Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Christmas craft ideas

(41 Posts)
BabsAnn Fri 14-Oct-16 10:33:59

I understand that I really should not be mentioning the C word BUT please forgive me on this occasion. I am newly retired and am very keen to start new hobbies. After many years of not having the time I would really love to have a more 'homemade' Christmas and because this will probably take me some time thought I'd better start now. Does anyone have any good ideas on relatively easy christmas crafts (that look impressive) I could make a start on? thanks!

shysal Tue 08-Nov-16 08:55:55

I have made pasta angels in the past with the GCs. They are simple with Uhu, or even easier with a glue gun.
Pasta angels

shysal Tue 08-Nov-16 09:03:55

Covers for chocolate orange covers went down well as stocking fillers.
www.gransnet.com/forums/pictures/a1211916-Christmas-knitting?msgid=25385141

JackyB Tue 08-Nov-16 12:51:28

I always intend to do a table centre, but in the end, just strew a few pine twigs, pine cones, ivy and ribbon around the table. There's never room for any more than that anyway once the table is laid.

One year, one of my sons brought 2 American girls home (nurses) for Christmas. They stayed for a few days and spent one whole afternoon making beautiful table decorations with things from the garden. I gave them a washing basket which I had filled with small decorative items and some secateurs to cut whatever they wanted from the hedges and trees outside, covered the dining table with newspaper and they were happy as sandboys for a good couple of hours!

Purpledaffodil Tue 08-Nov-16 14:08:27

Lovely beanie Grannyknot. What a lucky boy your GS is to have such a talented GM. Mine would have very cold heads if they waited for a hand knit from me. wink

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Nov-16 14:50:27

I am currently knitting hats for smoothie bottles for Age UK. I'm classing this as a Christmas craft just because they have to be handed in the week before Christmas. I'm a very basic knitter and am quite chuffed even to have progressed to stripes since I started a few weeks ago! And there are several with dropped stitches... Still, it keeps my hands usefully occupied while watching far too much telly.

Jalima Tue 08-Nov-16 17:13:03

Has anyone knitted the Sirdar teddy and bunny comforters for babies?
I was wondering if they were quick and easy or a bit fiddly to make before I send for a pattern.

Jalima Wed 16-Nov-16 11:28:35

I saw this pattern on the Sirdar website and thought they looked lovely.

Unfortunately, I can't crochet (although I have tried many times!) but thought someone on here may like the pattern:

www.sirdar.co.uk/images/products/Christmas%20Baubles%20in%20Bonus%20Glitter.pdf

angiebaby Thu 15-Dec-16 19:58:23

hello girls,,,,,,,,im a crafter, i make cakes love to bake,,,wedding cakes sugar houses gingerbread houses...iced and decorated buiscits,,,,cards, knitting quilting,,,sewing...i decorate anything i can get my hands on,my latest thing was to give a pretty christmas bauble,,,tie a big bow on it and spell freinds names out in glitter stick ons and stick onto bauble, wrap in pretty tissue paper and give as a gift, lovely, if anyone would like to send me their address i would be happy to send them a box of craft bits free at the moment, i also want to start a swop box....a lovely way to exchange crafting bits....

annodomini Thu 15-Dec-16 20:30:54

Hello angie, it seems a long time since we' ve seen you on Gn. How have you been?

Mimiko Mon 06-Mar-17 11:01:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Newatthis Wed 13-Sep-17 19:56:20

There are lots of American based websites which have numerous tutorials for beginners up to advance. Also, you could go on utube where you can find many tutorials.

harmony987 Fri 15-Sep-17 12:15:45

In the last couple of years I've been to two Christmas-craft events, both organised by local charities as fund-raisers.

There were about 20 tables set up, and each one related to a different craft. At one you could make a wreath for the door. All the foliage, the wire, the decorations etc were supplied, and someone demonstrated how to do it and helped each of us with our wreaths. Other tables were for making small tree ornaments, fire-starters (from pine cones), gift tags, Christmas cards and so on.

If you could find one in your local area, it would be a great way to try out a few crafts and see what takes your fancy, without having to invest in any equipment or materials.

Artyfarty Mon 25-Sep-17 19:26:08

I made this wreath last year. Easy to do and very effective.

Stansgran Mon 25-Sep-17 20:24:22

These table centres are easy

Happysexagenarian Sat 10-Mar-18 18:47:10

I realise this is quite an old discussion, but I'm just browsing through all the various topics and Christmas crafts always interest me. I have a handicrafts table at our village fair every Christmas and last year I made lots of Peg Doll tree decorations. They were very popular and are so easy to make. I also made Nativity Sets and Cushions. Handmade Cards are always well received and they can be as simple or as intricate as you choose. I hope you enjoy your crafting. Have fun!