Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can I stop faux fur fabric shedding?

(35 Posts)
teabagwoman Sun 26-Nov-17 17:33:27

I’m hoping that one of you lovely people can help this newbie to the world of crafting. My granddaughter needs a sheep costume for the village nativity. I’ve used Emma Hardy’s very simple pattern successfully but the fabric is shedding everywhere. Is there any way to stop this? For once Google has been unhelpful. With thanks in advance.

silversurf Sun 26-Nov-17 19:34:33

Don’t know if this will help, but I bought a glittery top recently and shop assistant told me to spray it lightly with hair lacquer. May help with your problem.

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Nov-17 22:34:56

What exactly is the fabric you are using made of. ?

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Nov-17 23:02:21

Is it just where it has been cut?

Otherwise, give it a gentle brush first, then perhaps use the hair lacquer.

Any suggestions for a (female) shepherd? I think they would wear a sheepskin for warmth but apparently they were a hardy lot in Judea in those days!

teabagwoman Mon 27-Nov-17 15:46:30

That’s a good question Nelliemoser, I didn’t think to make a note when I bought it. That’s a lesson learnt. It’s mostly from the cut edges Jalima1108. Good luck with your female shepherd. I’ve been looking at other nativity costumes as my dgd is in one at nursery too. They’ve told us they will let us know what costumes are needed nearer the time which strikes fear in my heart as I’m not one of those people who can run something up in an afternoon. Mumsnet have some simple nativity costumes using pillowcases to make a simple tunic with the minimum of sewing that can be adapted for the various characters. Just hope they don’t want her to be a donkey or a camel!

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 16:48:05

Thanks!

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 16:48:56

I think, if I am called upon, I'll stick to a long stripey waistcoat not a sheepskin one!

Nelliemoser Mon 27-Nov-17 22:58:44

Have you hemmed or bound the edges with bias binding?

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 23:25:06

I think once it stops shedding where it has been cut it should be OK.

Although sheep do tend to leave their wool all around the place, fences etc!

teabagwoman Tue 28-Nov-17 21:18:47

Am going to try giving the cut edges a gentle brush and see if that gets rid of the loose fibres and stops the shedding. If not I will have to try bias binding. Thanks for your help. I’m definitely on a learning curve.

Hermia46 Wed 29-Nov-17 09:44:26

Can I just caution against using hair lacquer on a child's costume. It is highly flammable, so please perhaps try other methods first.

Rolande Wed 29-Nov-17 10:03:03

I was just about to say the same thing as Hermia46. Should be careful using hair spray on clothing. I would just brush it.
Have fun!

Sennelier1 Wed 29-Nov-17 10:05:59

I've used faux-fur to make a blanket. It was only shedding during the making. I lined my blanket with a muslin kind of fabric. If you don't plan to put in a lining, try and put on bias binding, or - for a rougher finishing - you could stitch over the cut edges on the inside, maybe a large zigzag.

IngeJones Wed 29-Nov-17 10:17:33

Seconding what Hermia46 said - careful of fire risk. In fact unless the fabric was sold specifically as flame resistant, be very sure that your granddaughter will not be anywhere there could be a naked flame or an electric fire with bars, candles etc.

toscalily Wed 29-Nov-17 10:51:04

I remember reading somewhere that spray starch might help, stiffens the hairs slightly and it would be much safer than using hairspray.
www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Laundry/Dylon_Spray_Starch_300ml.html

Jan51 Wed 29-Nov-17 11:26:26

You can buy a liquid to stop edges fraying. I think it's called something like liquid selvedge. Copydex would probably work just as well.

marionk Wed 29-Nov-17 11:51:05

Could you gently tumble dry it? This seems to release untold amounts of fluff on most things so should get the loose stuff off - just remember to empty the filters afterwards!

newnanny Wed 29-Nov-17 12:10:47

You made me chuckle marionk. That is so true.

GrannyJan9 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:22:31

My GD (7+) is also a shepherd ( or rather shepherd~ess) and is wearing white shirt, white leggings and a coloured tea towel on her head. held in place with a hair band! if this helps..

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:53:17

Thanks, hope to see them later and wondering if DIL has come up with some solution that lets me off the hook grin

I will say that DGD is a 'shepherd'!!

marpau Wed 29-Nov-17 14:05:57

Try washing in fabric conditioner it's supposed to adhere to fibres and set them

grandMattie Wed 29-Nov-17 14:53:36

No help here - but when I saw the headline on my mail, i thought "shedding" was a new word, like "cottaging". Imagine my surprise when I realised the child was still in primary school!!! wink

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:17:33

Years ago I made a donkey's head by cutting out something that was basically the same shape as an oven mitt but large enough to slip round the child's head and tie at the back. (Double layer of cloth) The ears were triangular pieces of stiffened cloth. Rest of the donkey was a pair of tights with a tail attached and a jumper both greyish brown.

There are better ideas at www.ehow.com/how_10031223_howto-makeityourself-donkey-costumes.html

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-Nov-17 15:22:10

There is something called Burn Block which can be used on fabrics, Christmas trees, toys etc. etc. and it really does prevent them from catching fire.

I don't know if it is available in the UK though

quizqueen Wed 29-Nov-17 17:22:18

You can buy any sort of costume now at most supermarkets but all a shepherd really needs is one of granddad's stripey shirts with a bit of string tied round the middle, a tea towel for the head (more string), sandals and a walking stick for a crook. Maybe a loose waistcoat over the top if anyone has one.