Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Seeking a new hobby

(65 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 16-Jun-17 09:03:57

Have to stop cross stitching, I am lost. Arthritis in hands.

Cannot crochet , have tried many times . Holding pens difficult.

I have to rest for long periods and am so bored.

Any suggestions welcome

Chewbacca Sat 17-Jun-17 10:53:32

What is it about crochet that some people can just pick it up and are soon making amazing things, and then there are others, like me, who no matter how many times they are shown, just can't get the hang of it? I can knit like a good 'un, sew, cross stitch, embroidery but I cannot crochet. blush

Silversands Sat 17-Jun-17 11:08:49

Dear Anniebach,
I am sure you have many wonderful stories to tell future generations about life in the Valleys. In this day and age you don`t have to be able to spell, that`s why `Spell-check` on your PC or Laptop is so very useful. Start by putting down the old stories your grandmother told you and soon your stories will be flowing like water from a tap!

annodomini Sat 17-Jun-17 11:12:57

The owner of a craft shop here runs courses on various crafts. I have just finished the crochet one, and, although I can understand the various stitches, accomplishing a 'granny square' proved too great a challenge. I was all thumbs! I think following a pattern, which I can do with ease when I knit, may also prove too much for my thick skull. I'm not much good at embroidery either despite the best efforts of my GM, who embroidered into later life,even with an arthritic thumb, to inculcate a skill with needle and thread in this stubborn head.

Genevieve489 Sat 17-Jun-17 11:49:23

Thank you Jamila1108 for your post. I, too, have arthritic hands and am finding it difficult to knit or crochet. I thought I would try watercolour painting and, after reading your post, I've ordered the Ron Ranson book and can't wait to have a go!

Mardler123 Sat 17-Jun-17 12:00:49

I had to give up quilting due to arthritis Anniebach, but started knitting just to keep my hands moving as I had been told to do. I now knit small items for charities. Knit for Peace mainly. Like you I could never master crochet. There may be a group near you, or classes if you don't knit. Good luck.

Lewlew Sat 17-Jun-17 12:27:10

Anniebach Oh I feel badly for you. You contribute so much to Gransnet and I look forward to your posts.

I have had trouble in the past with hands...I have a wee 'bump' right at my index/middle finger knuckle area and if I grip stuff too hard, I have nerve pain in the index finger for days. Ugh.

How about quilting? Do you have a sewing machine? If so you can cut and then stitch by machine. I have even seen some that use fabric glue. Quilts can be small, eg for cots, or as a wall hanging, eg a scene quilt that uses large pieces vs small squares or triangles.

This site looks interesting. I have not tried quilting yet on my own, but helped a friend stitch squares many years ago, but it's on my list. I kept my late dad's ties from work (he must have had over 100) in hopes of getting them into a quilt, but did not get the chance so gave them to my friend and she made a stunning quilt from them.

www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/10/quilt-patterns-for-beginners/

Yes, the Welsh have the lovely gift of the gab... and I can listen to a voice from the valleys all day. My DH is from S Pembs and been away so long his accent is gone. And the music! Are there any women's choirs in your area?

Musicelf Sat 17-Jun-17 12:57:01

I'm another one with arthritic hands, and can no longer knit. I am (was!) a pianist, and sadly I can't play any longer, at least not as I'd like to play. The pain is too bad. Embroidery and tapestry are also no longer possible as I can't grip a needle.

Genealogy and reading are my two hobbies, and I also write. Thank goodness for keyboards! I love researching topics too - I keep learning! Languages are another option. There's a lot you can learn online.

Anniebach Sat 17-Jun-17 12:58:44

So many suggestions I want to try so many , at this rate I will be too busy to visit Gransnet smile and thank you for such kind comments,

Lewlew, I think the fact the Welsh talk so much is linked to a passion for poetry and chapel! from a very young age and singing. Yes we have a women's choir in our town, and a male voice choir, and a Church choir, and a High school choir plus three junior school choirs , plus several orchestras , oh gosh , I'm off again

Musicelf Sat 17-Jun-17 13:19:27

Anniebach, I'm a Welsh ex-pat, ex-music teacher and ran several choirs, which I absolutely loved! No-one loves their singing more than the Welsh. grin

Lewlew Sat 17-Jun-17 13:39:45

Ack... but just because you are Welsh you can't sing. My DH can't carry a tune in a bucket!

When we go to events, like the Mass Choirs at Royal Albert Hall (every other year or so) I sign the anthem-- as almost everyone around me is and I'd feel odd. Having been raised Catholic during its Latin heyday, I can sing Land of Our Fathers phonetically grin

Marianne1953 Sat 17-Jun-17 14:23:28

I'm thinking of joining a Rock Choir.

