Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Seeking a new hobby

(65 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 16-Jun-17 09:03:57

Have to stop cross stitching, I am lost. Arthritis in hands.

Cannot crochet , have tried many times . Holding pens difficult.

I have to rest for long periods and am so bored.

Any suggestions welcome

overthehill Sun 16-Jul-17 09:59:00

Re. my post above on colouring in

oops didn't read your post thoroughly, see NOW you have trouble holding a pen. Thought initially you just wanted ideas....sorry.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 10:06:50

I will find something , how kind you all are X

silverlining48 Sun 16-Jul-17 10:45:42

I have just started felting. you can get a holder to make using the needles easier to handle. There are lots of different things to make. My friend makes fantastic stuff. my first project was a small robin at Christmas and my next will be a penguin. I am obviously on the first level and have a long way to go but i did enjoy it. It is ery therapeutic.
Look online or pinterest. Good luck.

Katek Sun 16-Jul-17 13:58:08

I'm so sorry to hear that you can't cross stitch anymore Annie, I do know how much you enjoyed it. I've just been onto my friend Mr Google (!) and there are loads of aids which could help you in another hobby. Special easy use scissors, a vast selection of pens/pencils with different grips-all sorts of things. Go spend a happy afternoon on Google and order some items that will help you. The scissors are a must I would think for many hobbies. Have you ever done long stitch? Can do these in wool with darning size needle if you could manage that, or what about tapestry on a floor standing frame so you're not having to hold your work? You would need a biggish picture to fit a floor frame, but that's all to the good as they tend to use wools and have a bigger weave therefore a bigger needle. I have to confess I have a disembodied cat's head on a floor frame which has been sitting for years-just haven't got round to doing the rest of it! I was also given a beautiful Kaffe Fassett cushion kit which is unopened.

I do hope you find a hobby that you can enjoy.

Katek Sun 16-Jul-17 14:03:10

Link to one site that sells easy use scissors

www.completecareshop.co.uk/therapeutic-aids/arts-and-crafts-materials/easi-grip-pointed-scissors-view-large?gclid=CJyn9oPujdUCFQngGwodi5sKmw

Anniebach Tue 18-Jul-17 09:55:26

Can no longer do tapestry , too painful pulling wool through canvas. Thank you so much for the link , ordered scissors and there are a few things I want to get X

giulia Sun 24-Sep-17 14:04:08

with further reference to Jigidi.com, Anniebach, it is a very friendly site and also very informative if you are interested. If you become a contributor, people will comment on your photos and ask questions. I really enjoy this site.

LapetEmb1244 Tue 29-May-18 16:19:46

Anniebach, if you're still looking for something I would suggest registering in our community and asking around. There sure may be some people that are in the same situation and would give some good advice. Other forums, communities may also work. More people more ideas. Good luck, angie. Our community is at: community.annthegran.com/

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 16:56:15

Thank you, I will , there must be something I can do

Anniebach Fri 01-Jun-18 09:05:20

Tried to crochet yesterday, couldn’t make a slip knot, tried for ages. Will have another go at it today.

Lisalou Sat 02-Jun-18 22:07:05

Anniebach, have you tried making rugs? My mother used to crochet a lot, but found that a combination of arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome (sp?) have made it impossible. So, she went back to making rugs (she had made quite a few of these some years back) and has just completed a set of three for her bedroom. If you have one of those stores like hobbycraft near by, I am sure they could point you in the right direction.
Good luck!

Anniebach Sat 02-Jun-18 22:14:50

I have made rugs in the past and loved it, but perhaps pulling on the latch tool would be as difficult as tugging a needle through tapestry canvas , but I will look on line, no craft shops here, and give it some thought . Thank you Lisa

crystaltipps Sun 03-Jun-18 05:29:27

Are you one of those people with boxes of old photos.? my brother made a fantastic scrapbook using grannies old photos and writing down stories about the lives of family members, weddings, births etc. It took him a year but the family love it.

CoolMom Sun 08-Jul-18 15:32:45

Catch the genealogy bug. I have learned so much about where I came from--amazing stories from people I would never have guessed I was descended from. I can spend at least a few hours at one sitting on the computer without getting bored or distracted. There are so many resources online to assist now too.

I also enjoy gardening--you can do as much or as little as your health permits--even a pot with several flowers or a tomato plant to care for is very enjoyable or a few indoor plants.