Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knit a hat for this year’s innocent and Age UK Big Knit campaign. Best hat wins a prize!

(55 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 02-Dec-16 16:57:08

Calling all crafty gransnetters.

Fancy knitting some little hats to support innocent and Age UK's The Big Knit to help keep older people warm this winter? For every hat-wearing bottle sold, 25p is donated to Age UK. There are plenty of patterns to inspire you (from the very easy to the challenging) but you're very welcome to devise your own creation too.

Once you've finished your hat (though don't feel you have to stop at one!) take a photo and upload it to this thread.

On January 31st we'll select the best five and put them to a Gransnet vote where the winner will receive a bundle of books to the value of £80 as well as a stash of delicious innocent Smoothies.

Usual T&Cs apply

granoffour Fri 02-Dec-16 17:17:35

Oh, this sounds like a good challenge! I'll be back with my creation. Might start with the bobble hat first and see how I go...

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Dec-16 17:52:43

Oh heck, I've been knitting lots of these while watching all the great drama on TV recently, but sadly I'm no expert - I have about 80 beginner hats in a bag ready to drop off at Age UK, and I've got a feeling some of them might fail the quality control. I'm a dab hand at the dropped stitch blush

I actually felt very proud when I managed my first stripey bobble hat! But I like a challenge too, and will have a go at something a bit more advanced.

One thing though, GNHQ. Don't they all have to be handed in before Christmas? confused

Grannyknot Sat 03-Dec-16 07:29:25

Fun! But I have a pile of commissions to get through before Christmas! hmm

Maggie I think we can do with our hats as we wish, it's the photo that will be judged in January. But I'm sure someone from HQ will clarify soon. smile

Grannyknot Sat 03-Dec-16 07:30:39

80 hats! We need an "impressed" emoticon.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Dec-16 13:07:45

Thanks, Grannyknot, but my poor efforts really don't deserve one! grin

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 06-Dec-16 08:45:28

Morning all! The hats need to be sent through to innocent by 31st January 2017 if you'd like to send them (date and address is on the website too) smile

Nelliemoser Tue 06-Dec-16 09:33:14

Why waste money to knit small novelty hats to promote a smoothie making company.
If you a going to knit make something useful. Why not adult hats or scarfs for rough sleepers etc.

Grannyknot Tue 06-Dec-16 12:12:53

nellie because it's a fast, fun activity and it does contribute to a charity.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of fun smile

carerof123 Tue 06-Dec-16 12:48:12

Nelliemoser i must admit i thought the same thing!!!

I suppose they may sell more of these little hats whereas larger items may sit on the shelf longer?

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Dec-16 15:20:18

Thanks, Grannyknot, I'll continue to enjoy making my small contribution. I'm a bit past being told what to do!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Jan-17 17:15:37

Anyone want to post a photo of your efforts and win the prize? It'll be you against...er...you at this stage grin You have till the end of the month...

Grannyknot Fri 06-Jan-17 16:51:40

Mine's a-comin' wink smile

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Jan-17 23:43:17

You go first, Grannyknot!

Grannyknot Sun 08-Jan-17 22:22:43

Here ýou go - took forever!

Gransnet Ted.

Maggiemaybe Mon 09-Jan-17 09:42:15

He's cute, Grannyknot! I guess I need to dig out my needles again now. They've been sitting idle since I fed those 80 hats one by one through Age UK's letterbox (it was the last day of the campaign and the shop was shut)grin

Grannyknot Mon 09-Jan-17 09:54:15

smile

Grannyknot Mon 09-Jan-17 09:57:03

I will have to make some more too and stash them for the next drive. I'm clearly confused grin

Maggiemaybe Mon 09-Jan-17 10:06:23

No, you can still post Ted in for this campaign smile. Sorry, I'm confusing the issue. The Innocent deadline is the end of the month as Lara says, but my local Age UK were collecting them to send on, if you got them in before Christmas.

Grannyknot Mon 09-Jan-17 12:04:46

Got it, thanks.

Grannyknot Tue 10-Jan-17 21:19:32

Sleeping tabby cat hat.

Be gentle! Completely freestyled (no pattern).

Faces are so hard to get right!

Now I must get back to my little grandson's cardi ...

Auntieflo Tue 10-Jan-17 22:13:13

Grannyknot, he's lovely, clever girl that you are. ?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Jan-17 10:10:43

Those are lovely GrannyKnot!
You can still send them in to Age UK till the end of the month. The address is here: www.ageuk.org.uk/get-involved/events-and-challenges/the-big-knit/

Grannyknot Thu 12-Jan-17 15:11:29

Thanks smile

My geeky ex-colleague collects miniature teddy bears and he was telling me that he buys/collects Innocent smoothies for the hats, for his teddies grin. He says he us always on the lookout for different ones.

Grannyknot Thu 12-Jan-17 15:11:43

Is not us.