Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone paint?

(60 Posts)
JuneS Thu 30-Aug-18 08:52:44

I have decided in my late years to start a new hobby(81). As I have paints of all sorts that I bought in the past but never used, this is to be it or give them away. I have painted a watercolour of two of my gr-grandchildren and then had a go at a pen and wash from a photo of Port Isaac in Cornwall. Quite pleased with the end result but of course need improvement. I hope to keep up my enthusiasm by showing them. Does anyone else on here paint?

Daisymae Thu 08-Aug-19 16:33:47

Knicks - well done you! Can you post a photo of your work?

knickas63 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:09:51

I always used to paint in watercolours, but it came to a stop with the advent of children. Just ran out of time. Recently started again, along with other crafts. Did my first Acrylic painting the other day and it got a highly commended in the County Show. Keen to carry on now.

Daisymae Thu 08-Aug-19 11:30:42

I think I hay attached a pastel pencil of a jack Russell. I love pastel, but do watercolor as well.

Bordersgirl57 Sat 15-Jun-19 14:12:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soop Sat 15-Jun-19 13:33:59

I would like to say that, with encouragement comes confidence. Continue to enjoy your painting and sharing with each other. It is a gift that brings many rewards. flowers

soop Thu 13-Jun-19 16:30:32

I haven't lifted my brush since my mastectomy. Not because I feel unwell. It's more a need for inspiration. I think that this forum has lit a spark. Three more of my pet portraits. Hope that you do not think that I'm being a bore. If so, I'll stop. wink

nightswimmer Thu 13-Jun-19 14:50:02

They're great.

soop Thu 13-Jun-19 13:56:25

I enjoyed looking at all the paintings. Such talent! I am self taught and first picked up a box of watercolour paints when in my fifties. I have hundreds of images. Have sold many and given away more than I count.

soop Thu 13-Jun-19 13:46:55

Greyduster You are very talented. You have been hiding your light under a bushel.

Greyduster Thu 13-Jun-19 12:19:21

All I seem to do is buy brushes these days. Every time I go to an art show or exhibition, I end up buying another (usually very expensive) brush! Do I use them? No. Get yer finger out, Grey! Here are two of mine that didn’t end up in the loft (or the bin). One is a pastel sketch and one a watercolour with a bit of pencil (the white mark down the middle is not there; it’s a reflection from the glass).

Izabella Thu 13-Jun-19 11:38:55

With an MA in Art History I have an understanding, love and appreciation of the subject. But can I draw/paint? No way. Just so thrilled for those of you who can do so and obviously get enjoyment and pleasure. I am lucky enough to have one of ~soops watercolours btw.

goldengirl Thu 13-Jun-19 10:09:00

What lovely paintings - superb detail. I'm very envious. My daughter enjoys art and I dabble but have no skill. I've been given some paints and pencils and an easel[!] and am thinking of having a go at some abstracts. The trouble is I'm still thinking!!! My favourite painters are the Pre-Raphaelites but my very favourite painting is The Hopeless Dawn by Frank Bramley. I used to do a lot of photography too. These posts are very encouraging and hopefully will goad me into action!

grannyqueenie Thu 13-Jun-19 08:22:01

Me neither, phoenix, have no eye at all for it. I doodle, especially if I'm bored in a meeting so bought myself a book about doodling. Well i tried to follow the patterns.....but no joy even there. I fear I’m a lost cause!
Lovely painting, BlueBelle

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jun-19 22:56:40

I did this one for my daughters hallway

phoenix Wed 12-Jun-19 22:23:16

Where's Soop? She paints!

I'm in awe of the talent here, couldn't even do a stick man in proprtion!

CanadianGran Wed 12-Jun-19 22:03:38

wow, nice job all of you that posted! I am not very talented but enjoy drawing and have dabbled in watercolours. Nothing worth framing, LOL!

Keep up all the good work, and thank you for the inspiration. I will pull out from the back of the closet and dust off a bin with some brushes and paper. I have seen the loveliest tutorials on you-tube as well. My lilacs were so lovely this year I plan on sitting and trying my hand again.

In school we had a lot of drawing, but not much painting. I did take a watercolour class for a while but found it a bit discouraging. But I will give it another go.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 21:47:14

crazy so am I but if you fancy giving it a go, go on you tube. There’s loads of advise on there, and you can dabble away to your hearts content with no one looking over your shoulder.

crazyH Wed 12-Jun-19 21:42:43

What lovely paintings - I am sooooo untalented ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 21:40:23

Everyone is so good. I watercolour when I can find time but very amateurish. I do enjoy it though and can get entirely lost in the process.

Lilyaliceart Wed 12-Jun-19 21:00:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lilyaliceart Wed 12-Jun-19 20:53:34

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Eloethan Sun 17-Feb-19 12:00:42

All the paintings here are lovely.

I particularly like the children's portrait. I find children really difficult to draw or paint. The children's expressions are captured so well.

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:51:25

sorry. not quite got the hang of posting photos.

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:48:46

My amateur attempt!

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:43:58

I paint. nothing wonderful. But its fun. Acrylics are good. You can fix mistakes.