Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Photographs

(16 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 02-Sep-16 18:39:57

I too make scrapbooks really trendy and arty I ve done them for my kids started on the grandkids now

mrsmopp Fri 02-Sep-16 18:20:31

I was going through our photos and found a lot of those strips of little photos, like you use for passports. But these were all taken on various holidays or days out, as those machines were everywhere. Some lovely pics of my kids at various ages, wearing sun hats, eating ice creams, pulling funny faces. I separated them all, mixed them up and arranged them randomly in a plain frame. It's on the wall in the hall.
It's lovely to see them at different ages, all looking so happy. I'm pleased, as it does capture happy memories of fleeting childhood years that pass all too soon.
No grandchildren yet, I'm still waiting... hmm

Clickgran Mon 22-Aug-16 14:23:55

I have starting making scrapbooks for each of my grandchildren to display photos adding handmade flowers etc. they love them

jusnoneed Tue 26-Jul-16 18:21:18

I tried to put some pics of mine on too, but cannot add pictures either.

wot Tue 26-Jul-16 16:14:47

Can't put right photo on......grrrrrrgh!!

wot Tue 26-Jul-16 16:08:42

Photo, hopefully!wrong one, I try again.

wot Tue 26-Jul-16 16:04:57

I've made several scrapbooks with my photos. You can get all kinds of what they call embellishments from ebay ans special albums. I found doing that as a hobby very enjoyable! I'll try and post a photo of one of the album pages.

jusnoneed Tue 26-Jul-16 12:53:14

I have made scrapbooks (the modern version) for each of my boys. There are pages starting with their ggrandparents etc with details of them on the pages. I gave my eldest his a few years ago and he was thrilled with it. The youngest sons albums carry on up until present day (he's still home) and includes lots of holidays and friends. I have also started an album to go alongside the family tree, hopefully someone will find it interesting in years to come and like putting faces to names. This starts with my gggrandparents.
My uncle has done dvds with a lot of old photos, he does it himself on the computer.

Gononsuch Tue 26-Jul-16 11:38:34

Not very clear, its the OAP discount, we are after.

Gononsuch Tue 26-Jul-16 11:36:28

We,ve got Max Spielmann, we took 5 hours of vhs tapes going back to '82, they put them all on dvd, I then put them on usb memory stick carry them around with me.

If you're over 65 don't try and do it yourself only cost about£50 but its really worth-it.

JackyB Tue 26-Jul-16 11:30:55

I have a large mirror in the hall which up until now was framed by a long, artificial, hanging ivy. The artificial plant (not a natural one because it's very dark in the hall) has now got dusty and unsightly and I have had the idea of replacing it with a frame of cork tiles, to which I would pin random photos and post cards.

(In fact, the ones at the bottom I would have to stick on because the toddler grandchildren could pull out the pins...)

The cork-tile-frame I had thought I would make by cutting the tiles into smaller squares and arranging them at different angles to make a sort of crazy-paving style. Similarly, the photos would be pinned on at varying angles and overlapping - so there would be room for plenty.

The mirror seems to be in place of a door that may once have been there, so it is set back from the wall. The basis for the frame could be cut out of MDF and screwed to the wall surrounding the mirror.

You could do this on any spare piece of wall - hall, landing, stairwell or loo. The basic shape needn't be rectangular.

So that would be a large-scale project which would use up photos. You can change them about as and when you get new ones or fed up with some of the old ones, or you can stick them down and varnish over them. But do scan them first. And note down who's on them. You never know when you're going to start forgetting!

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Jul-16 22:35:30

I'm in the process of scanning all the old family photos onto the computer to make a photo book. With a few dates and personal bits. I hope to make one for each of my DC too adding their childhood pictures. A sort of family tree. It's proving to be a time consuming occupation!

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jul-16 22:24:05

Make a digital story - in essence a series of photos with underlying music/speech/poetry. You can do this easily on the video programmes of most computers. They are usually short and characterised by their ability to encapsulate a mood/era in a short time. They can be very effective - google "digital stories" - also Daniel Meadows who was one of the first to develop the technique.

I made many, one about my mother's death, using old photos of her, a poem about her that I had written and some stunning music by Frank Bridge.

NotTooOld Mon 25-Jul-16 22:02:07

Buy a big canvas and make a collage? You could either do it fairly haphazardly or start with the oldest pics on the left moving on the more recent ones on the right.

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jul-16 21:17:55

Digital photo frame - you will have a rolling series of portraits.

Joan123 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:08:04

I've got a large cardboard box full of photographs. They are mostly of my children growing up but also some spanning generations. I'd like to produce something arty that pulls them together. Any ideas?