Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone paint?

(59 Posts)
JuneS Thu 30-Aug-18 08:52:44

I have decided in my late years to start a new hobby(81). As I have paints of all sorts that I bought in the past but never used, this is to be it or give them away. I have painted a watercolour of two of my gr-grandchildren and then had a go at a pen and wash from a photo of Port Isaac in Cornwall. Quite pleased with the end result but of course need improvement. I hope to keep up my enthusiasm by showing them. Does anyone else on here paint?

Bridgeit Thu 30-Aug-18 08:57:08

These are wonderful, definitely keep showing them .

travelsafar Thu 30-Aug-18 08:58:19

Beautiful, well done. smile

Bridgeit Thu 30-Aug-18 09:02:19

I have tried, I enjoyed it , but they belong in the Tony Hancock gallery ?

Elegran Thu 30-Aug-18 09:04:28

The portrait is very good, JuneS . There was a thread a short time ago under the Arts and Crafts topic on watercolour at www.gransnet.com/forums/arts_and_crafts/1223097-Watercolour-painting which you may find interesting and give you names of other enthusiasts.

Elegran Thu 30-Aug-18 09:06:03

Another on oil painting - www.gransnet.com/forums/arts_and_crafts/1240364-Are-there-any-oil-painting-enthusiasts.

Witzend Thu 30-Aug-18 10:09:37

That portrait is beautiful! You are very talented!
Alas I don't paint, having been last in the queue when artistic ability was dished out. I was so envious of girls at school who would draw lifelike looking ponies all over their rough books. Could perhaps do a just about OK still life of anything right in front of me, but could never do anything out of my head if my life depended on it.

JuneS Thu 30-Aug-18 10:17:57

Thank you for your comments and the links. I am one of those people who have to have a go at different crafts instead of concentrating and getting good on one. Unfortunately arthritis in my hands no longer lets me knit etc but if people can hold a paint brush in their mouth then I should be able to do it. I've not had any teaching but do have a good eye. Will keep at it!!

JuneS Thu 30-Aug-18 10:19:26

I made it sound as if I paint with my mouth. Absolutely not!! grin

Googoogoo1 Tue 04-Dec-18 12:43:52

Those are terrific paintings JuneS. You certainly do have a good eye. Also checked out the link with the oil painting it was superb as well. You have ignited my wish to paint well, I seem to keep hashing it up.

Buffybee Tue 04-Dec-18 12:51:56

You are very talented June, the portrait especially is lovely.
Most of my family are artistic but I have never really thought about trying it.
So, I have enrolled in a Lifelong Learning class for Watercolours,
I start in the New Year, so we'll see how it goes!

Nanabilly Tue 04-Dec-18 14:32:02

I do watercolour painting even though I've not done any for a while , since I became a gran that is , with being a very hands on gran I don't find the time for any of my crafty hobbies any longer.
I have sold some of my paintings too.
Your portrait pictures are very nice ,you have made a good job of the eyes . If you get those wrong you may as well just give in that's why it's best to start with the eyes.
The landscape .. You have the perspective right and the casing is good with lots of detail . It just needs finishing with some shadow , make sure you decide which direction the sun is coming from and figure out where the shadow would be in real life .
Well done . You have some talent.

Nanabilly Tue 04-Dec-18 14:33:17

Casing should read drawing

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:49:02

I used to paint June - but nothing like your standard.
They are lovely.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Dec-18 15:02:21

I too like painting but no where near your standard
They are really lovely especially the portrait

Grandma70s Tue 04-Dec-18 15:03:07

I’d love to be able to paint or draw, but I have zero talent. It’s frustrating. Like Witzend I was very envious of the girls at school who could draw. This envy started when I was still at infant school.

However, I have a granddaughter who shows some ability, so here’s hoping. She’s six and a half. She has been to a great many art exhibitions (her mother, my DIL, works at the Royal Academy, and also organises her own exhibitions), so perhaps if you see enough pictures something rubs off.

Greyduster Wed 05-Dec-18 09:17:26

I sat in on a demonstration at one of our local art shows recently by an artist who said what I have been trying to tell people for ages. You don't need to be able to draw to be able to paint - especially if you are using oils or acrylics. Yes you may need a few rough draughting lines, but nothing intricate. Oil and acrylic cover up a multitude of sins. Watercolour is rather more complicated and needs a bit more ‘forward planning’. One of the hardest lessons I learned was that watercolour dries around two shades lighter so you have to be brave with your depth of colour. But at the end of the day, the way to get started is to jump right in and explore the joy of putting paint on paper (or whatever base you use). Do it and see what jumps out at you. Don’t restrict yourself to brushes - painting with a palette knife can be particularly satisfying. It doesn’t have to be a masterpiece.

JessK Wed 05-Dec-18 10:19:56

Lovely paintings. The portrait is very well done. I paint and draw myself but not to a very high standard. I just find it so relaxing and you achieve something at the end of it even if it's not that good.

henetha Wed 05-Dec-18 10:22:58

That's a beautiful painting, JuneS I used to paint, did two years at Art School ages ago and loved it. I keep telling myself to have another go as it's so relaxing. What put me off was my complete lack of artistic talent!

luluaugust Wed 05-Dec-18 11:39:53

I enjoy having a go with watercolours but not to your standard JuneS really good. It is a relaxing pastime unless someone is wanting to look.

maursey Thu 06-Dec-18 01:11:22

Love the paintings. I have been painting for years now. I started in Acrylics but decided to paint in watercolour which is far more challenging.
I make all of my Christmas cards by printing one of my paintings.
The one below is this years card. I painted the picture two years ago.

Day6 Thu 06-Dec-18 02:06:33

JuneS, you certainly my have talent and should paint more. Over time you'll develop different styles and learn new techniques. Do continue! I admire those who work at their hobbies. I used to enjoy painting and studied Art too, but I haven't picked up a brush since my early 20s.

Day6 Thu 06-Dec-18 02:07:47

My should read do

Yorkshiregel Tue 12-Feb-19 16:19:53

LOVED your painting. You are very talented.

Yorkshiregel Tue 12-Feb-19 16:24:07

If you did two years at Art College you must have absorbed something. Try again! Would love to see what you produce. Don't worry if it is not an impressionist painting. Lowry did some very good paintings of factories! There are some very good paintings by Russians of machinery. Surely there is something you can tackle? Maybe ordinary things such as a cup of tea, a flower, fruit, or the countryside?