Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What is your favourite tv programme?

(57 Posts)
Brendaj Sat 27-Oct-18 21:20:10

I enjoy watching tv but in the winter there does not seem to be anything interesting to watch expect soaps as usual. All the programmes seem pretty boring on average. I enjoy watching strictly come dancing though. it reminds me of going dancing when I was in my teens. Happy days.

Floradora9 Sun 28-Oct-18 16:32:08

We stick to 2 hours of watching per day recording most things to skip the adds. No soaps , no any kind of competition whether dancing talent or baking. Antique Roadshow os a must Vera when it is on really enjoyed the night manager and press and waiting for the last episode of Strangers . We watched them in two week lots . If I could bring back any programme it would be Blockbusters I used to love it . Any of the old Miss Marples films were great with Joad Hickson . She was the best Jane Marples ever.

NanKate Sun 28-Oct-18 17:16:11

If you have Amazon Prime there are three series of Outlander based on the Diana Gabaldon books. They are historical, gritty, Romance, adventures with a time slip theme. I have read all the books and enjoy the series as much. Can’t wait for series 4 which starts 5 November.

Grandma70s Sun 28-Oct-18 17:27:12

I’ve watched The Crown so far on free offers from Netflix. Trying to work out how to do that when Olivia Colman takes over from Claire Foy (can she be as good?).

starbird Sun 28-Oct-18 19:20:08

I only have freeview otherwise I would watch the crown - it is nice when on the rare occasion there is something that makes you laugh.

I am watching Simon Reeve - Meditteranean - I really admire his reporting, he finds something different, is unbiased and empathic. Also House of Assad. If Outlander is coming back I may watch it - saw the most recent two series, but was getting a bit fed up with the perfect couple and find them a bit unbelievable. I quite like Gogglebox. Just looked at next week’s programmes and saw nothing I wanted to watch but luckily have lots of stuff recorded (including The Cry) so will work through it - some of it is more than a year old!
Have been reading instead today - ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ a sort of Chinese Pride and Prejudice. I only put it down because my kindle needed recharging. It is funny in places but also upsetting to see how the rich ( of any culture) spend their money. I know it is fiction but I doubt if there’s anything in the book that doesn’t happen in real life. I will probably watch the film when it comes on tv.

Eloethan Sun 28-Oct-18 23:22:22

I have enjoyed all the Line of Duty series, Unforgotten, The Cry, Dr Foster, etc. I would like to see the return of Last Tango in Halifax, Scott & Bailey and Happy Valley.

I too have given up on soaps - Eastenders several years ago and Coronation Street quite recently. I do like Holby City though and I suppose that's a sort of soap.

I enjoy Vera, Endeavour and Shetland.

I like current events programmes like Dispatches, Panorama, etc., and comedy programmes like Have I got new for you, Room 101 and Would I lie to you.

(I think winter programmes are generally much better than summer ones).

Eloethan Sun 28-Oct-18 23:22:49

I thought Press was really good too.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Oct-18 23:33:00

I like nature programmes, particularly with David Attenborough, medical documentaries, forensic and murder documentaries. Cheery soul, me.
I do also like Would I Lie To You, and Escape To The Country.

Nanos Mon 29-Oct-18 07:36:29

I adore Classic Coronation Street. Alec Gilroy and Bet are just terrific.

Blinko Mon 29-Oct-18 08:02:15

Old People's Home for Four Year Olds has been a must for me. Uplifting and inspirational, it should be enshrined in government policy.

I like HIGNFY, quiz programmes, current affairs, Lewis and Midsommer Murders, Would I Lie to You and Mock the Week. Strictly is beginning to get more interesting. I also like property and garden makeovers.

I haven't watched soaps since dear Mum died. I used to watch with her, Corrie and Emmerdale.

Charleygirl5 Mon 29-Oct-18 09:16:45

I enjoy shows like Lewis, Vera, Line of Duty, Morse, Midsummer Night Murders,Shetland and numerous others.

Then there are some property programmes, Locationx3 and I cannot remember the title of the other with Phil and Kirsty in it.

My guilty secret is also 4 in a bed and I do enjoy the Chase.

I loved Downton Abbey and I like to watch Strictly but nowadays it is frequently Z list celebrities.

annep Mon 29-Oct-18 09:51:33

A good drama comes first but not violence or too graphic detective. I want tv to make me feel happy. We loved Home Fires and Indian Summers and sadly the new series didnt happen sad
Countdown Neighbours Property progs HIGNFY Mock the Week. try to avoid news nowadays.guilty one?- QVC fashion.

Anniebach Mon 29-Oct-18 10:46:22

I am feeling really grumpy about tv at the moment. Haven't been able to concentrate and I love crime dramas. I found
‘wire In The Blood’ down loaded the lot. Watched three series and really enjoyed it. Settled down to watch 4th series,
Hermione Norris left and replaced by an actress who mumbles and I can’t understand her accent.

Like all Crime Drama, but not American, HIGNFY, Gogglebox, Neighbours, BBC Wales programmes on walks through Wales. Don’t watch anything to do with cooking or property,

GrandmasueUK Mon 29-Oct-18 11:32:56

Love the crime dramas like CSI and Criminal Minds, binge watched Scandal but got fed up with their Shondra Rhimes way of speaking - in spurts of three statements!
Loved No Offence and currently watching Scott & Bailey from the beginning. Talking Pictures has some good/mediocre/truly terrible B Movies. A couple of little gems on there were 'Arthur's Dyke' with Pauline Quirke and 'Jigsaw' from 1962 with Jack Warner. I've enjoyed Gideon's Way with some well-known actors in surprising roles and 'Family At War again with really young actors. (Benedict Cumberbatch's parents Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carlton met on this set.) John Nettles was very young and very thin in this!

