Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(146 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 07-Jan-18 13:50:12

I'm really enjoying knitting a wrap/shrug - it is basically a long, wide, scarf which is the crossed over at the front, and the two long edges are sewn together at the back for about 6 inches, forming the back and triangular armholes (if that makes sense). Here's the pattern showing the front smile:

www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/products/ladies-lace-wrap-knitting-pattern?variant=34903288586

It is a lacy pattern repeated over 12 rows and I am knitting it in a soft multi-coloured wool (not spangly as in the pattern). I have visions of it keeping me warm over a long sleeved t-shirt and under a jacket.

What are other knitters busy with?

Purpledaffodil Sun 07-Jan-18 19:46:30

What talented ladies you all are. My last project was a pramsuit for DS 1. Doesn’t fit too well now he’s 40?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 19:47:52

It will come back into fashion Maggiemaybe
The sweater I just finished had an offer on the yarn label which ended in 1988.
DH was astonished that I hadn't thrown it out! It was half knit - why would I throw it out?

Chewbacca Sun 07-Jan-18 20:02:06

I'm still on the cardigan for DGD that I started in November. I thought it was finished until I came to sew it together. That's when I found I'd done 2 left fronts. Grrrr!

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 20:07:36

This sweater I am now finishing was started for DD when she was in the 6th form, she's now in her forties Purpledaffodil grin

LadyGracie Sun 07-Jan-18 20:50:19

A sweet little jumper for my one year old GD and and an Aran for myself

Bathsheba Sun 07-Jan-18 20:56:50

I'm halfway through a pink lacy jumper for one of my GD's dolls. It's been on the needles since mid November - you would think the doll would be wearing it by now, wouldn't you? Something I would have run up in a couple of evenings in the past, but now with arthritic fingers, not to mention a wandering mojo which keeps going AWOL, I can't see it ever being finished!

etheltbags1 Sun 07-Jan-18 21:20:12

I've just started a bright pink scarf, I'm not that good at knitting and I bought 2 Wong balls in a sale so I don't
Know what else to make. It keeps my hand in. Wish I could do some of the lovely stuff on this thread.

etheltbags1 Sun 07-Jan-18 21:20:52

Hundred gram balls not Wong

Bubbe Sun 07-Jan-18 22:20:35

Grannyknot I just love this wrap. I keep looking at it and am resolved to have a go myself. I was about to start a waistcoat thing as my upper back feels the draughts ~ but this very pretty wrap will definitely do the trick. Just need to stop letting my thoughts wander while knitting. I've found that I seem to mess up with any pattern that has 5 or more lines of a repeat. But this pattern is so gorgeous I'm determined to give it a go. Thank you for sharing with us.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 23:21:00

I was wondering what make of yarn Wong is
grin
well, I've gone all wrong with this sweater from years ago, should I bother?
The DGC won't wear knitted garments any more and I don't like making large garments so perhaps I will try that wrap.

Grannyknot Mon 08-Jan-18 08:11:45

Bubbe the pattern is a bit fiddly and you do need to concentrate. But it helps as you go along because you can "see" the pattern in the finished work, as well as reading it.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the pattern so you can have a look wink

Grannyknot Mon 08-Jan-18 08:17:37

BBevan I love the sound of your wreath with hellebores. Please post a photograph of a completed one, I'd like to buy one!

Bubbe Mon 08-Jan-18 10:21:37

Thank you Grannyknot. Have PM'd

Lindylo Mon 08-Jan-18 10:43:22

Half way through a jumper for me. Done the back and almost finished the front - sleeves to do.
Can't work out which order is the best to knit in. I do back front(s) and sleeves usually. Does anyone else knit garments differently?

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 11:24:45

I usually knit back, sleeves then front(s)

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 11:25:48

I think whichever suits you best, I tended to knit a lot of cardigans for the DGD (they don't want them any more sad) so the largest pieces first, back and sleeves then the fronts.

OurKid1 Mon 08-Jan-18 16:05:18

Auntieflo You may be interested in this article - www.ruh.nhs.uk/media/media_releases/2017_10_24_Baby_bobble_hats.asp

If you're not near to Bath, maybe your local Maternity Unit does something similar.

Billybob4491 Mon 08-Jan-18 16:06:47

AuntieFlo, there is a website called Preemies UK, they distribute knitted garments to hospitals throughout the UK. They are currently desperate for prem. knitted hats. They also supply the patterns etc.,Also try Knit for Peace another website always in need of knitted goods which they distribute here and abroad.Hope that will be of help to you.

Nonnie Mon 08-Jan-18 17:06:49

Just assembling the last pair of Aran slippers, they are like ankle boots and very warm. Sorted out a pattern to start later tonight in some Kid Silk yarn by Rowan. I bought it to make a lovely sweater for DiL but either I have become very stupid or the pattern is wrong so, having had three goes, I have given up and am making a waist emphasising long sleeved sweater because she has such an amazing figure.

I am now finding lots of lovely free patterns online which is great because our lovely wool shop closed down and the other one only sells the ordinary yarns and patterns. I have an hour's drive to get anything more interesting.

EllieRose43 Mon 08-Jan-18 17:56:29

Trying to finish the cardigan I started last spring. Maybe it will be ready for next winter! I also have an Aran sweater on the needles which I started more years ago than I care to admit. I doubt I'll ever get that one finished.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:36:02

OurKid1 I know someone who has knitted a lot of those and she was asking for orange, red and green bits of yarn for the bobbles - it took us a couple of minutes to realise why (she didn't know why either).
It's a very good idea and a very worthy cause.

Niobe Mon 08-Jan-18 18:38:21

I must admit that I do the back first, then a sleeve and check I still have half the wool left! Have nightmares about getting to the last few inches and running out!

MargaretX Mon 08-Jan-18 18:53:40

I always knit the same thing. A long ribbed gilet which I wear in the house all through winter. I have knitted five altogether and it is my own pattern. The first two in navy and beige have already been discarded they were looking worn and shabby after wearing them in the kitchen for months. I possess one in grey-brown and one in sea green and have started another yesterday in black.
It takes me till summer. I would love to knit for the GDs but they don't want anything knitted by Grandma any more.

I knit socks and when I was operated on my ear and lying ready to be taken down to the theatre for the OP, I had the nurse put my knitted socks on as my feet were so cold. It was the last thing I heard before I went under, the doctor saying what a good idea it was.
As it was micro surgery in the ear and not dangerous regarding germs etc it was allowed and I was glad to wear them they were so comforting.

Grannyknot Mon 08-Jan-18 19:37:22

Margaret what a lovely knitting story re your socks.

Have you written your gilet pattern down by any chance? It sounds like exactly what I'm always looking for ... smile

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 20:02:23

I would love to knit for the GDs but they don't want anything knitted by Grandma any more
It's a sad day, isn't it, especially when you've knitted something which is supposed to be 'fashionable' and it is never seen again.

I haven't tried socks yet - they always look so difficult.