Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting technique

(5 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 01-Apr-17 14:56:54

A fellow member of my knitting group was using an old pattern and making a V neck sweater for herself. She was using a size 10 needle and another very much thicker needle. The pattern was simply K1 P1 and the needles used alternately were giving it the texture.
You learn something new every day as I've never seen this done before. Has anyone ever done this, and could a normal pattern be adapted to this stitch?

Anniebach Sat 01-Apr-17 15:06:35

Yes, do a tension square , but casting off could be a problem, cast off your tension square to see if it's too tight or too loopy.

Grannyknot Sat 01-Apr-17 15:35:05

This sounds like a great idea. I love it when people "freestyle" with knitting. Re the casting off, I would do the final row before casting off with both needles if the same gauge (the thinner one), thereby avoiding cast off problems.

Grannyknot Sat 01-Apr-17 15:35:28

Of not if

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-17 20:30:56

I have a shawl I knitted many years done similarly on two different sized knitting needles. The stitch was a bit more complicated than straight K1 P1. I seem to remember it was called blackberry stitch, and because of the uneven and large size of the needles, it came out loopy and lacy. I still have the pattern for it.