Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What material

(17 Posts)
petra Mon 31-Jul-17 22:36:21

I know what I want but I can't buy them. I want chinos with a narrow leg so I've decided to make them.
it's been many years since I made trousers but I can't have forgotten everything, can I grin
All I need now, is, what would you call the type of material chinos are made of.

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 22:49:53

Cotton? Linen?
You must be great at sewing, post a pic later?

Marydoll Mon 31-Jul-17 22:49:54

I too have been looking for chinos with a narrow leg. In my head, I can picture them but none in the shops ?

rosesarered Mon 31-Jul-17 22:50:33

Petra will make some for us all (hopeful emoji )

Elegran Mon 31-Jul-17 23:12:57

You could narrow the legs on bought chinos, Petra, if you have made trousers before. If you bought ones that fit you round your waist and your behind, you wouldn't have to do all that tiresome trying on and adjusting body seams. Just remember that you do the narrowing on the inside leg seam, not the outside one, and don't overdo it to the point where you can't get your foot down past.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 23:23:32

I thought the fabric was called 'chino' but I could be wrong.

I have narrowed the legs on bought trousers but never made a pair. If you have a pair of narrow trousers you could follow the leg width of those when cutting to make sure you cut the correct amount off.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 23:24:22

How narrow? I have some M&S chinos and they are narrow enough for me (but probably what other people would call straight!).

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 23:26:15

www.marksandspencer.com/belted-chinos/p/p22503190?image=SD_01_T57_6983U_F0_X_EC_90&color=NAVY&prevPage=srp

I know, I know - they're Marks and Spencer !
But they are very comfy.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 23:28:38

and ignore the first review, they are not creased and baggy at the knee, have been worn and washed for weeks now.

Nanabilly Tue 01-Aug-17 00:16:23

Have you looked in NEXT they have some narrow legged chinos. Also some fab looking cigarette pants with nice slim shaped legs .
Making your own could turn out to be more expensive depending on the fabric you use but good luck if you decide to do that . I have not made any trousers since I made my little sister a trouser suit in brown corduroy for a school exam

petra Tue 01-Aug-17 08:19:25

Roses
Thanks for putting the word out there, I won't charging but all contributions will be gratefully received grin
jalima
I too have the M&S ones but they are a little too wide for what I want. I should have taken them back but couldn't be arsed. Also, I don't want pockets.
Nanabilly
Thanks for the mention of Next.
I bought exactly what I wanted in Wallace the other day. But they are navy, beautiful fit.

Imperfect27 Tue 01-Aug-17 08:23:12

Must just be me then ... I went charity shopping yesterday and ALL the chinos were 'skinny-legged. No good for my curves! grin

Lclaytonuk555 Tue 01-Aug-17 10:44:21

Hi Petra, if you do a search online for a sewing pattern for chinos it will tell you the type of fabric to use on the back. Never tried making trousers - I have just got back into sewing after a break of about 30 years and loving it!

Hope you find the fabric you like.

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 11:23:49

I've made several pairs of trousers lately, but not the chino type. They seem to be of a dense but soft 100% cotton.
? Cotton twill? Do some research on Google.
I have a pattern for pants which flare out at the base. I made some from cotton needlecord, for winter, and some from from viscose for the summer.

shysal Tue 01-Aug-17 11:24:18

Something in the back of my mind tells me that the fabric is glazed cotton, but I might be wrong

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 11:32:40

ps as someone mentioned above linen would be good too, but it creases quickly.

TriciaF Tue 01-Aug-17 12:16:50

pps at the back of my mind I had 'ramie' fabric. I thought it was synthetic, but no, it's made from a kind of nettle:
www.swicofil.com/products/007ramie.html
A pair of chinos that husband had were made of ramie.