Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Tapestry

(6 Posts)
Elegran Tue 02-Aug-16 17:50:43

Odd bits seem to multiply themselves. You use them up on something but don't quite have enough, so you have to buy more - then you have to find some way to use up the bits left over from what you bought to finish the thing you started with the previous leftovers. It could go on for ever!

Stansgran Tue 02-Aug-16 17:06:17

I think that's lovely Elegran. I've just used a load of random threads on a band sampler with the DGCs initials and dates of birth. I'm now using up wools and an odd piece of canvas. I'll still have too much left.

Elegran Tue 02-Aug-16 16:34:46

Yes, there are a lot of kits and charts on the net, or you can design your own once you know the basic patterns. When you have done a few lines, you follow on from the previous rows, so no need to keep checking the chart (and going cross-eyed)

I did the one in the photo making it up myself, to use up a whole lot of wool that I had accumulated (can send you a chart if you PM me your home email or postal address.) You can also use embroidery thread, if you have it, but you need 9 strands of Anchor stranded cotton to cover the canvas which means cutting two lengths and halving one of them to use three out of that as well as the six in the other, it gets a bit fiddly, but looks lovely and silky.

Anniebach Tue 02-Aug-16 16:18:20

Thank you Elegran, so s frame it is. Love the florentine , can one buy in the UK ?

Elegran Tue 02-Aug-16 15:59:17

I don't do cross-stitch any more either, AB, the bigger stitches of tapestry are much easier once your eyes are less sharp.

A round hoop can distort the rectangular shape of the tapestry, and they are often a bit flimsy for the heavier canvas. You are better with a square frame, like this - mariescrossstitch.co.uk/tapestry-frame-21-x-12-inches/?gclid=CLi20uf8os4CFeYp0wod04QFSQ (lots of other sellers, this just happened to be one of the first that came up)

You roll the extra canvas around one bar and tighten a wing-nut, then loosen the bar to roll it further along when you have done all you can reach.

Have you tried Bargello/Florentine work? The stitches are longer that tapestry ones, and the designs very striking and colourful. Some images - florentine patterns

Anniebach Tue 02-Aug-16 15:16:27

I am switching from cross stitch to tapestry ! Anyone know if I can use a hoop with tapestry canvas please?