Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(145 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 07-Jan-18 13:50:12

I'm really enjoying knitting a wrap/shrug - it is basically a long, wide, scarf which is the crossed over at the front, and the two long edges are sewn together at the back for about 6 inches, forming the back and triangular armholes (if that makes sense). Here's the pattern showing the front smile:

www.theknittingnetwork.co.uk/products/ladies-lace-wrap-knitting-pattern?variant=34903288586

It is a lacy pattern repeated over 12 rows and I am knitting it in a soft multi-coloured wool (not spangly as in the pattern). I have visions of it keeping me warm over a long sleeved t-shirt and under a jacket.

What are other knitters busy with?

Scribbles Sun 07-Jan-18 13:55:09

I'm halfway through a sweater started at least 12 months ago that was supposed to keep me warm this winter! Maybe next winter ...

glammanana Sun 07-Jan-18 14:11:41

I am in the process of knitting half a dozen traditional mattinee jackets for our new babies due April & May,I have used the same patterns since my DD was born.

mimiro Sun 07-Jan-18 14:17:16

i can't knit/a lifelong seamstress and can do every other type of needlework.
i envy knitters dgm was an amazing woman,we all had gorgeous sweaters and coats growing up.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:20:29

Scribbles, just finished the one I was knitting for DD about 28 years ago. No-one will wear it so it will go off to a good cause grin

shysal Sun 07-Jan-18 14:21:36

What a pretty wrap, Grannyknot! I have a poorly hand at the moment, but need a new project for when it improves (I hope!).

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:23:17

It is lovely Grannyknot -

Sar53 Sun 07-Jan-18 14:23:29

I am knitting a multi coloured cardigan for my 2 year old granddaughter. I've recently completed 2 cardigans for the twins, now 8 months old and a tiny white cardigan for my new granddaughter, born last Thursday. Now I know she's a she, you know what I mean, I will knit something with colour for her.

mimiro Sun 07-Jan-18 14:28:23

btw its gorgeous /have a friend makes these with circular needles,

www.thespruce.com/how-to-knit-with-circular-needles-2116339

hildajenniJ Sun 07-Jan-18 14:28:43

I am an extremely slow knitter. I much prefer to crochet, as it grows faster and you see the results sooner. I have nothing on at the moment, but made a lovely red shawl for myself and wore it on an evening out recently.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Jan-18 14:30:11

I’ve just finished knitting this for DGD shock

Grannyknot Sun 07-Jan-18 14:32:32

Gosh some amazing projects on here {smile] - love that shawl, Hilda.

Anyone - I am happy to share the pattern for that wrap, just drop me a PM.

lilypollen Sun 07-Jan-18 14:52:42

I've just finished The Very Hungry Caterpillar for DGS. Instructions were a pain but it was worth it.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 15:04:32

Unicorns! very in at the moment.
I knitted one similar but it was a horse with a mane for DD many years ago.

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Jan-18 15:53:44

Some lovely knits on here! I'm definitely not showcasing my growing pile of garter knit squares, which will eventually morph into a Nanna Blanket for Oxfam to sell at a festival. The bright young things like a homespun effect apparently and don't recoil at a dropped stitch or many two. Just as well.

MamaCaz Sun 07-Jan-18 16:07:45

I'm 3/4 of the way through a 4-colour jumper for my grandson. I've complicated things for myself (why do I keep doing this?) by combining /adapting two separate patterns for it!

Nelliemoser Sun 07-Jan-18 16:25:45

A sort of jacket but Christmas has got in the way. I started in about November. I managed one right front so far. I did a several rows of casting on but I had to eventually pull it out all out because I cast on 55 instead of 45 stitches. I will get there eventually.

Billybob4491 Sun 07-Jan-18 16:47:12

I like the shawl Hilda I knit for charity, currently knitting premature baby hats, as there is a great shortage in the hospitals.. Then onto matinee coats, its never ending but I do enjoy it.

Coolgran65 Sun 07-Jan-18 16:47:42

I used to knit a lot of aran sweaters but it's not so easy now with aches and pains, an aran can get heavy to work with.

Now I've been knitting squares in organic cotton for use as dish cloths and pretty face flannels. Recently I ordered some yarn in 12 different colours and when it arrived it was of a finer specification. Deciding to use two balls at once it now knits up into a great potholder.

I have tried many times to crochet but just can't do it well. My best effort is using a chain stitch to create a lace edging around my squares.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Jan-18 17:01:18

Maggiemaybe I knit squares but am now completing yet another jumper started years ago - my NY resolution is to finish projects. It will go off to a good cause too as DD won't want a school jumper now. grin

BBbevan Sun 07-Jan-18 17:11:31

Christmas wreaths. Complete with holly, ivy and hellebores. A friend of a friend wants to sell them at next year's Christmas markets

Niobe Sun 07-Jan-18 17:25:27

I bought 10 balls of cotton yarn at the recent exhibition at the Excel arena. It is a lovely soft lilac and I thought I would make a summer cardi for the warmer months.
DS and DDil are expecting a little boy in May so will start knitting for him later.

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Jan-18 18:50:11

Oh dear, Jalima, I’m the queen of unfinished projects (and sudden enthusiasms that never last). I did finally finish a big tapestry last year that I started in 1974. I loved it once, and its 70s oranges and browns - I really don’t like it now!

Andyf Sun 07-Jan-18 19:05:23

I'm knitting a red Aran cardigan for granddaughter to wear at school. I finished things much quicker before I became glued to this iPad!!

Auntieflo Sun 07-Jan-18 19:33:41

Grannyknot, that is such a pretty wrap. I finished a long ribbed sweater just before Christmas, now have nothing on the go. All this is making my fingers itch to get going again. Billybob4491, will most prem baby units take knitted hats, or should I contact them first? I would enjoy doing that.