Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Maths concepts explained in knitting and crochet

(7 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 23-May-17 19:05:34

I thought other crafty Gransnetters might appreciate this (link below). I have always said to my family when I'm knitting a tricky pattern "Quiet please I'm doing maths". (I was crap at maths at school, got left behind in class).

mentalfloss.com/article/86016/6-math-concepts-explained-knitting-and-crochet

Swanny Wed 24-May-17 09:11:52

Grannyknot there's things in the article I've never heard of, let alone wondered how they're formed or what they explain grin Thanks all the same but I've decided I don't need to chuck something out of my memory bank in order to make room for maths concepts grin

yggdrasil Wed 24-May-17 11:59:12

Oh I'd love to see the patterns for those. I think I could knit a Mobius strip, but the Lorenz one .....

wildswan16 Wed 24-May-17 12:59:33

Isn't it amazing what people come up with ! I would love to be able to produce the Lorenzo manifold one. I am a great believer that maths is better taught by using everyday things and practices.

Anniebach Wed 24-May-17 15:04:51

So how come even though I use to design,make and sell,knitwear I failed O level maths , feel quite cross now ?

FarNorth Wed 24-May-17 16:17:04

Very interesting, although I have no idea what most of it means!

thatbags Wed 24-May-17 19:07:25

When I was doing my maths teaching PGCE we all had to do an assignment on maths in everyday life, or in subjects where non-mathematicians might not expect to find it. Mine was on the mathematics of Scottish dancing.

So, yeah, the maths of knitting and crochet, absolutely! smile