MawBroon Sat 17-Jun-17 14:36:16

I like grandmattie's suggestion, anniebach
So many "characters" the like of which we no longer see today and anecdotes about Wales in your early days. You were at Aberfan, I think you said, well maybe that is too painful to use in your memoirs, but I bet your eccentric great aunt can provide you with material, and the minister.
I wish wholeheartedly that I had a written version of some of the tales my dad told me about people he had met, from shepherds far up the Ettrick and Yarrow valleys to the Archbishop of York whom he took to be the gardener and with whom he had a spirited conversation on roses!
Alas he "never thought anybody would be interested" and I, being young, forgot most of them.
You could always dictate if you find writing tiring.
This would be so interesting for the next generation (and might make you a bob or two!!)

mimiro Sat 17-Jun-17 14:42:46

suggestion for arthritic hands(and feet)
large pot of water; boil
add:2 tablespoons fresh or dried grated ginger root(the stuff you cook with most produce places have it),cover and simmer for 15 minutes,let sit for 15 when temperature is one you can stand sink your hands into it and let soak for 15 min.
have arthritus all thru body.
was given this recipe years ago.
wont get into science of it but works great.
i have basin for feet to soak in also. add this to tub full of hot water and soak whole body.
leaves you a bit slippery but is worth it. just shower off after..for something like a knee or elbow saturate cloth in liquid and wrap the hurt bits.

other option for pain is eatting and soaking in capsicum
it is the active ingrediant in most hot chile peppers.
i crush peppers for salsa and mix it with my hands ,my hands dont hurt for weeks.
it is the ingredient in most topical pain killers you get for backache sprains etc.
as a career seamstress early onset arth. was terrifying. these saved my career
hope you feel better soon.and can get on with hobby

Anniebach Sat 17-Jun-17 15:23:12

Musicelf, Lewlew, you will like this - my grandson use to watch the Six Nations matches with me, my daughter said I hope Wales wins, he said - so do I , or Grannie will sing Myfanwy grin

Go for it Marrianne ?
MawBroon, yes Aberfan born and bred and at the disaster , realised my future g grandchildren will only hear of Welsh mining as history and perhaps see a film as awful as 'How Green Was My Valley' they will not know the closeness of the people.

mimiro, I will certaintly use that remedy

paddyann Sat 17-Jun-17 16:27:00

what about photography ,cameras can be small and compact nowadays and you could photgraph landscapes and places of interest for your book on Wales in the mining years

Hm999 Sat 17-Jun-17 20:15:33

As a teacher, stuff that 'not educated enough', use hobbies to feel more educated if necessary. A lot of craft places do postal stuff, or Amazon. Use websites to decide what you want and ring them, talk to them, you'll be amazed helpful/supportive indy shops can be.

My hands have never brilliant (gripping issues), and the back of the older me can't cope with sitting in same position for longer than an hour, so it's knitting, crochet etc in small doses. Small wool objects. Granny squares. Bootees for local prem babies

Or teach! Start a craft group in your village. Or start a book club. A friend of 50 years standing told she started playing bridge a few years ago.

willa45 Sun 18-Jun-17 01:05:04

Have you heard of "Scrapbooking"? it's a popular hobby here in the US. People spend a lot of time building scrapbooks for friends and loved ones to commemorate birthdays, graduations, anniversaries etc. People add old photographs and memorabilia such as invitations, greeting cards, theater tickets, buttons and even scraps from baby clothes, etc. The pages and the book itself are embellished and decorated in all manner of creative ways. Someone I know likes poetry and she adds her own poems to her scrapbooks. Another friend of mine likes to illustrate the pages with her own artwork. It can be lots of fun!

joannewton46 Sun 18-Jun-17 02:36:02

Silk painting. You can use broad brushes to spread the paint on wet silk and get beautiful results every time, and all completely original. The colours merge and spread on their own and you can get different effects very easily eg by adding salt to "draw" the colour.
It also solves the problem of what to give someone as a gift, a silk scarf is always welcome whatever the age of the recipient!

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 11:45:18

Thank you for your suggestions, I have always taken loads of photographs , lovely hobby, not good with paints though

loopyloo Sun 18-Jun-17 17:51:09

Are the copper gloves any help? I have seen them online.

craftergran Sat 15-Jul-17 10:08:54

How about weaving? Also genealogy. I am about to try silk screen printing, I also tie dye.

Miep1 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:14:03

Jamila, how do you paint with a hake? Does it not start to smell after a while?

Jalima1108 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:27:34

grin

you have to fish for a fresh one every day Miep1

Ilovecheese Sat 15-Jul-17 11:40:35

If you would like to try decopatch, could you tear the paper pieces if you can't use scissors.

overthehill Sun 16-Jul-17 09:53:26

I've recently taken up adult colouring.

Started with free book but have gone on to buy better book with thicker pages and have bought expensive colouring pencils....you don't have to of course and my son treated me to a set of fine nibbed pens which i use for outlining.

Here's a couple I've done