Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

4-needle sock pattern?

(31 Posts)
Marelli Tue 31-Jan-17 12:39:23

Does anyone know where I can get a women's sock pattern to knit on 4 needles, please?

Jalima Wed 01-Feb-17 09:54:39

Thankyou Gk

I thought I had pulled it tight but not enough obviously.
It was a practice one, usually I do a seam up the back of the hat, it was for charity so has been posted off.
I will try again or perhaps have a go at socks next time!

cascats Wed 01-Feb-17 10:38:18

Jalima, I had the same problem at first when knitting on 3/4 needles. Now as I go round, when it is time to move onto the next needle I knit the first stitch from that onto the full needle I have just finished. That way you are always changing the start and end stitches of each needle so making it like circular needle knitting.
Hope that makes sense!

Welshwife Wed 01-Feb-17 11:05:39

I can see how that would get rid of the problem Jalima describes but would make difficulties with socks as you need the heel and toes etc to be straight and in line. Funny enough I do not find that going onto the next needle causing a problem.

cascats Wed 01-Feb-17 13:01:13

To date have only knitted 3 pairs of socks so still have a lot to learn?. The pattern I used put markers in for two sides of heel and of course I had the normal marker for showing the start/end of row. Not tried a heel turn yet but its on the list !?

Jalima Wed 01-Feb-17 15:21:58

I have not managed to knit anything circular on a circular needle either! Although my circular needles are very long, I think I need shorter ones for small hats.
Although I did do the fronts and neck of the cardigans they were, of course, open ended at the bottom so I just went to and fro.

Thanks cascats I could try that on a hat.
I really have to get to grips with some more advanced stuff!
This morning I sorted all my yarn, that was enjoyable. But no actual knitting.