Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hurrah for my early Christmas present!

(29 Posts)
Indinana Thu 01-Dec-16 19:36:05

Because of painful hands - some sort of arthritis for which I'm being referred to a rheumatologist - I've been unable to knit for some time now. I've really been missing being able to create lovely warm sweaters and cardigans for my grandchildren......but guess what?!!! My lovely DH has bought me a knitting machine for Christmas! It's only a very basic one, but that's fine, because it's what I'm used to - I bought a Knitmaster machine when I was 17 and used it right up until DS and DD were in their late teens. Then when we were having a sort out it got put in the garage and somehow stayed there. On investigation years later it was, inevitably, rusty tchsad.

So now I can knit again! OK, it doesn't quite take the place of being able to sit knitting while watching TV, but at least I can make knitted garments again, so I'm very happy tchsmile

Auntieflo Sun 04-Dec-16 17:58:17

Indinana, your little Bessie bear is beautiful. Clever you to get the face so right, and the colours are lovely. Congratulations

nancyma Sun 04-Dec-16 18:29:06

Indinana I love your bear what a good idea. I have started a patchwork quilt for my granddaughter, it's seemed such a good idea at the time!!

Indinana Sun 04-Dec-16 22:31:07

Sorry everyone, I haven't checked in for a couple of days - I see several of you have asked me about the knitting machine and it looks as if I've been ignoring you blush

Willow oh yes, I'm allowed to use it - I've already made one small jumper for a small person!

Nelliemoser, Jalima and Cherrytree59 - the machine is really very easy to use, but I have to say I don't really follow the instructions to the letter. You see, it is so similar to my old one, and I had become very used to converting hand knit patterns for use on the machine and simply did it my way. For example, without a ribber attachment, it says you can do K1, P1 rib by undoing every second stitch, dropping it down and then picking it up the opposite way. Well I tried this and not only is it laborious, but it really does not finish up looking like a hand-knitted rib. So I hand knit the ribs and then transfer the stitches onto the machine, which gives a much better result. And yes, I know I said my arthritis has prevented me from knitting, but now I'm on new medication (Naproxen), I can manage small amounts at a time.
Setting up the machine and actually using it is very easy, nothing complicated about it at all. The instruction book tells you how to, for example, knit just one section of the piece and put the remaining stitches out of action. So for shaping a neck, you can knit one side, then bring the other needles back in position and knit the second side. It's very easy. And QUICK!!!! I can thoroughly recommend it smile
I love the sound of all your family keepsakes Cherrytree, how marvellous that you've kept them and can pass them on. I don't have anything like that to pass on to my grandchildren.

paperbackbutterfly wow, you must have had a fancier machine than mine, with a lace carriage. I must admit I have been very tempted by the more expensive models, but I'm happy with mine for now, nothing too taxing for my ageing brain, haha!

And finally, thank you all for the compliments on Bessie - last seen being wheeled round in a dolly pushchair grin