most of their clothes for four little girls but children don't wear home-made things now so I make useful stuff like curtains and cushions.
What I like best is hand-sewing and embroidery. I belong to Embroiderers Guild. I've just finished a rag doll with six outfits for littlest grandchild.
I don't make anything just for hanging on a wall, it's got to have a use.