Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knit a hat for this year’s innocent and Age UK Big Knit campaign. Best hat wins a prize!

(56 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Dec-16 16:57:08

Calling all crafty gransnetters.

Fancy knitting some little hats to support innocent and Age UK's The Big Knit to help keep older people warm this winter? For every hat-wearing bottle sold, 25p is donated to Age UK. There are plenty of patterns to inspire you (from the very easy to the challenging) but you're very welcome to devise your own creation too.

Once you've finished your hat (though don't feel you have to stop at one!) take a photo and upload it to this thread.

On January 31st we'll select the best five and put them to a Gransnet vote where the winner will receive a bundle of books to the value of £80 as well as a stash of delicious innocent Smoothies.

Usual T&Cs apply

Grannyknot Mon 13-Feb-17 12:59:08

smile smile thanks! And well done gamebird!

Gamebird Mon 13-Feb-17 12:45:05

Wow, thanks everyone. I am totally in awe of those of you who can knock out one of these in 20mins!

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Feb-17 18:16:45

Congratulations, Gamebird and Grannyknot! Both very worthy winners! smile

shysal Fri 10-Feb-17 15:55:57

Congratulations Gamebird and Grannyknot. Your hats are lovely. I used to watch out for my efforts in Sainsbury's, saw one once.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Feb-17 15:29:58

...Gamebird as the winner! Check your inbox please Gamebird. We'll be sending you an email shortly. And GrannyKnot you were the very close runner-up so we'll send you a little something too.

Thanks again smile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Feb-17 15:25:56

Thanks to everyone who took part! All the hats were lovely and GNHQ is in awe of your skills. The results of the poll are in and you have chosen....

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Jan-17 14:12:45

No you don't, Jalima! And I am going to ask around and see what charities would welcome my basic offerings. As long as it's something simple that I can do while I'm watching TV, I'm in!

Jalima Tue 31-Jan-17 13:43:44

oh dear, I sound like a misery guts
sad

She is very sweet, she would make a lovely finger puppet!

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Jan-17 13:40:32

Can't I just pretend I did that knitting granny? wink

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Jan-17 13:39:46

Right, here she is. 20 minutes to knit and 40 minutes faffing with the hair!

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Jan-17 08:37:53

Innocent make a small donation to Age UK for every bottle sold with a hat on. Yes, it's frivolous, but they are fun to make. And it's raised £1.9 million for charity so far smile

I love yarn bombers! When I visit the family up in Saltburn I really look forward to seeing what's adorning the pier this time. There are some real talents out there and it's inspiring to see what they come up with.

Which reminds me, I've come up with nothing for this competition and it's the last day. I'd better get out of bed off the internet and frame myself.

Grannyknot Mon 30-Jan-17 22:26:06

jalima the hats are knitted for fun. Anything else is a bonus.

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 20:05:26

and very good marketing by Innocent of course.

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 20:04:12

Fancy knitting some little hats to support innocent and Age UK's The Big Knit to help keep older people warm this winter?
Can anyone tell me what the hats are for? Can they be used as finger puppets afterwards? They certainly won't fit the heads of older people to keep them warm.
Are they sold with Easter eggs in afterwards?

Sorry, but I am really confused and don't get it at all.
I can't stand yarn bombing either - all that wasted yarn that could be used to knit clothes for refugee babies.
Or people sleeping on the streets as nelliemoser suggests?

Although I am very impressed by the hats everyone has knitted on here, they are cute.

Molly10 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:58:20

Wow, what a clever and prolific lot you are. I'm not that clever but here is my innocent cable pom pom contribution. I have to say I have never seen any of these in the supermarkets near me or advertised in online stores. Is this knit thing particular to certain areas?

Samie Mon 30-Jan-17 16:58:07

Just to let you know that our Innocent hat collection at Age UK Somerset has been extended to JULY 2017 - so if you wish to join in there is now plenty of time

Further information from the www.ageuk.org.uk/somerset/news-campaigns/the-biggest-big-knit/

Thankyou

Grannyknot Sun 29-Jan-17 16:26:04

[drumroll] smile very cute!

Gamebird Sun 29-Jan-17 15:40:00

Ok, drumroll please ......
I'm not an experienced knitter. This Kitty is my very best effort.

Grannyknot Sun 29-Jan-17 08:51:52

shock compared to that, mine are blush smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 28-Jan-17 11:47:35

Somebody has made this one! I am in awe shock

I thought I was being exceptionally clever when I branched out into stripes!

Maggiemaybe Sat 28-Jan-17 11:30:15

Blimey, there are hundreds! Whether I can do justice to any of those wonderful creations is a whole different matter grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 28-Jan-17 11:22:09

Oh Lord, I've just remembered this - off to search t'interweb for a pattern for a stunning little hat that even a complete klutz can knit... It'll have to be in pink, green and white as these are the only colours I have left. Ah well, it is raining outside, so today's as good a day as any smile

Grannyknot Wed 18-Jan-17 16:51:12

Gosh that's a lot of hat! But I agree sjwfrance it doesn't take long to knit one at all (unless you fiddle like I do) and I agree +++ with all that you say about knitting, I bet previous generations of women knew the benefits of "craft" and "needlework" to soothe them.

I must upload the pic that my friend sent me - he buys up Innocent bottles so that his miniature teddy bears have hats grin

sjwfrance Wed 18-Jan-17 10:59:16

Just love this initiative and it's all for a very good cause! More than that having just gone through a nasty bout of depression - knitting has kept me grounded, ensured some 'me time' and given me a purpose ... I think I'm on number three hundred and seventy-something at the moment .. and still going strong. Great way to use up bits and bobs of spare wool and buttons, ribbons, etc, and I can rattle one out now in about 30/40 minutes!

Maggiemaybe Tue 17-Jan-17 15:24:07

I'm sure they will be, omaj. The campaign's being running successfully for a few years now.