Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Most unusual craft?

(58 Posts)
Chewbacca Mon 11-Dec-17 19:29:35

I've done a few different crafts over the years but always go back to knitting, quilting, paper craft and cross stitching. I enjoyed pottery painting and would like to do that again but the class was deemed to be too small to be viable. I've got a 2 day course in mosaics booked for January which I'm looking forward to.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Dec-17 19:26:28

I have just remembered that I made a 'rag' wreath - the Christmassy fabric was new though, not rags.

Antonia Mon 11-Dec-17 19:25:35

I do leatherwork which I sell on an American site, I love doing it.

Greyduster Mon 11-Dec-17 19:02:15

I made a rag rug last year - just a small one - using the same technique my mother and grandmother used to use. Cutting up the strips of old fabric is a bit of a pain, but the finished result was a free bedside rug for GS’s bedroom!

bella2 Mon 11-Dec-17 18:39:27

Needle felting I have never heard of so will look into that. I have never tried macrame, but it looks good. Origami I have tried but was rubbish at it!!

As for fishing flies - and fishing, yes, very satisfying to catch a fish - my DH used to go fishing.

Greyduster Mon 11-Dec-17 18:14:31

I had a flirtation with macrame in the late seventies, and got to be quite good at making plant pot hangers. Origami also, which I still have a go at occasionally. About the only unusual thing I do now is tie my own fishing flies, but both my fine manual dexterity and my eyesight has gone down the tubes this year, and the small specimens defeat me time after time. When you tie a good one and catch a fish on it, it is a very satisfactory feeling.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:48:03

Needle felting seems to be increasingly popular - I did try it during a tutorial but I wasn't very good and didn't enjoy it that much.
However, some people make amazing things.

bella2 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:40:31

I was just wondering what is the most unusual craft that anyone does or has seen? Over the years I have tried several different crafts, with different mediums, but I always go back to crochet and have always done it alongside other crafts. But I like to try new ones, even if only once, cost permitting of course!