Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What age were you

(128 Posts)
Maywalk Wed 05-Dec-18 16:47:32

when you learnt to knit???

I had to give up knitting last year after it being a soothing pastime for me for over 79 years. I learnt to knit on four needles when I was about 9 years old while sitting in the Anderson shelter in 1940 during the London Blitz. . Unfortunately illness has robbed me of being able to grip the needles now but looking back and wondering how I managed to knit on size 14 or 2mm as they are now I realise how many hours were spent knitting a jumper in 2ply yarn especially with having to cast on nearly 200 stitches for each side.

Witzend Fri 07-Dec-18 09:13:21

Re Brownies, it was back in the 80s and we were overseas, but a young dd's friend was suitably incensed when the Brownies were expected to knit, while the Cubs went 'sausage sizzling' on the beach.

Same child came home to her mother (my friend) saying, 'Brown Owl says you've got to teach me to knit.'

Reply from somewhat harassed friend with 3 young children was on the lines of, 'If Brown Owl wants you to learn to knit, she can teach you herself!' There might well have been the odd expletive added!

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Dec-18 09:59:19

We had to knit at school and started in the “babies” class so I was 4.
That does NOT mean I was any good though!

Nannytopsy Fri 07-Dec-18 10:13:37

I must have been 6, as my Nan taught me and she died when I was 7. At school, all the girls had knitting lessons during what is now called year 3, age 7-8. We knitted stocking stitch waistcoats for teddies, complete with button holes!

Oldfossil Fri 07-Dec-18 10:24:20

Well, I’m 70 next year and I am currently learning to knit! I’m impressed that so many GNetters learned when they were small. My mother was a wonderful knitter but somehow I never learned. I was in awe of her flashing needles , I think. I’m currently stymied by not understanding some knitting terminology in a pattern I am attempting. Not long ago, it seems, there were lots of elderly ladies in my life whom I could have asked to help me.....but now, I realise, they aren’t there any more - and I am in the the elderly lady category myself!

B9exchange Fri 07-Dec-18 10:24:51

My mother must have taught me, I can't remember when, but I remember knitting a chunky sweater when I was 13, and a hideous purple cardigan for a boyfriend who actually wore it, and became DH! My mother used to knit a lot for my children, but when the dementia took over they became a funny shape. She said she would knit a ballet cardigan for my daughter, and she did, but it was so odd I had to unwind and reknit it quickly so as not to hurt her feelings, it made me cry that she could no longer knit, but thought she could.

I still find it relaxing, have just finished a baby blanket with my son and dil's initials in the centre for the new arrival due February. Love Jean Greenhowe's designs, I expect a lot of GNKnitters will be doing her things for Christmas?

henetha Fri 07-Dec-18 10:29:09

I could knit from the earliest age that I can remember. Knitting was a big part of my life for many years and I must have knitted hundreds of garments of one sort or another.
But I've gone off it big time now; can't imagine how I ever liked it. I'm all knitted out!

maryhoffman37 Fri 07-Dec-18 10:41:27

I can't actually remember being taught to knit or crochet but it must have been my mother who taught me. I can do both and have made baby blankets for all five grandchildren, my niece's second baby and a couple of friends. I've even made them for oldest daughter's cats! I do it while watching TV, which my mother always said was a "time-waster" and would never do without a piece of work in her hands.

Theoddbird Fri 07-Dec-18 10:41:59

I was about 5....

Skynnylynny Fri 07-Dec-18 10:46:35

Learned to knit when I was about 7 but never very enthusiastic until I had my DD. I saw and bought a pattern for a dress for her. There were 3 patterns in the booklet and the one I really liked turned out to be crochet which I’d never learned. Went back to the shop and was sold a teach yourself crochet book and I did! Preferred crochet to knitting after that and only gave up when arthritis made it too difficult. My youngest DD is still using a baby blankets or her latest addition that I crocheted over 40 years ago.

GabriellaG Fri 07-Dec-18 10:57:56

Before I married...possibly in my late teens.

trisher Fri 07-Dec-18 10:58:24

I learned at school and did pot holders OK, but it was the sock knitting when I was 9 or 10that got me, as well. Turning a heel was hell! My mum was a skillled and quick knitter. In later life she knitted for the wool people Rowan, her garments were photographed and on display in stores. We were shopping in York once when she announced "That's one of mine" about a cardigan on the wool counter. I never got to knit well, when I got stuck I just used to hand the knitting to mum!

Sheilasue Fri 07-Dec-18 11:00:44

I can’t I am hopeless my lovely sil is a wonderful knitter.
She has her first gc in April and the baby has had such a lot of things knitted which are lovely.
My niece my sil dd is so pleased too.