Brendaj Tue 30-Oct-18 21:18:51

BLINKO.I agree with you that the programme where they bring four years into a care home is brilliant.the children really enjoy talking and playing with the grown-ups. I love the way that the children help them.I think everybody gets a great deal of out it.it is a shame it is not brought out in every part of the country.

Lynne59 Wed 31-Oct-18 19:53:06

There are very few programmes.

I like wildlife documentaries, any real-life health/surgery programmes, and I love Frasier in the mornings (they're years old, so all repeats, but funny and well-written.

I don't like any soaps, reality programmes, sports, cookery/home/holiday things. I'm usually upstairs, on here on YouTube, whilst my husband is downstairs watching Poirot/Heartbeat/CSI/some other old thing

Flossieturner Thu 01-Nov-18 08:42:10

For mindless watching
Letter Box
Tipping Point
Impossible

For interest

The antique road show
The big Family cooking show.

For entertainment
I like Marple and Poirot
I have just started to watch Condor on Universal Channel.
I also like the Closer and Major Crimes on Universal.

DH likes The Good Place which is on Netflix. He chuckles away, which is u usual for him.

Mabel2 Wed 07-Nov-18 15:46:40

Hate soaps, I watch a lot of historical programmes but also things like Find it, fix it, flog it and Shed and buried. I used to watch NCIS, and enjoy Criminal minds, SWAT and programmes like Broadchurch. Currently loving Murdoch Mysteries whilst awaiting the return of 'The Curse of Oak Island'

cavewoman Wed 07-Nov-18 16:13:13

Quiz programmes for me. Especially Only Connect and Mastermind.
For my monthly ironing marathon I watch all five episodes of Come Dine with me!
Where are the comedy shows nowadays?

Maggiemaybe Wed 07-Nov-18 16:25:26

I think we're very well served for TV programmes, particularly in the colder months. I've recently really enjoyed Killing Eve, Unforgotten, No Offence, Vanity Fair, The Cry, amongst others. I'm looking forward to seeing Line of Duty again, and hoping for a new series of Happy Valley, another favourite. I like a good quiz - Impossible, Only Connect, University Challenge. HIGNFY and Room 101 have aged well. I'm not really into wildlife programmes, and not at all into all the singing/cooking/dancing/reality stuff, but see a few excerpts from them all on Gogglebox, which can be really funny. And I caught The Mighty Redcar recently, which was excellent, full of likeable locals instead of the usual stereotypes. I still enjoy The Apprentice, and Coronation Street is my comfort blanket, along with proper cosy Sunday night programmes like Downton and Victoria. I actually watch a lot of television blush, but never during the daytime.

glammagran Wed 07-Nov-18 16:26:23

Still enjoy Strictly but otherwise dramas and documentaries. Simon Reeve’s Mediterranean was very good indeed - had no idea veg growers who supply most of Europe live in such appalling conditions in southern Spain. Watch good BBC serials, Scandi noir and French. Favourite is Spiral

morethan2 Wed 07-Nov-18 17:43:36

I’m a sucker for any historical drama or factual programmes. Especially Tudor or roman. I’ve enjoyed Simon Reeves Mediterranean programme and others of that ilk. Dramas like the bodyguard, killing eve and the milder Lewis and Vera. I love Gogglebox and Have I got news for you. Daily politics, question time and Andrew Marr because I like hissing at the T.V and to keep up my swearing skills blush Opps it looks like I watch to much television. blush I’m not keen on the new reality programmes, bake off, quizz shows or soaps. I used to love em but perhaps I’ve reached overdose. Anyone see last nights one off drama about the trafficking of young women? I knew I shouldn’t have watch it because I just find that kind of television really upsetting, and yet I feel these kind of docu dramas are important. I think I’m getting far to sensitive in my old age. I spend a good deal of time with a cushion at the ready these days.

Gonegirl Wed 07-Nov-18 17:47:37

Holby City. 'Enders is good at the moment. Well, it always has good characters.

starbird Fri 16-Nov-18 11:13:01

I am glad celebrity hunted has finished and two got through. Well done AJ . I seethe with indignation at how the catchers get into everything and everyone that the hunted person knows, and the almost personal hatred that seems to come across from that old man who is the team leader of the hunters. It shows how easily wars happen that just a game can lead to such strong feelings. But I have a niggling suspicion that they let someone win each time to please the audience - I wish the Eggheads would do that sometimes. Some or all of them must have photograpic memories or something and I think should not be allowed on the team!

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 14:15:05

I know someone whose team won over £20,000 on Eggheads, Starbird. It’s no wonder they always beat us in our pub quiz!

grannyactivist Fri 16-Nov-18 14:32:01

Just me that watches Doctors then? It's the only soap I watch and it's lighthearted, well acted (mostly) and isn't afraid to tackle big issues, but in a way that doesn't make me cringe. I very rarely watch anything on TV, so I catch up when I can on iPlayer. I quite like Strictly and I enjoy a good drama, but miss out on a lot because I can't stand adverts so don't often see ITV unless something has had rave reviews.