Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Photos of things made

(85 Posts)
JuneS Sun 02-Sep-18 16:04:48

Over the years I have had so many different hobbies. The photos of some of them just sit in an envelope and never looked at. If I share my makes will you share yours?
this photo is of fabric dolls now owned by my gr-granddaughters.

MichaelDismukes Wed 19-Sep-18 08:42:15

All the artworks here are really beautiful.

peachlili Tue 25-Sep-18 13:34:29

It's so many beautiful things here. I'm sure you need to have real talent to can make something so good

Witzend Mon 22-Oct-18 19:45:40

I've finished my Nativity set - except for the donkey, and I won't get around to that until I've finished all the little things for Gdd's preschool Christmas fair.
Still all living on top of the piano, though - must think about a stable soon.

Marydoll Mon 22-Oct-18 20:04:02

Witzend, they are fabulous! ?

Lynne59 Mon 22-Oct-18 20:18:54

Aren't you lot clever! I wish I was good at making something. I used to like photography but sold all my cameras and equipment years ago (I needed the money). I've just bought a sewing machine, on a whim, so I may get around to making something yet.....

Bathsheba Mon 22-Oct-18 20:39:09

Auntieflo I'm so sorry I didn't reply to your post - a long time ago now, and I obviously just forgot to return to this thread blush

To answer your question, yes I did use a pattern for the bag - and as luck would have it, it is a free pattern! I came across it in this blog and followed the link to this website which has a download link for the pattern.
It is very easy to make, but you do need to have various bits and bobs to complete it as per the pattern. Though I'm thinking of making some changing to the next one I make, because I didn't feel the faux leather flap closure was a complete success.

Auntieflo Mon 22-Oct-18 22:21:03

Bathsheba thanks for that. I’ll have a look. I have finished my latest project, two knitted cushions for the new sofas. Also still crocheting poppies for our church display in November, think I have done enough now though.

grannyqueenie Mon 22-Oct-18 22:32:24

What a lot of very talented grabs there are. Sadly seeing, knitting, crochet, drawing or painting are not my strengths at all. But over the last few years have increasingly enjoyed photography and have recently had some printed as cards.

grannyqueenie Mon 22-Oct-18 22:34:21

grabs and seeing??? grans and sewing more like, oh for an edit button.

Bathsheba Mon 22-Oct-18 22:56:40

Your cards look great grannyqueenie. I used to do a lot of photography, and have a rather good camera with lots of lenses and accessories, but I haven't picked it up for 2 or 3 years now. Think I should sell it all really.
And then, I look at your lovely photos and think "Oh I used to love doing that!!" Thing is, I don't have time now to spend on uploading, editing etc, as I've got too involved in other hobbies in the meantime.

Witzend Tue 23-Oct-18 09:13:56

Those cards are beautiful, grannyqueenie!

We have a niece (17) from Singapore staying for her half term from boarding school. Until I showed her the picture of the donkey I was going to add, she actually thought I had made the Nativity set out of my own head, with no pattern!

I hastened to assure her that I could never have done such a thing if my life depended on it!

gmelon Tue 23-Oct-18 12:06:59

Witzend Are you using the Alan Dart nativity pattern?

I have the Noahs Ark pattern from his collection as well as the nativity.
Also many various Alan Dart designs for toys Christmas or otherwise.

The photos on here show lovely creations.
Time spent well.

Witzend Tue 23-Oct-18 14:44:28

No, gmelon, it's the (extremely easy and straightforward!) Jean Greenhowe pattern in her Christmas Special book. The donkey, which I still have to make, is in her Christmas Treasures book.

I haven't seen a Noah's Ark pattern - that sounds interesting. Are the Alan Dart patterns simple? The JG ones are all very simple and the instructions are meticulously detailed. I saw on her website that she's always designed them all so that anyone who just knit and purl, increase and decrease, can easily tackle them.

gmelon Tue 23-Oct-18 15:20:48

witzend
Alan Dart patterns are detailed. There is a lot of really clever little extras so it can be a bit more knitting.

I've never come across anything other than the normal stitches and shaping. The instructions are very good.

The Noahs ark is great fun.
Google his name. I'd send a link but I'm not that clever!

gmelon Tue 23-Oct-18 15:26:24

I will Google Jean Greenhowe.
I like the accidental longer cloak on your first wiseman it makes him look very statesmanlike.

gmelon Tue 23-Oct-18 15:32:27

Pinterest have lots of images for Alan Dart.
The Christmas robins turn out lovely.

Witzend Sun 04-Nov-18 14:29:03

I can't find any robins on the Alan Dart website. Are they only on Pinterest?

gmelon Sun 04-Nov-18 18:07:50

Hi there witzend The pattern is Garden Birds.
I've had a look. Alan Dart website garden birds. £2.50.

gmelon Sun 04-Nov-18 18:08:30

Hope you find it, i must learn to do links.

Witzend Sun 04-Nov-18 18:41:14

Thanks, Gmelon, found it easily amd have ordered. Would,like to make a robin for the Christmas tree!

gmelon Wed 07-Nov-18 16:31:31

Hello witzend
I'm very glad you found the patternsmile
Enjoy knitting your robin, you'll find one isn't enough and get addicted.

Witzend Wed 07-Nov-18 19:31:18

I have finally added Eeyore to my Nativity set. Still haven't thought properly about a stable - I hope they won't all still be living on top of the piano by Christmas.

Bellanonna Wed 07-Nov-18 20:09:34

I feel incredibly envious of all of you. Thank you so much for sharing such lovely talent.

gmelon Wed 07-Nov-18 23:08:35

Really lovely Witzend well done.
I like the finished figures They are very clear and recognisable. Ive seen some fiddly little nativities.
The
figures look quite large.
How tall are the main figures?

Coolgran65 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:36:57

This is my most recent, it is a blanket/throw for the living room. I knitted squares 8" x 8" and sewed them up. My dgd aged 10 sewed in the wool ends on each square for me. It was lovely working on it together. I then used the left over wool to make a matching cushion cover using squares 4" x 4" on one side and stripes on the other side.