00mam00 Fri 07-Dec-18 11:10:55

My mother taught me probably when I was about 7 but she was left handed and I am right handed, so I have never been as fast and skillfull as a ‘proper’ right hander. I have knitted on and off through the years. I remember knitting huge jumpers when I was about 12 or 13 in double knit. You could reserve enough wool for a project in the local shop and buy a skein when you had enough pocket money to spare. When I had my children a friend gave me a French knitting pattern book. The designs were so much more interesting than English ones, I really enjoyed knitting them. It’s years since I knitted a garment, but occasionally I alter a bought jumper by unravelling neckline, cuffs or hem to redesign it. I learnt to sew and embroider at an early age and still make a lot of my clothes.

JessK Fri 07-Dec-18 11:14:21

I think I was about six when I first learnt to knit. My dear grandmother taught me. I've knitted on and off since then and find it very relaxing. I like to source old patterns as it's quite easy to convert the ounces to grams of wool and I love the 30s 40s styles.

Diggingdoris Fri 07-Dec-18 11:28:27

I was six and my Dad cut a pair of plastic, thick needles in half and made the point with sandpaper. My Mum taught me with these and chunky wool, and I have used the same needles to teach my daughter and grand-daughters. I could never part with them. Maybe they can be used to teach great grandchildren as well. Hope I'm still around to see that!

lindiann Fri 07-Dec-18 11:33:49

My older brother taught me to knit and also tie my shoe laces at about four. He has learning disabilties but was so patient with us younger kids smile

Craftycat Fri 07-Dec-18 11:34:33

About 8 I think - we had to make a hat & scarf for our favourite doll as school. I can't remember what the boys did but I bet it was more interesting!
Hated it then & not keen even now. However I can crochet very well- Grandma taught me & she crocheted bedspreads for Harrods during the war. so was just a bit good!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 07-Dec-18 11:35:08

Don't recall the age I learned to knit but my first attempt was to knit myself a sweater but that was not until my mid sixties. Turned out well. My mother and aunt did all the baby knitting and sewing so I had not felt the need. However in my forties I went to night class to learn how to crochet . Don't do either any more when arthritis in my hands made it too painful.

Parsley3 Fri 07-Dec-18 11:40:39

I have always knitted so I must have been about 6 when I learned. I remember knitting a pot holder at school. I still knit but mostly novelty hats and Christmas decorations as no one will wear my knitted jumpers. Except me, of course. I knitted myself a lovely fluffy one.

nipsmum Fri 07-Dec-18 11:56:40

I was taught to knit by Miss Robertson at primary school when i was about 9 years old. I have knitted ever since and still do. Most of my knitting is for charity now and i am teaching my 9 year old grand daughter to knit. I've knitted many 2 ply lace shawls for babies and it is still my favourite thing to knit. The baby the last one was knitted for is due anytime now.

4allweknow Fri 07-Dec-18 12:02:59

Learned to knit the basics and to sew by hand at primary school about age 9. Thought I was fantastic being able to knit a weird shaped scarf ( as per instructions). Then a girl from Shetland arrived in the class and basically we all just stopped knitting in amazement at her ability to knit on four needles, do fair isle designs almost without looking at what she was doing. Gave up until I had children and started making the usual matinee coats, progressed to greater things and now go to a knit and natter group weekly, love it. As for sewing, I did keep that up, electric sewing machine for my 14th birthday landing up making curtains for nearly every house in the street. Took to dressmaking making clothes for my daughter. Still enjoy having a go now and again but it isn't as sociable as knitting. Now you have to go to college to learn how to sew on a button.

inishowen Fri 07-Dec-18 12:22:52

My mum taught me when i was about 6, but I didn't take to it. However I got the basics. When we were aged 8 at school we had to take needlework classes. i found I loved to sew, and quite enjoyed knitting. At 11 we had to complete a sweater for ourselves. I really got into knitting when my grandchildren came along, but the 6 year old has told me she's too old for knitted things!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 07-Dec-18 12:33:04

I was a late learner due to being left handed and was about 10 or 11 before I finally got the hang of it. Use to knit a great deal when the kids were younger but stopped for many years. Recently I have taken it up again and have just a one class on knitting socks on 4 needles so now there is no stopping me Also love to crochet.

Aepgirl Fri 07-Dec-18 12:34:48

My sister taught me to knit whilst I was recovering from Measles when I was 6. I remember knitting a cardigan for my Brownie Knitting Badge and Brown Owl not believing that I had made it. I then was taught to crochet by my mother when I was about 10. Still love doing these.

holidaynana Fri 07-Dec-18 12:40:38

My mum taught me to knit when I was about 10. I seem to remember it being a bit of a trial as I’m left handed. I got the hang of it eventually and I have knitted all sorts over the years. I particularly enjoy Aran patterns as I like the challenge.

I’m currently a nana in waiting and have just finished a lovely pink baby blanket. I’m planning to do a matinee jacket next.