Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(146 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 07-Jan-18 13:50:12

I'm really enjoying knitting a wrap/shrug - it is basically a long, wide, scarf which is the crossed over at the front, and the two long edges are sewn together at the back for about 6 inches, forming the back and triangular armholes (if that makes sense). Here's the pattern showing the front smile:

www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/products/ladies-lace-wrap-knitting-pattern?variant=34903288586

It is a lacy pattern repeated over 12 rows and I am knitting it in a soft multi-coloured wool (not spangly as in the pattern). I have visions of it keeping me warm over a long sleeved t-shirt and under a jacket.

What are other knitters busy with?

goldengirl Fri 16-Mar-18 12:36:16

I'm currently into knitting beanie hats - and add a knitted flower to the finished item. It doesn't take long and - hey! my GD thinks they're 'cool'!!!

emily393 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:03:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

miamellor2 Tue 27-Feb-18 15:27:21

Hi everyone! I am running a survey to collect information on fabric buying patterns for my final year university project. If you have a spare 2 minutes, please could you fill in our questionnaire! Many thanks smile nbsnu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eUM42gi54rvKzuR

grandMattie Tue 20-Feb-18 12:08:19

Stopped knitting for the family as they never wear any of the lovingly made items - hats, gloves, cardies, etc. - have now got a few commissions. The owner of the local shop has decided I needed occupation!! Charge peanuts, but keep my hands occupied - otherwise I would be VAST. Am knitting DH a 4ply Vneck jumper.

acanthus Tue 20-Feb-18 11:47:29

I'm knitting a cardigan for myself as a break from knitting for the DGCs which I seem to have been doing for the past nine years. Enjoy it though, and my DDs are very good at sending photos if they are being worn. Also on my list is unpicking the bottom half of a sweater I knitted for my son-in-law some years ago; it's his favourite but has somehow become dress length. It's taking ages to unpick, with my intention of knitting back the ribbing to make a shorter length IYSWIM. Any tips on unpicking from the bottom up? It's taking an age, hence my putting it off!

Auntieflo Tue 20-Feb-18 09:29:56

Well, I finished up my stash of wool, and knitted 24 preemie hats. I sent them off last week, to "Preemie UK", and popped a note inside, just asking for an email to say they had arrived safely. To date I have heard nothing, so can only surmisethat they did. ?

Helenlouise3 Thu 01-Feb-18 22:03:00

Managed to finish a peppa pig jumper and a paw patrol cardi for my two youngest granddaughters in time for Christmas. Youngest granddaughtr fancied a set of woodland creature buttons, so I'm now knitting her a cardi to go with the buttons lol

Billybob4491 Wed 31-Jan-18 13:50:49

Auntie Flo I knit for RUH Bath, traffic light hats for preemies, the Hospital require 6,000 per year according to their latest e mail to me.

Jalima1108 Wed 31-Jan-18 12:45:16

The RUH Bath has a scheme whereby the amount of care a baby needs is indicated by the colour of the pom pom on the little hat - red, orange or green.
I think that if you can't make the pompoms someone will make them and sew them on any donated hats (so I've been told anyway).

Marelli Wed 31-Jan-18 09:43:01

I knit every day. I’ve knitted loads of socks over the last few months, using self-patterning yarn, which is so interesting to knit with as the colours drift in as you go along. Also done a few ‘shawlettes’, which are really no more than asymmetrical scarves, but which seem to lie more easily at the neck.
When I haven’t got a particular project, my ‘go to’ knitting is stuff for the Mission to Seafarers, who need lots of hats, scarves and gloves. Easy knitting while watching the telly!

Billybob4491 Wed 31-Jan-18 06:21:52

Coombe Park.

Billybob4491 Wed 31-Jan-18 06:21:11

AuntieFlo, the following address would be delighted to receive your donation of preemie hats.
Royal United Hospital
Maternity Ward
Coombe Par
Bath BA1 3NG

petra Tue 30-Jan-18 19:56:48

MOnica
Same here. I knit for the Seamans Mission.

Grannyknot Tue 30-Jan-18 19:40:11

Lovely knitting! Very inspirational.

Here's a snapshot of my wrap. I'm now not sure about the stripey effect (having used variegated wool) for the pattern, so it may end up as a scarf. I'll decide when it's done.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 19:36:24

There are several neo-natal units which will use them for premmie babies I think.

Next task - try to knit in the round.
I do have a pattern but it looks a bit complicated.

Lynnebo Tue 30-Jan-18 18:43:01

Jalima, I love to knit in the round - no going backwards and forwards, you just keep going! grin x

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jan-18 18:38:19

Thank you Jalima, I emailed PreemieUK and have been given an address. I did think of The Royal Berks, which isn't too far from us, but found on their web site a mention of items being sold for funds. But, I really didn't want them sold, as I have knitted them to be used in a special care unit.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:16:15

knit in the round
hmm
I have still to get to grips with that.

Lynnebo Tue 30-Jan-18 18:14:58

..... Chunks of ... grin

Lynnebo Tue 30-Jan-18 18:14:16

Hi Jalima1108, the pattern is on Ravelry and it's called Alaska. It's knit in the round and I didn't find it too difficult. I did find myself cutting out chuncks if the coloured wool to add more colour, despite using the yarn advised on the pattern. I'm knitting it again with white trees and a pink brown marble background. smile

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:38:57

Where are you Auntieflo? Premature baby units at most hospitals will be glad of them I think, they are lovely too.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:37:12

It's very nice Lynnebo, did it self-pattern is that a complicated pattern?

Lynnebo Tue 30-Jan-18 11:06:38

I've just finished this hat. If I did it again I would try and organise the colored wool so it wasn't so dark at the bottom ...

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jan-18 10:58:34

Baby hats so far, am still knitting up my excess of white wool. Just need to find out where to send them now.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Jan-18 13:53:31

A couple of posters on here expressed an interest in Margaret's gilet pattern and she sent it to me in the post, so I have uploaded it. Here it is in case of interest:

www.gransnet.com/forums/arts_and_crafts/1244423-Margarets-Gilet-free-knitting-pattern