Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitted breasts!!

(59 Posts)
Witzend Tue 12-Feb-19 14:05:35

This morning I emailed my local hospital to ask whether they wanted any twiddle muffs, since I'd just about finished my first.
They replied so quickly, saying yes please, and would I also like to make any knitted breasts, for community midwives to use when talking about breastfeeding! Because they are 'desperately low'.
A pattern was included.
Colour of yarn not important so purple with a green nipple is fine. However I have a big ball of not very nice pink to use up, so I'm glad it won't be wasted.

Elegran Thu 14-Feb-19 14:10:28

The Knitted Knockers US website has a list of suitable yarns, which is reached through a link on their Frequently Asked Questions Page There is a separate UK site as well, who probably have a similar list but it if so it is in their members' section, which is only accessible to knitters who have joined.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 14:14:19

You would certainly have to have a soft non scratchy knitted boob.
That's what I was thinking too Gettingitrightoneday - the thought of someone knitting a boob with rather scratchy wool to wear next to tender skin makes me cringe.

Elegran Thu 14-Feb-19 14:27:08

A boob made from scratchy wool would not be accepted and sent to a patient asking for one. On the list of suitable yarns, one is specifically mentioned as UNsuitable - "Please note that “I Love this Cotton” from Hobby Lobby is too heavy & washes up stiff when air dried so is not appropriate for knitted knockers."

Elegran Thu 14-Feb-19 14:30:55

It seems that knitting them is not a free-and-easy affair with people making them to any pattern from any old wool and handing them out to just anybody. They are knitted but not sewn up, and sent to the organisation where they are checked, stuffed and sewn up and issued to mastectomy patients who have written asking for them.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-Feb-19 08:51:59

Witzend
Twiddle muff and knitted knockers are just the sort of language he would use to get a laugh out of the audience, if put in a context which had other meanings.
My mentioning his name does not mean that I was a fan of his humour but you don't need to be a fan to know his type of 'comedy.

Gaggi3 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:56:50

There was knitting available for anyone who wanted to do some while waiting at the radiotherapy unit where I had my treatment, sunseeker. Maybe there's one near you which wold welcome your wool.

Moomintwo Sat 16-Feb-19 11:14:01

Twiddle muffs for dementia

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Feb-19 11:57:01

making all this stuff for the hospitals. Isn't it sad that they are no provided ....
I don't see anything sad about it at all, grandMattie. So many items are needed because they often can't be re-used for fear of cross-contamination. There are plenty of willing helpers who are more than happy to find something useful to do with their hands while they're watching TV! I'm a basic knitter, but have made dozens of little preemie hats recently for our local hospitals. They've let us know now that they've got plenty, and have asked for matinee jackets. I thought that might be beyond my basic skills, but have found an easy all-in-one pattern that's perfect. I think it's lovely for parents to get something for their baby that's a bit individual and made with love, rather than a regulation NHS item.