Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Rock painting

(39 Posts)
Telly Tue 07-Nov-17 17:49:52

Our village is into rock painting which I think has been mentioned here before. Seems everyone is doing it, children are having a go and the adults too. You then hide them so its a bit of a treasure hunt. Came over from America. Have to say I have become a tiny bit obsessed. I do paint watercolour but am using acrylics for the rocks. They seem to get a bit special once they are sprayed with a varnish. I am using You tube for some inspiration, but with adaptations. There are some that I can't quite bear to give away! Any one else hooked?

DameJudyClench Tue 07-Nov-17 18:29:16

I've never tried rock painting Telly

I do live near a pebbly beach, so no lack of material grin

Greyduster Tue 07-Nov-17 18:39:24

I’ve done a few, as I think I said on another thread, always using acrylics. I picked up a few pebbles when we were on holiday in Wales this year with the intention of getting my GS started on them but haven’t got round to it yet! The last ones I did were on chalk pebbles and that was a mistake, as, although the white chalk will give you a good ‘canvas’, eventually, they will flake and take the paint with them.

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:19:27

We used to do this years ago with the DC, great fun
I picked up some pebbles from a beach recently only to be told I shouldn't have done that blush

Tegan2 Tue 07-Nov-17 22:55:56

This is my version of it; having grown tired of killing off plants in my garden, I've been painting Scottish cobbles in several Annie Sloan colours and putting them in flowerpots in the garden....[not artistic enough to draw pictures on them]

Jalima1108 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:09:20

Presumably you managed to paint the snail before she moved!

Tegan2 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:50:53

grin!

Telly Wed 08-Nov-17 09:04:06

I dont't think you are supposed to take stones from the beach. I usually pick up ones from the side of the road, my own garden, or you can get bags in the garden centre. Although I do wonder where they get those from? There is something called The Kindness Rock Project which has a web page, sort of inspirational messages, but I don't think that's very British! I prefer to paint and I'm quite pleased if someone likes them enough to keep. I have bought a set from a shop (The Range) for my GD for her birthday. My GS also painted some half term and he does not really do anything crafty.

Greyduster Wed 08-Nov-17 09:26:42

I expect someone somewhere has done a study of the effect of people like me picking up one hand-sized pebble and putting it in their pocket during a walk on a beach and come up with some doomsday scenario of eroded coastline (I expect someone will be along to tell me shortly grin). I once watched a couple on a beach in West Wales fill a plastic crate with sizeable cobbles and put them in the boot of their car. I didn’t see anyone chasing them down the road yelling put them back. I expect they either wanted them for their garden or had a business supplying decorative doorstops to sell in all the gift shops we see in seaside towns. Okay, I’m having a jaundiced morning - ignore me.

annsixty Wed 08-Nov-17 09:36:10

There is a rock painting "thing " going on in some of our local parks, one of which is just yards from me.
People are painting pebbles/rocks and hiding them, I think the idea is to photograph them and leave them ,rather like geo-caching. I only know a little having read about it in the local press.
I think it is a nice idea.

ninathenana Wed 08-Nov-17 09:49:22

This is a big thing in D's area and it has it's own FB page. They request you photo your find and post on the page then place the pebble somewhere else for the next person to find. Though it seems several people have kept them.
It is against the rules (illegal ?) to take large quantities of pebbles from the beach.

trisher Wed 08-Nov-17 10:11:18

My mum's sheltered housing residents and my DGD's nursery were both doing this this summer. Not sure where they collected the stones. I'm just intrigued that it appeals such a wide age range-3-83years!

Tegan2 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:59:45

Just been on R6 that taking stones [and sand!] from a beach has been illegal since @ 2013 blush. Phew; good job we went fossil hunting at Lyme Regis a long long time before that blush...got to feel sorry for the company that makes/sells these [authorities please note; it's EMPTY]

annsixty Wed 08-Nov-17 17:24:00

I remember many years ago buying fancy containers of different coloured sand from somewhere on the Isle of Wight. I can't remember the name.

ninathenana Wed 08-Nov-17 17:28:02

Alum Bay ann

Applesby Wed 08-Nov-17 22:46:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Wed 08-Nov-17 23:04:24

Reported.

CelticRose Sun 31-Dec-17 17:50:45

I bought one of these rock paintings when on holiday in Spain nearly 25 years ago. Colour picture on large grey rock depicts a typical Med window balcony surrounded by bougainvillea. No idea what medium was used - colour is still as good as it was when first purchased. Still standing on my kitchen window sill, too.

farview Mon 22-Jan-18 19:41:38

All my granddaughter's enjoy painting rocks,me too?huge bag from the garden centre for about a fiver! But truthfully do take the odd one from Fleetwood beach ...millions there!!!

etheltbags1 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:47:54

I got some from a neighbour but i got some from local beach. I only take a couple and a few shells. I love to paint rocks. I found one in the local park with medsage about love and peace. We sell them at the church. Dgd loves them and gave her mam one saying I love you. For mothers day

bikergran Tue 23-Jan-18 09:00:55

farview Fleetwood beach lol yes lots there....I'm about an hour away from there, are you nearby?..
Hoping to take young GS there when weather warms up a bit. Fond memories of taking late DH there to sit on the front in the car looking out to sea..

farview Fri 26-Jan-18 06:57:37

Hi bikergranabout an hour away too.Bolton,used to do that with my dad,take him there to sit in the car,he loved it,our GC'do also,we spend time their in summer with a fish&chip picnic,?

henetha Fri 26-Jan-18 11:06:23

Rock painting was big back in the 1970's. A friend of mine was a good artist and managed to sell quite a few in her shop.
I'm glad it's popular again as it's something anyone can have a go at.

BBbevan Fri 26-Jan-18 15:40:05

It is illegal to take pebbles from a beach. If seen prosecution can follow. Just take care

HillyN Fri 26-Jan-18 17:00:53

It was a craze here last summer/autumn, called 'Bristol Rocks'. My DGD was into it, having painted pebbles at Rainbows. Whenever we walk anywhere together she is still on the lookout for painted stones and still has some she found.